Word to the wise: Make sure you get Sam Cooke Portrait Of A Legend before its OOP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Before this SACD goes OOP, please get it. Great artist, great comp, great sound.

2. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

What -- have you heard something?
    Besides the album, I mean.

Oh, the SACD. Those tapes are old and older -- does the SACD make a noticable difference? Is the albu dual-layer and I just didn't notice?

3. bartels76

It's SACD and redbook and will be just DSD redbook very soon.

4. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Done.

5. bartels76

I'm probably going to pick up the others soon. I have the Copa disc but not the other 2.

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

A must own, indeed, as is NIGHT BEAT (just a redbook tho').

7. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Many of the Stereo tracks on this set were new mixes from the multi-tracks, meaning this new mixes are "in the can" ready to be used again, if required. The original RCA Mono "hit" mixes are sitting in a vault...

Bob :confused:

8. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Ah but, these new stereo mixes are "great" mixes! I like them...:)

9. ubik333

ubik333 Active Member

Agreed...and would seem the pefect companion to the newly remastered Live At The Harlem Square Club(with additional material) and Night Beat available September 20th.

Jerry

10. ubik333

ubik333 Active Member

....and all in conjunction with Peter Guralnick's masterful new biography - Dream Boogie - which through unmatched access to family and friends, paints a dazzling portrait of this star-crossed phenom.

Jerry

11. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I'm pretty happy with the RCA greatest hits (the rare 22-track version with Another Saturday Night) and the very fine sounding redbook Keep Movin' On, which ABKCO sent me for review. I have never seen the redbook or SACD of KMO in Montreal!

12. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

This is a great collection, but I am not fond of the ABKCO remix of my one of my favorite Sam Cooke tracks, "Shake." The mix on the old RCA "The Man And His Music" CD has a lot more punch, though the RCA CD in general sufferes from ghastly remastering.

13. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

I'm glad that I purchased this disc about a month ago. Like others have written, I enjoy the mixes and find the overall sound to be excellent. I do agree that the original RCA mono mixes should be released, though.

14. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Thanks for the tip. I've been waiting for 'Live At The Harlem Square Club' to be remastered but hadn't realized that a release date had been set.

I enjoy the SACD 'Portrait of a Legend' collection very much. IMO, great sound and a great track list. Everyone should own this.

As well, if you're interested in the Billy Joel SACD version of 'The Stranger' you should purchase that asap. Out of six local brick and mortar retailers. only one had copies and they were grossly over-priced. I looked it up on Amazon.ca, Amazon.com, Acoustic Sound, Red Trumpet, Music Direct and Elusive Disc. Only Elusive Disc had it listed. It is truly scarce and I wouldn't be surprised that it disappears quite soon (OOP).

BTW, the sound quality of the 'The Stranger' SACD has been highly praised on this forum.

15. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

If they'll send me a copy, I'll mention it on this board, too!

16. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I went out today and bought the SACD based on this thread--I'm no huge Sam Cooke fan but I do have the RCA-PCD1-7127 "The Man and His Music" 28 tracks (made in Japan @1986) in my collection --my question is: Is there any reason to keep it? Ive learned thru history on the old DCC forum and this forum that haste in making such decisions often ends in regret. BTW my Best Buy had two copies.

Mike

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi all,

I agree with this post! Get this disc while you can. The sound quality has never been bettered and the song selection is superb. Much better than either RCA comp in all ways! Arguably the first time the real masters have been used in years. This obsoletes all earlier collections. Run, don't walk to buy it! The next best thing to an SH mastering job!

18. Chris Wheeler

Chris Wheeler Forum Resident

I just received Portrait Of A Legend from Amazon, and while their product page states that its a Hybrid SACD, it seems to be just DSD redbook, according to my SACD player...

19. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I picked up another copy at Best Buy yesterday, not so much as an investment as a safety copy. Yes, this is a great disc!

They're still out there in the brick and mortars; at least you can be sure you're getting the SACD.

20. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Mike, check the tracklistings. I think The Man & His Music has 1 or 2 tracks not on Portrait of a Legend. So yes, it's worth keeping.

21. pjaizz

pjaizz Forum Resident

Shawn is right as rain! This is a superb disc sonically. If you even think you like Sam Cooke, get it while you can!!

22. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Thanks for the tip! I picked this up today. What a great SACD... all 83+ minutes of it!! Say what you will about abkco and their strange release practices, but they certainly give you your money's worth! :thumbsup:

23. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

I have to get "Copa" and "Keep on Moving On" and I'm done! Apparenently theres a import only hybrid SACD, "Portrait to the Lady..." From Sam Cooke's Website:

"ABKCO has also re-released and adorned with nine bonus tracks 1959's "Tribute to the Lady," Cooke's classically styled homage to Billie Holiday, which has been unavailable since 1960. Though licensing prevents the disc from being sold in North America, it is obtainable as an import."
    http://www.samcooke.com/reviews_frmsrc01.html
    http://www.samcooke.com/tribute_frmsrc.html

Can not seem to find "Lady" anywhere, even on eBay, Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct, Elusive Disc, and Red Trumpet. What gives?

and this, looks interesting...will "Nightbeat" and "Live at the Harlem Square Club," be on SACD? Th efollowing press release from 2003 hopes so, but nowadays, who knows?

"Klein also hopes that ABKCO will eventually be able to partner with RCA and reissue on SACD Cooke's seminal 1963 blues album, "Nightbeat," and "Live at the Harlem Square Club," the sweaty counterpoint to "Copa." Coupled with 2002's superb "Sam Cooke With the Soul Stirrers, The Complete Specialty Recordings" box set, these would make available in newly remastered form every essential Cooke recording."
    http://www.samcooke.com/reviews_frmsrc01.html

24. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

25. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

Missed out on the SACD. Wonder will this be as good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portrait-Legend-Sam-Cooke/dp/B00H31D9XY/ref=sr_1_18?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389688312&sr=1-18&keywords=blu ray audio
    Product Description
    High Fidelity Pure Audio edition of the Sam Cooke album Portrait of a Legend. High Fidelity Pure Audio is a range of physical HD audio products from Universal Music Group which uses Blu-ray technology to deliver the ultimate listening experience to the user. High Fidelity Pure Audio discs are playable through all Blu-ray devices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.