Has Steve ever worked on any Mancini?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DanG, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street Thread Starter

Couldn't find anything in the discography, but I saw this blurb at AMG:

In 1999 the reactivated Buddha Records label gave The Music from Peter Gunn a new and sharper digital transfer and added the four best tracks on More Music from Peter Gunn. The improved sound and the extra tracks definitely justify the upgrade for those who own the old CD, and make this a doubly valuable addition to any jazz or soundtrack collection of the era.

Sounds promising, eh? So I had to ask, maybe this just slipped through the cracks and belongs in the discography. ;)

I think most people have heard the theme from the Pink Panther, Peter Gunn, and other great Mancini hits. That's been about my total exposure to Mancini until now. I was just treated to a copy of Breakfast at Tiffany's, and I was knocked out. The instrumentation, the melodies, the jazz arrangements. Boy! And I had no idea Mancini has won four Oscars, and 20 Grammys, the all-time record for a pop artist. (Five Grammys and two Oscars for Breakfast at Tiffany's alone!).

2. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I think "Breakfast At Tiffany's" has been released just recently by Speaker Corner on 180-gram vinyl.
    Check out the US JVX XRCD's of both "Breakfast At Tiffany's" and "Charade." They are both sound excellent and very analog-sounding.

3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

4. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

5. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Could you please tell me if this is the US JVX XRCD's of "Breakfast At Tiffany's" you are talking about.

6. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Henry Mancini's Greatest Hits is a great sounding CD. It was mastered by Joe Lopes in 1987.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Agreed, that's the one! Short but sweet.

8. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Sorry for the typo. Yes I was talking about the US JVC XRCD.

9. jojopuppyfish

I tried to find this on amazon with no luck.
    Any help?

10. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

The original mid-80s "Pink Panther" soundtrack CD is quite good, and so are almost all of the spanish Mancini soundtrack releases. "Arabesque" has some high end distortion though, but it may be on the original tapes. The best of them all are the japanese issues of "Charade" and "Two for the Road". Very tube-ish sounding.

Arne

11. Some of the LPs have a little distortion as I recall (I seem to remember there being a little in "Royal Blue", for instance) but I may not be remembering correctly.

12. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Could you post the Catalog number and a scan of the cover or maybe the tracklisting?

13. jojopuppyfish

I have the 80s Pink Panther sdtk and was wondering if the remaster was better. I was happy with the original and have just held on to it. Any help?

14. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Henry Mancini/Pure Gold

The catalogue #: RCA/BMG 3667-2-R
    The songs: Moon River
    Days Of Wine And Roses
    Charade
    Moment To Moment
    Love Theme From "Romeo And Juliet"
    The Pink Panther Theme
    Mr. Lucky
    Baby Elephant Walk
    Peter Gunn
    It Had Better Be Tonight
    The cover:

Attached Files:

15. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

16. triple

triple Senior Member

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, one of the better Time-Life CD's...it's packed.:)

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The only signature song omitted from "Instrumental Favorites" is "Baby Elephant Walk"

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

WOW, that's a drag! Dennis is one of my all time favorites...possibly it was the subject, and not Dennis...He's well respected around here...I missed that posting also.

20. Russ

Russ Outlaw

This is a really good disc and my personal favorite. It doesn't credit who mastered it but it has a warm analog sound.

[​IMG]

21. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

I missed it too! :cry:

22. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Yeah! I recently took the CD out for a spin and, only then, realized Baby Elephant Walk was MIA!!! I guess the rest was so good, I never realized it was missing until then. It is a great comp nonetheless.

I totally missed Dennis Drake dropping in on the forum. I trust his CD sound as being "right," and he (as with Steve) rarely disappoints.

23. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

Has Steve ever worked on any Mancini?

the answer is no!
    Steve is not a doctor!

24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I do have "Baby Elephant Walk" on vinyl Mancini comps though

25. I have this LP and love it...any LP with "Smoke Rings" on it can't be bad!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.