Talking Heads DVD-A/Dualdisc releases?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ghostdwg, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghostdwg

ghostdwg Senior Member Thread Starter

Talking Heads DVD-A releases?

Hi everyone-

I'm new to the forum & was hoping someone here might know what the status is on the Rhino Talking Heads DVD-A releases that are supposed to be coming out. The last thing I recall hearing was that they may be combo releases like the R.E.M. packages that came out recently-anyone got info on a possible release date? Thanks.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Welcome!

I haven't followed this closely, but I am highly skeptical of any proposed new releases on DVD-Audio (or SACD, for that matter). WEA is supposed to be releasing the rest of The Doors studio albums on DVD-Audio, but again, I am skeptical. And where's that confounded Running on Empty disc?

Sorry that I can't really answer your question. I hope we get Talking Heads on DVD-Audio.

ringorilla likes this.
  3. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

News was that they were making Remains in Light on DVD-Audio recently, but no word on the status currently (or for anything else DVD-A). However, since they spent the time and money to do it, there is always a chance.

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Well, good news and bad news:

According to: http://www.talking-heads.net/

5. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

No hi-res? :cry: :cry: :cry:

6. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Just theorising here but based on some recent dvd-a releases, that sentence about 5.1 Dolby is probably just there to keep the non-audio hobbyist folks from getting confused. In other words if there are hi-res tracks on the disc, Rhino is intentionally leaving out any mention of them since 99.99% of the public don't know what that means & will only serve to confuse--and possibly scare off--potential buyers.

7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Well, it will scare me off too if I'm left with the impression there's no (genuine) hi-res layer.

And if it's on DualDisc, I don't want it anyway... I'll stick with the very nice-sounding box set, thank you.

I have to think this never-ending waiting game to see which medium will win The Format Wars plays a large part in the holdup of anticipated reissues / remasters... Beatles, anyone?

We have Too Much Stuff.

8. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Remember that genuine hi-res tracks that we know, and love, won't play on many DVD video players. I think that's what's killing DVD-A and may be part of the reason for the Talking Heads DVD-A's going to DualDisc.

Tim

9. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

We have a lot of people that think iPods, Rios, and $20 computer speakers sound great, so at the risk of sounding like a sarcastic audio snob, Dolby Digital--for them--will be a sonic revelation when they put this disc in their dvd-video player or 5.1 HTiB.* And to me anyway, for casual listening Dolby doesn't sound that bad. So unless they want to include lots of video, I don't think it is that much more $$ to include hi-res tracks on the disc.

* and every all-in-one Panasonic HTiB I've seen the past 3 years includes dvd-audio playback capability and so do many JVCs, Pioneers, Samsungs, Yamahas and now some from LG. Based on watching retail audio departments, these systems seem to be what Regular Joe is buying now instead of component audio rigs. And Sony's all-in-one 5.1 HTiBs--and several from Pioneer, Samsung and Yamaha--almost always now include sacd playback.

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

The music on my iPod (either PCM or non-lossy AIFF) sounds better than any lossy format, Dolby Digital most definitely included. And considering how compromised the, ahem, so-called "red book" side of a Dual-Disc is, I'd wager my iPod tracks are audibly superior to what you hear there, as well.

Dual-disc Talking Heads? Sorry, no sale.

11. Talking Heads catalog on DualDisc

Talking Heads catalog on DualDisc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from http://www.talking-heads.net/

Rhino will release the much anticipated remasters of Talking Heads albums on in Dual Disk format in October. Dual Disks contain a regular CD on one side, and a Dolby 5.1 version on the other. The entire Talking Heads back catalogue will be available on Dual Disk at once: "Talking Heads 77", "More Songs About Buildings and Food"", "Fear of Music", "Remain in Light", "Speaking in Tongues", "Little Creatures", "True Stories" and "Naked".

12. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Am I confused or were there plans at one time for Rhino to do reissues with extensive bonus tracks, either added at the end or on a second disc? I thought I'd even seen a track listing for Talking Heads '77 at one point. Does anyone know if this is still happening? I hope these Dual Discs aren't coming out instead of reissues with unreleased cuts.

13. GabeG

GabeG New Member

While this is by no means certain, remember that all warner based dual disks to-date contain hires surround and stereo tracks. Those hoping for dvd-a versions shouldn't be dissappointed.

14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If they do include DVD Audio why don't they do the same as the REM's (like ghostdwg said) - 2 separate discs? :(

I had better Stop Making Sense

15. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

Yeah! I like the Talking Heads, but I am not going to buy these newly reissued albums if they are on a format that may or may not play in my CD or DVD player (ex. Dual Disc). I would rather see them like the REM issues or redbook only.

16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I hate this format. yet another reason to wish I'd just stuck with the vinyl in the first place.

no info on bonus tracks?

17. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Me too... I don't want to launch another DualDisc argument, but it seems unavoidable when they start issuing crucial releases on the format.

The Heads' albums should be short enough to support full hi-res DVD-A... and DD may well be playing fine in 95% of all players... but I can't afford to take the risk of falling in the 5% camp... and with my luck, it would be my player that melts down upon inserting a DD -- you can take that to the bank.

Better $20 for a double-disc pkg than $500 for a new player.

I know... I launched another DualDisc argument...

18. Rich Malloy

Not buying it. Will the remasters be available on real CDs?

19. Rich Malloy

No argument necessary - we all know the inherent defects of this format, so what more needs to be said? Those of us who ain't buying, ain't buyin'!

So, does anyone know if the remasters will be available on real CDs?

20. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

You know what's great about this news?
    All the old cds will become really cheap. And people will dump them soon.

21. the 801

the 801 New Member

An instance of 'insider trading' yielded the following for possible inclusion as bonus tracks:

1. Psycho Killer (take 1)
    2. I Feel It In My Heart (Talking Heads 77 outtake)
    3. Uh Oh Love Comes To Town (alt ver)
    4. The Big Country (alt ver)
    5. I'm Not In Love (alt ver)
    6. Warning Sign (alt ver)
    7. Thank You (alt ver)
    8. Life During Wartime (w/Fripp and long ending)
    9. Dancing For Money (Fear Of Music outtake)
    10. Unison (Remain In Light outtake)
    11. Double Groove (Remain In Light outtake)
    12. These Boots Are Made For Walking (Talking Heads 77 session)
    13. I Walk the Line (Talking Heads 77 session)
    14. Can't You Hear My Heartbeat (Talking Heads 77 session)

We will just have to wait & see...

22. the 801

the 801 New Member

The following were, at one time, under consideration:

1. Psycho Killer (take 1)
    2. I Feel It In My Heart (Talking Heads 77 outtake)
    3. Uh Oh Love Comes To Town (alt ver)
    4. The Big Country (alt ver)
    5. I'm Not In Love (alt ver)
    6. Warning Sign (alt ver)
    7. Thank You (alt ver)
    8. Life During Wartime (w/Fripp and long ending)
    9. Dancing For Money (Fear Of Music outtake)
    10. Unison (Remain In Light outtake)
    11. Double Groove (Remain In Light outtake)
    12. These Boots Are Made For Walking (Talking Heads 77 session)
    13. I Walk the Line (Talking Heads 77 session)
    14. Can't You Hear My Heartbeat (Talking Heads 77 session)

It's anybody's guess at this time...

23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

seems odd they'd issue a deluxe expanded 'The Name Of This Band Is' set, and not even bother to include the b-sides or 12" mixes to the rest of the albums.

24. GregY

GregY New Member

While I recognize that's sometimes a good thing, aren't most of the TH CDs kinda lifeless? I owned Remain in Light for a while and it was quite dull, I thought.

25. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

already have - retailers like j and r are dumping the old cd's for $5.99

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.