I don't like the King Crimson Discipline Anniversary Remaster.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

The wrong version of Matte Kudasai was used for track 3. The proper mix is on track 8 and is labeled "Alternative Version." That's the version on all the original releases.

Also, I don't like they way the remaster sounds. The treble is turned down quite a bit and the low end is boomy and thumpy. Hmmph. :realmad: I can't believe they wanted it to sound this way. The vinyl sounds wonderful, even the US pressings. Why would Robert make this newest version sound completely different than the original CD and vinyl issues?

2. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

Did they correct this for the DGM 2005 release?

Also I remember hearing somewhere there was some remixing for Discipline when it first showed up on CD in '91?

3. Jamie Tate

There's a 2005 version? :shake:

I can't keep up with all these re-releases!

I bought my Discipline CD in high school so that was two or three years before 1991. The UK and US vinyl versions I have are the same mixes as that CD. Was there another CD version in '91?

4. Great Deceiver

according to here http://www.connollyco.com/discography/king_crimson/discipline.html, there was a release in '91 on EG Records.

The reason why their whole catalog was reissued this year is because their distribution agreement with Virgin/EMI ended, so now they are just issuing them again. They have said on their site that it is not a new remastering, except in the case of ItCotCK, because they found the master tapes. ItWoP now has the single version of Cat Food and Groon as bonus tracks. I'm guessing if there was a slipup with Matte Kudasai in Discpline, they might just correct it.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  5. Jamie Tate

6. Great Deceiver

no problem. That site has great resources for other artists as well.

Unfortunately I don't know the info for the remixing. Now that I am thinking harder, it might have only been on the "Frame by Frame" boxset

7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

there's no slipup. Fripp wasn't happy with the mix on the original LP (and Polydor CD) of 'Discipline' so, when the 1989 Definitive Edition was prepared, he went with the alternate version. (he also switched mixes for 'Sleepless' on TOAPP) the original was restored as a bonus on the next remastering for those who perefer it (also, the cover was changed on the Anniversary disc as well. Ball wasn't happy with his original of that either). there's no further change on the new DGM edition (except that it's only available in a jewel box).

buy, yeah, that's the way Fripp wants the album to sound (low on the treble). though I don't remember the original Polydor UK LP sounding any different.

C6H12O6 and d3VA like this.
  8. Jamie Tate

So Fripp likes the "alternate version" or the "real" version better? The alternate has been the version I've always heard. Has he changed his mind?

9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I've mentioned it before without reply, and was starting to think I was the only one who felt that way... Beat and TOAPP remasters sound extremely close to -- if not slightly better than -- the pretty good vinyl I had (UK Polydor, Japan WB), but Discipline seems to have gone through a major remix -- or severe EQ -- resulting in the lackluster product described by Jamie... I've never seen this addressed on any Crim fan sites.

However, Fripp has discussed his deliberate switch of Matte, and it seems this was done solely at his discretion... he stated he simply didn't like his own guitar work in the original / alternate, but included it anyway when the remasters were done... I'm easy -- I like both.

And just to double-confirm, the 2005 reissue of Discipline is not a new remaster, but the exact same as the 30th anniversary discs of '01.

Hopefully, that milestone album will get a fresh hi-res treatment at some point.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  10. Jamie Tate

Thanks. Great post. It answers a lot of my questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.