CBS Columbia Square, Hollywood is going to be torn down..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

This is from a front page article in today's Times. Sad as hell, considering all the great radio, TV broadcasts and great music recorded there. The next to the last paragraph, about reel to reel tape, kills me.

--------------

Hollywood, Radio Finally Part Waves
    By Bob Pool
    Times Staff Writer

August 11, 2005

If everything goes as expected, nobody will really notice.

But with the planned flip of a switch at 11:05 p.m. Friday, another piece of Hollywood's golden age will disappear forever.

Microphones at the last radio station in Hollywood will go dead as announcers and newscasters complete their final on-air shift at the historic Columbia Square broadcast center.

The relocation of Los Angeles' first radio station, KNX-AM (1070), to new studios in Wilshire Boulevard's Miracle Mile area will end an 85-year tradition of radio broadcasting in the place that bills itself as the world's center of entertainment.

Over the years, Hollywood has been home to 68 radio stations and nine television stations. In the last few years, five television stations have left.

And when Columbia Square is shut down next year, two more * KCBS-TV Channel 2 and KCAL-TV Channel 9 * will move to new headquarters being built in Studio City. That will leave just two television stations, KTLA-TV Channel 5 and KCET-TV Channel 28, in Tinseltown.

After KCBS and KCAL depart, the Streamline Moderne building at 6121 Sunset Blvd. is expected to be demolished to make way for new development.

"I never thought I'd see the day when there are no radio broadcasts out of Hollywood," said KNX assistant news director Ronnie Bradford, who joined the station in 1968. "This is a company town * movies, television and radio."

The exodus ironically comes as Hollywood is in the midst of a major upswing. After years of decline, crime is down and a host of new trendy bars, restaurants, hotels and theaters has drawn young people back.

But many believe that the loss of radio has less to do with neighborhood revitalization than corporate economics.

The dozens of radio and TV stations, once independently owned, are now part of big corporate chains. These companies, like Infinity and Clear Channel, save money by consolidating engineering and administrative jobs under one roof. The radio and TV buildings in Hollywood are old, making it hard to conform with the latest technology.

Infinity owns seven radio stations, including KROQ-FM (106.7) and KRTH-FM (101), while Clear Channel owns 10, such as KIIS-FM (102.7) and KFI-AM (640).

For some, Friday will mark a dark day in Hollywood * and a reminder of how much the radio business has changed.

"There was a time when big stars were available to come on radio shows. They'd be passing by a studio and would just stop and come inside," said Johnny Grant, who had a 1951-59 afternoon show on Sunset Boulevard's KMPC-AM (710).

"Someone would call back, 'Bing Crosby's out here * what should I do with him?' And I'd say, 'Bring him on back,' and I'd put him on the air."

With its porthole-windowed studio doors and chrome-accented, round-cornered interior walls, Columbia Square was considered America's most spacious and technologically advanced broadcast facility when CBS built it in 1938. Legendary CBS President William S. Paley personally oversaw its design and officiated at its dedication.

It boasted eight large broadcasting studios, including one theater-like room that could seat an audience of 1,050.

"Radio was so important to everybody back then; there was no TV. Columbia Square was the epitome of radio. Everything was modern. It was beautiful," remembered Sherman Oaks resident Art Gilmore, who was working as a KNX announcer the day Columbia Square opened.

During the 1940s and '50s hundreds would line up in the building's U-shaped forecourt to get in to see live productions of radio shows featuring Jack Benny, Art Linkletter, Burns and Allen, Edgar Bergen, Orson Welles, Jackie Gleason, Steve Allen, Eddie Cantor, Rosemary Clooney and Ed Wynn.

Celebrities rubbed elbows with fans at Brittingham's Restaurant, on the east side of the forecourt. Passersby could watch broadcast engineers sending out the CBS West Coast feed from a large, almost theatrical-looking master control room visible through a wide front window. Forty-five-minute tours of the studios were offered daily for 40 cents.

"It was a little awesome just walking into Columbia Square," said Mel Baldwin, who worked as a KNX announcer, overnight "Music 'Til Dawn" disc jockey and program host between 1951 and 1991. He is now retired and living in Port Orange, Fla.

In the 1950s, radio dramas were still being produced in front of live audiences, Baldwin said.

"We had ushers that worked full time to make sure we had crowds for the shows. Studio B seated about 400 people. If it wasn't filled, they'd be out on Vine Street handing out comp tickets."

Former broadcast executive Don Barrett, who in the early 1970s ran KIQQ-FM in Hollywood and now operates the LARadio.com website, credits a childhood visit to Columbia Square with launching his career.

He was about 9 when his Cub Scout pack went there to watch a western-themed radio show being produced. Remembering the hoofbeats from previous broadcasts, Barrett figured he would be going to a ranch where real horses were galloping about.

"But there were actors reading from pages, and sound effects were doing the clomping. Then Gene Autry came out. Right then I fell in love with radio," said Barrett of Santa Clarita. "My love affair with radio started in that building."

During that period, all four radio networks had Hollywood studios within steps of each other around Vine Street, which was known as radio row.

"NBC was at Sunset and Vine. ABC was across the street on Vine. Mutual was also on Vine. CBS' Columbia Square was on Sunset. It was a very busy place," said David Schwartz, who was KIIS-FM's assistant music director when it was in Hollywood.

With the help of friends who are broadcast buffs or former on-air personalities, radio historian Jim Hilliker has tallied the call letters of 68 radio stations * some with transmitters as far away as Mexico * that were based in Hollywood at one time or another. KNX, which was launched in 1920 in the back bedroom of a house on Hollywood's Harold Way and officially licensed by the federal government as a commercial station a year later, is Los Angeles' oldest station.

No L.A. station has stayed in one place as long as the 67 years that KNX has resided at Columbia Square, Hilliker said. Besides changing addresses, many Los Angeles stations have changed call letters too.

KNX will join four other Infinity Broadcasting Corp. stations * KFWB-AM (980), KLSX-FM (97.1), KTWV-FM (94.7) and KRTH-FM * at 5670 Wilshire Blvd. At that high-rise, KNX and longtime news-radio rival KFWB will share the same floor * separated only by a wall that features a sliding-glass window, said KNX news director Ed Pyle.

KFWB moved there June 24 after spending 80 years in Hollywood.

Left behind at its old Yucca Street studios was a large neon sign bearing the KFWB call letters and twin antique microphones. A community group, the Hollywood Project Area Committee, is campaigning to preserve the distinctive sign, which dates from the days when Warner Bros. owned the station and operated it on Hollywood Boulevard.

Community activist John Walsh said the group was also attempting to block the demolition of Columbia Square. Acquired 1½ years ago for $15 million by a partnership called Sungow Corp. and rented back to Infinity's parent company, Viacom, the structure is widely expected to be torn down so the site can be redeveloped.

Alan Shuman, a Sungow partner, said there were "no plans at the moment" for the property, however.

The most ardent supporters of Columbia Square concede that the broadcast center is probably doomed.

Dan Gingold, who worked 18 years there as a television director for what is now KCBS-TV, is trying to piece together a video documentary about the place.

"I don't think any one of us realized it was a wonderful Art Deco landmark that should be preserved in history. At this point, I think preservation is a lost cause," said Gingold of Sherman Oaks.

George Nicholaw, who spent 36 years at KNX before leaving as general manager in 2003, said he mapped out a plan for preserving Columbia Square shortly after Viacom acquired the CBS stations.

Under his proposal, a new building atop an underground parking garage at the rear of Columbia Square would have housed Infinity's seven local radio stations. That would have cleared the way for the 1938 building to be remodeled and used exclusively by KCBS-TV and sister-station KCAL-TV, he said. The two TV stations are scheduled to move to Studio City late next year.

"That would have saved the building. I sent a presentation to New York but never heard back from them. I gave it a go. Columbia Square is a historical monument and part of Hollywood's history. It's a shame that they can't add on and expand it," said Nicholaw, a Hollywood resident.

Current KNX employees said they would miss walking in the footsteps of broadcasting giants.

"As a kid, I'd ride my bike here. My mom said Jack Benny worked here, and James Dean was an usher here. Bob Crane did his show from this very room," production chief Raul Moreno said.

KNX reporter Michael Linder has produced a 55-minute retrospective of Columbia Square's radio history scheduled to run Friday at 10:05 p.m. It will be the last time that old-fashioned reel-to-reel recorders and cart tape machines are used: The new studios are all digital.

Never mind the Hollywood Walk of Fame, he said. "The stars walked up and down this very corridor."

------------------------------------
    Hard to believe they could destroy this place..

Attached Files:

2. Mike V

Mike V New Member

:shake: This is criminal & depressing, but thanks for sharing

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

The Philistines continue to win! How sad....

:ed:

4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

What a landmark!

IMO, this says it all:

"The dozens of radio and TV stations, once independently owned, are now part of big corporate chains. These companies, like Infinity and Clear Channel, save money by consolidating engineering and administrative jobs under one roof."

This has essentially killed dynamic, interesting and local radio as we know it.

About 5 weeks ago, I drove half way accross the country, listening to the radio all the way. With a few notable exceptions, all I heard was the same syndicated crap on both AM and FM regardless of the market I was in. It was depressing to endure, honestly.

Bob :)

5. Evan

Evan Senior Member

This is criminal. Buildings like this are a part of our past and culture. They belong to all of us really. Very sad. :shake:

6. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

For those of a younger generation, they don't even realize how great radio was. It still exists, if one searches for the pirates or listens to college/university stations (I was going to say "left of the dial", another term slowly fading away). But it's sad. I came up at least at a time when there were still some freedoms left on the airwaves (mid-70's to early 80's), and I know I was someone who looked forward to driving, just to know what kind of music an area was into.

The idea of "local radio", and artists being a regional hit, no longer exists. Either you're with the big boys, or risk complete obscurity.

7. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

What! No mention of 6121 Sunset's also housing Columbia Records' West Coast recording operations at two different points (the 1940's and 1961-72)?

8. Bob Lovely

Found this postcard from 1948...

Attached Files:

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Stories like this both break my heart and enrage me at the same time. This is just sick. Some developers must have no heart at all. No sense of history or pride. It's all about greed IMHO.

That's just great. I'll never get to see this building or that old block the way things were. By the time I can make a trip to Hollywood, it'll be long gone. :realmad: :thumbsdn:

:sigh: :cry:

dan c

10. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Can't Johnny Grant, Hollywood Walk of Fame committee, or the Hollywood Architectural Preservation campaign to declared this building a Hollywood landmark? I known the real estate is quite expensive out there, but once it's gone, it's gone. :mad:

11. Bob Lovely

Steve,

These must be those Reel machines they were referring to...

Attached Files:

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Not only can a very strong preservation argument be made about it's history, but also about the architectural design. A lovely Moderne-style building in such fine repair are becoming incredibly rare. There are so few examples left in the US.

This will be a very sad loss, both historically and architecturally. It's SICK! :realmad:

dan c

13. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

That's an awful lot of history to just demolish. I'd imagine anyone who knows the entire history of the facility would have a difficult time watching it go down.

Oh well, time marches on. :sigh:

14. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

Thanks for the posting of that LA Times article, Steve. Extremely interesting and profoundly sad. While we all recognize that change is inevitable, sometimes it seems as though certain people wish to eradicate history as fast as possible. This is also a side effect of businesses "clumping up".
    "Ya say it's a key part of West Coast Radio History? Who cares! Send in the 'dozers!"

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi Steve and all interested,

Very criminal to see this become a thing of the past. Those corporate robber barons don't have any respect for history that was made there on a daily basis. This site should be made a historic site as one of the nerve centers for the USA's network radio and TV. Makes me enraged that they would even consider this. As a broadcast professional, I feel raped!

16. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

I don't know from personal experience a damn thing about the L. A. area's radio/TV history and precious little about its architecture, but I know a handsome and apparently well-kept building when I see one. Unless this building is structurally unsound or for some reason not worth the cost of possible upgrades in the heating/air conditioning/electrical/piping, it's a damn shame to see it demolished in the interests of building another ugly-a$$ modern structure.

AMEN, Evan!

BTW, the photo in Steve's initial post blows me away!

17. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Is this the building?

[​IMG]

18. Bob Lovely

That's it!

Bob :)

19. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

So no one is sentimental about carts?

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Steve, you and I could go down there and stand in the way of the wrecking ball and refuse to leave until they reconsider?

No really. I think the reason that this is happening is that the homeless, drug dealers and addicts, hustlers, hookers, and all that type of glamor have made Hollywood a place where no stars want to stop, get out of the car and walk in for a quick interview and plug the new movie or record.

It has also made radio and TV production want to move on and out.

"that's showbiz" folks!

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, I saved some Beatles 4 Tracks, and that is enough for me forever.

22. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

This is truly shocking news to me.

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Remember our many adventures in there, J. O.? Beautiful building.

Remember when we saw them loading up The Wizard Of Oz 35mm Technicolor film for broadcast?

Anyone ever hear the VJ day broadcast from "The roof of Columbia Square"?

I sure wish I could buy that building.

24. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

It's a shame some committee couldn't get it landmark status. Unfortunately, it's too late for that, now! :shake:

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I agree its sad. I wonder what kind of money could save this building? I like to think that where there is will, there is a way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.