Fairport's L&L - Original CD vs. "Remaster"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Carney, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid) Thread Starter

Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief

Original CD: A&M CD 4257 (US Pressing)

Remastered CD: Island/Universal IMCD 291 / 586 929-2

Didn't find any definitive comparison between these two when I checked the archive a few months back. Here's the scoop:

The original CD sounds very, very nice. Warm and punchy, with plenty of breath.

The remaster is no-noised beyond reason. Stripped of most its air. Suffocated in a mess of no-noise. The remastering was done by Gary Moore with Joe Boyd and Ashley Hutchings present. It has two bonus tracks mixed by Paschal Byrne at Universal -- whom I generally like -- that sound a bit better, but then I've nothing to compare them to. In addition, I suspect they were also "remastered" by Gary Moore in the end as part of the final package, but this is not fully clear from the liners.

In the end, there is no comparison whatsoever. The original CD sounds much, much better. The only reason to own the remaster would be for the bonus tracks. The "remaster" is not too hot or anything, it's just fairly drowned in no-noise.

There you have it.

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I always found the original A&M L&L CD a little too bright compared to the vinyl, particularly "Come All Ye", but I guess that's as good as it gets. Thanks for the review - I'll pass on the remaster.

3. Jeff Carney

Yeah, the original might be a tad bright, but right from the opening bars on the remaster, you can tell it's muffled in comparison.

4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I actually like the remaster quite a bit. It's too bad that I got rid of my older CD in its place so I could do a proper comparison. I guess after listening to so many loud remasters, L & L sounded refreshing and I didn't really notice the NoNoise so much. I'd also add that the new booklet is really nice too.

Any thoughts on the other Fairport remasters? I've also noticed that Sandy Denny's back catalog has been remastered as well.

5. jpbarn

jpbarn Forum Resident

I listened to Liege & Lief & Full House remasters last night; I think they sound pretty good. I've never heard any other cds of this material, but both sounded pretty close to UK original vinyl. Equivalent tracks on US A&M Fairport Chronicles comp LP sounded quite poor; no bass to speak of (some of these tracks should sound boomy) & overall dull.

John

6. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Doesn't that album sound treble-shy to begin with?

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I have only ever had the English Island LP of Liege & Lief, so I don't know how even the "old" CD sounds.......

Evan

8. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I have Unhalfbricking, and don't notice any problems - seems clear and dynamic, and pretty much balanced like the LP. I'm still going to buy more of this series - the books are really nice. Mine is a UK import, if that makes a difference..

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I like the remasters a lot, too...the booklets and bonus tracks are top-notch. Re L&L, let's face it..."Tam Lin" is never gonna sound like Steve's COURT AND SPARK :D

The Sandy remasters are wonderful! It's especially nice to hear LIKE AN OLD FASHIONED WALTZ and RENDEZVOUS in such great sounding versions...the originals were awful.

Heads up: Fairport's NINE, FAIRPORT LIVE (known as "MOVEABLE FEAST" in USA) and the wonderful RISING FOR THE MOON are due up in remastered form in a couple of weeks. All with bonus tracks. :righton:

10. Jeff Carney

Folks, trust me, the older issue of Liege and Lief utterly *smokes* the remaster. The remaster isn't loud, that's true. In fact, it's about the exact same volume as the original CD.

But from the moment the acoustic guitar comes in "Come All Ye" on the remaster, it is soaked in noise reduction. The original CD has the air we all know and love.

There is no comparison, whatsoever.

And btw, the old CD has all the lyrics and reprints the artwork. It just doesn't have the liner notes and the pics of the group that the remaster does.

11. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

Is Rendezvous really better? Did they get "For Shame of Doing Wrong" to not sound like it's under water like it always has?

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Water's not quite as deep... :mad:

13. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

L&L: side by side

Agree 100%. Original U.K. Island CD kills the remaster. My findings:
    Original UK Island CD: best transfer overall--master tape glitch/artifact in "Matty Groves"
    Recent UK remaster: Obvious NR, same defect in "Matty Groves" (but groovy bonus tracks)
    U.S. A&M CD: Brighter and 'hissier' (but not in a good way), no glitch in "Matty Groves"
    Verdict: Kept both UK versions. Dumped U.S. (but kept the cool longbox for some reason).

14. Jeff Carney

Interesting! So the UK Island is better than the A&M? Wow, I guess I'll be even happier when I hear that! Well, for now, at least I know that the A&M CD just wipes the floow with the Island "remaster."

15. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I think that "under water" sound is inherent in the mix. My Island vinyl sounds that way too. The Hannibal Best of Sandy Denny and the 3-CD box set use another mix which I like much better.

16. MrPeabody

MrPeabody New Member

I don't think it's inherent at all. "For Shame" on the Sandy Anthology sounds like the same mix, but much more natural. Sounds to me like someone screwed up the vinyl mastering at the time. I mean, who would purposely make a mix that sounds that muddy?

17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I suppose they must have used a higher generation tape then. Whatever the case, I prefer the other mix - the one that runs 3:42.

18. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

Does the original Island CD that you mention have the catalog number IMCD 60?

19. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

The remastered Fairport Convetion s/t without Sandy Denny is far superior to the original.
    What is the label and catalog # of that original UK Liege and Lief, BTW?

20. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Don't remember. I'll check on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.