Jethro Tull Studio Works

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion Thread Starter

Jethro Tull is a regular listen for me. my favs in order, warning, I love 'em all!

1. Minstrel In The Gallery 2.Thick As A Brick
    3. A Passion Play 4. Stand Up
    5. The Broadsword & The Beast 6.Benefit
    7. Catfish Rising 8. WarChild
    9. Heavy Horses 10.Songs From The Wood
    11.Stormwatch 12.Christmas Album
    13.Roots To Branches 14.Too Old To Rock'n'Roll: Too Young To Die
    15.A 16.Under Wraps 17.Rock Island
    18.Crest Of A Knave 19.Dot Com
    20.This Was 21.Aqualung

Ian Anderson solo:
    1.Rupi's Dance 2.SLOB
    3.Walk Into Light 4.Divinities

Living In The Past & Nightcap are wonderful comps! :edthumbs:

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

At a certain point they lost me--not sure exactly where--but these are, in order, my favorites:

1. Stand Up
    2. Benefit
    3. Living In The Past
    4. This Was
    5. Aqualung
    6. Songs From The Wood
    7. War Child
    8. Thick As A Brick
    9. Passion Play
    10. Minstrel In The Gallery

:ed:

3. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I love the "classic" line-ups, '68-'78, though "Heavy Horses." After that, the really good stuff thins out. The acoustic material on "Catfish Rising" is great. The live lp from '92 is a standout.
    No doubt, Jethro Tull was/is a unique band. But I wish they'd stuck to their strengths over the years, rather than trying to follow the trends, like with the early 80s synth stuff, etc.

4. tootull

Other related Albums
    Martin Barre - 1.Stage Left is top flight! 2.The Meeting 3. A Trick of Memory
    Fairport Convention - Who Knows Where The Time Goes?
    Maddy Prior - Woman In The Wings Ian Anderson On Gutter Geese Martin Barre solo on Cold Flame + other Tull members involved. Produced by Ian Anderson

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Stand Up & Benefit are like Rubber Soul and Revolver to me. I often play them together.

6. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Just listening to Minstrel this morning and shaking my head in early AM disbelief. Amazing!

7. timw

timw Senior Member

8. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I listened to so much Led Zeppelin that I can't listen to them anymore. Still love 'em, but I'm even thinking of selling my CDs because I just can't see myself playing them anymore.

Almost the same with Rush- got a but burned out, still love 'em, but I'm selling off a bunch of their albums because they're just not gonna get played.

Replaced my Genesis albums with the "platinum" comp.

Even replacing my Beatles albums with the red & blue comps.

No, not much room for full rock albums in my listening anymore.

But here are some albums I'm not parting with any time soon:
    Stand Up
    Benefit
    Aqualung
    Thick As a Brick
    Passion Play
    Warchild
    Minstrel in the Gallery
    Songs From the Wood
    Heavy Horses
    Stormwatch

Maybe someday they'll release a really awesome, extensive compilation that covers a bulk of this material. But until that day, these are staying. Especially Stand Up and Minstrel.

The remastered Minstrel CD is just a gem. The only song on the album proper that I don't absolutely love is Valhalla because the very mention of Valhalla is too D&D prog-ish for me. Every moment of the rest is achingly gorgeous. I used to not like the 0^10=Nothing At All part of One White Duck but now I love it. And Baker St Muse is just my favorite "epic" piece- yes, I now love it more than 2112 or Close to the Edge or Supper's Ready.

9. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

My top ten, in order:

A Passion Play (including The Chateau D'Isaster Tapes)
    Thick As A Brick
    Benefit
    Minstrel in the Gallery
    Stormwatch
    Heavy Horses
    A
    Aqualung
    Warchild
    Songs From the Wood

10. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

I've been collecting Tull music for quite some time now. A 100+ cd's and 50+ lp's. Lots of rare stuff, bootlegs, DCC's, MFSL's, EP's, Picture discs, and the list goes on. I have all of Ian's and Martin's solo stuff as well.

You could say that I'm a huge Tull fan.

Favorites:

My absolute favorite on any given day could be Benefit or Minstrel. I like them both equally but for different reasons as they are very different stylistically. Hard to place the rest in any kind of order. TAAB is high on the list as is Heavy Horses and Songs From The Wood. And I really like Crest Of A Knave too. Budapest is a killer song.

11. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

12. tootull

One fav. track from every Tull
    A Song For Jeffery
    Look Into The Sun
    To Cry You A Song
    Wind Up
    -
    -
    SeaLion
    Baker St. Muse
    Crazed Institution
    Pibroch (Cap In Hand)
    No Lullaby
    Something's On the Move
    And Further On
    Clasp
    Heat
    Farm On The Freeway
    Ears Of Tin
    Doctor To My Disease
    Beside Myself
    El Nino

Ian Anderson solo
    Looking For Eden
    In The Grip Of Stronger Stuff
    A Better Moon
    Lost In Crowds :edthumbs:

13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Thick as a Brick
    Benefit
    Stand Up
    Aqualung
    Minstrel in the Gallery
    Songs from the Woods
    Rock Island
    War Child
    Broadsword and the Beast
    Catfish rising
    Passion Play
    Heavy Horses

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Songs: In no particular order..

Broadsword
    Nothing to Say
    To cry You a Song
    Sossity
    Baker Street Muse
    One White Duck
    The Whalers Dues
    Big Riff and the Mando
    Mother Goose
    Slipstream
    Wondring Aloud
    Nothing is Easy
    A New Day Yesterday
    Look Into the Sun
    Skating Away
    Christmas Song
    Thick as a Brick

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

16. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

:agree: :agree: :righton:

17. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

I would list all my Tull favorites in order here, but if you asked me next week the list would be completely different.

My favorite Tull song of all time is Part of the Machine, followed closely by Budapest.

My favorite album of late is IA's Secret Language of Birds, especially Montserrat.

I have tickets to see Tull at two New England venues in October, I also have extra tickets to one venue. Anyone else seeing them on this upcoming tour?

18. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

i just bought my first tull album today. i got the new MOJO CLASSIC prog rock magazine (it is awesome!) and the tull story in it is about the passion play album, so i thought i'd get it (U.S. green chrysalis pressing, a bit muddy but solid NM). excellent stuff! i think i'll work my way backwards from here. that DCC tull comp. looks mighty good, though!

-eddie

19. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I concur. You can hear the !spark! of creativity on those two albums; as if they found a direction and the muse at the same time. They did go on to create their biggest sellers after those two, but the initial creative rush is on those two.

I liken those albums to Pink Floyds Meddle - that's where Floyd found the spark, muse and direction of where to take the band without Syd.

20. heavyd

heavyd Forum Resident

Cross-Eyed Mary was playing on my radio alarm clock when I awoke this a.m. What a great song to wake up to :) It sounded GREAT, even on a chinsy little clock radio. That's my favorite Tull song so far, and I haven't even bought/heard Minstrel, Stand Up, or Benefit yet.

21. RicP

RicP All Digital. All The Time.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=57702 :edthumbs:

I've been listening to Minstrel more so lately but I think my fav Tull disc to toss in is the DCC Original Masters. :love:

I get a little of everything that way and it sounds sooo nice. :thumbsup:

22. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

How does their catalog sound on vinyl? I plan on getting into that "format" soon and would love to get Stand Up and Minstrel and maybe Passion Play, and I guess Brick for the art work.

23. tootull

From Thick As A Brick on the Canuck vinyl has good sound. HH bass on Canuck vinyl is a winner! :wave:

24. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

yesterday, as i wrote last night, i got passion play, my first tull album. today i found early (first?) NM pressings of songs from the wood and heavy horses. i'm happy with the sound considering it's late 70's u.s. wax. songs from the wood sounds better than passion play which was a bit muddy. my copy of of songs from the wood has some sibilance, but it's not distracting. took 'em both for $4. i always hated tull, too, but now that i'm a little older (aged 32), it makes more sense--there's good music within!

-eddie

25. Aman

Aman Forum Resident

Tull has got to be my favorite band from the classic rock era. Even more-so than The Beatles, who are a close second. They just spanned every genre imagineable, and sounded brilliant doing it!

That said, I was surprised with some of the recording qualities of the Jethro Tull works on vinyl.

Thick as a Brick is very good, and the MoFi edition even better (is there a DCC of this?).

Aqualung is kind of muddy on the lows (seems all kind of fused together down there :)) but the midrange is very enjoyable.

A Passion Play is pretty nice all around, but sounds kind of rushed and pretty "smushed together", if you will, with instrumental placement.

Songs from the Wood, however, has some of the best imagining, however, that I've ever heard from a record from the 70's. I can only imagine what a DCC re-master could do to it! The vocals are very life-like.

Stormwatch contains some brilliant percussion - the timbre and bass impact is to die for! Highs are bright, and it makes the acoustic guitars sound fake at times, but it also seems to make Anderson's voice particularly strong.

Note: Every LP I mentioned is from an original seventies release date unless otherwise specified.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.