Fix warped records...disc flatteners...anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Got a seriously warped record in the mail today and this one is valuable and I'm sick over it. Does anyone actually own one of these things?

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=AAIRTIGHTDT01

Clearaudio makes a similar unit, but I'm not sure if it's available in the US.

I'm thinking of trying the sunlight method, but I'm really afraid to ruin this lp for good.

2. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Absolutely don't try the sunlight method!

I'm interested in these devices, too, but I would make extra-double sure about them before I spent that kind of money. I would demand a test of my own--bring in a worthless lp seriously warped, straighten it out with one of these machines, then play it. I have heard that the process sometimes results in groove distortion...

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

A little pricey to say the least.

4. Danny

Danny Senior Member

I think I remember someone saying that there was a possibility of groove damage with this machine. Can't find the thread but it's in here somewhere.

5. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

I don't know if i'd trust it with my music

6. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

But if the record is already warped what do you have to lose.

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Clue: The same thing that warped the record is the same thing that MIGHT reshape it.

The trick here is, you have to be very careful. I've had a record stuffed in my mailbox in a "U" shape. I fixed it by applying careful pressure. I had a Frank Sinatra MONO Reprise that I didn't feel like buying again, but it had a heat warp. I warmed it with a heat stove at a distance and with some careful manipulation, I got most of the warp out. No damage.

BUT if the record is "scortched" and the surface of the vinyl looks skin-like, do not play. If the warp is small but strong, thow the sucker away.

Don't waste your life on a lost cause. Use your better judgement.

8. cunningham

cunningham Forum Resident

I have had luck with the oven and glass panel method.

Sandwich the warped record between two 3/8" or 1/2" pieces of very clean 12" x 12" glass. I think 1/4" glass is too light.

Place in an oven and set the temp on 140 degrees, and not much higher. Some ovens do not go that low. let the oven get to the 140 and let the vinyl and glass warm up and flatten. it may take an hour or two. I like to then turn off the oven and walk away until tomorrow.

Some vinyl will trash, especially low quality vinyl like one often finds in bootleg pressings.

Try it with a worthless lp first and be very patient.

9. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

A friend with many, many records has one. They work, very well on limited warps. Not where the vinyl has softened and 'shrunk'. Best on records that are just dished.

Oh, and it's a very careful heat cycle. Each record takes 4 hours. The unit is very well made, too.

10. Justin_Time

Justin_Time New Member

dgsinner, could you tell us why you don't recommend the sunlight method? Thanks.

11. Justin_Time

Justin_Time New Member

Sckott is correct: if you have one of those small but sharply curved warps, the record is probably beyond help.

The combination of my record clamp (using pressure on the spindle, not weight) and SOTA vacuum hold-down usually takes care of gentle warps.

I have never used the device that you showed in your link. It looks like it is very well made but I do not have enough valuable warped records that justify spending $2000 to save them.

I not sure what the sunlight method is. Maybe it's the same method that I often used to remove large warps. I was able to bake warped LPs clamped between tempered-glass panels in the hot afternoon sun and let it cool off overnight with reasonable success. I actually used this method a lot with my Laser Discs (may they rest in peace), which are in many ways more delicate than LPs.

On a very hot Texas summer afternoon, the glass can get as hot as 130 to 140 degrees F. (measured with thermocouple tapes). I have never damaged an LP with this method. The trick is not to apply high pressures on the LP surface by clamping too tight, to get the temperature high enough (above 120 deg. F.) but not too high (below 150 deg. F.), and to let everything cool off completely (several hours or overnight) before disassembly.

I have a nice convection oven but I've never used it for this purpose because I am still a little uncomfortable with the temperature fluctuations which can soften the Vinyl too much.

12. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Seems to me you could replace a few warped records entirely for less than 2 big bills, unless you're one of those collectors who drops 11K on a rare Stones lp from eBay, as we've seen lately. Too bad things like this gizmo and the laser turntable are so amazingly expensive!

P.S. see:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=36175

13. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

I found the thread you were talking about. Someone was claiming increased surface noise with this device.

14. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

I can understand
    if a little bit of surface melts
    and, even if well cleaned, sticks to the surface
    will get baked in a bit

15. Is that Haiku? ;)

I once had a warped Led Zep IV that I baked in the oven, but when it came out the grooves were warped sideways so it still wouldn't play. When the record breaks, I'll have no thing to play.

16. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

For $2000 I will become a personal shopper for your next half dozen lp's, provided they're warped beyond playing.

17. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

Advisory Haiku

it can be!

If the surface melts
    While, by chance, dirt rests on it
    Your LP is dead

but no
    this is just how I space my posts

18. Good one! :laugh:

19. kaneman

kaneman New Member

I read something on it a while back that said it did damage... added surface noise and in one case caused distortion. Not sure if the gent was using it properly etc. As for the laser turntable... it ain't all it's cracked up to be. It's very good for specific tasks but for day in day out listening? Absolutely not. Also if you're going to get one, you best budget for a Loricraft or Monks... even VPI and Nitty Gritty can't get it clean. Haven't tried the Matrix but it seems largely similar to the VPI concept.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.