Who released the first commercial CD??????.......

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by robby, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robby

robby Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was talking with my friends, and they were asking about which one was the first ever widely available commercial cd. Was it Thriller, or Bruce Springsteen ?? Anyone knows about this, and the date it was released????

2. MrMudPuppy

MrMudPuppy Forum Resident

I found this on the 'net...

C002 What was the first CD ever?

According to the "Tenth Anniversary of The CD" supplement to the 26
    Sep 1992 issue of Billboard Magazine (thanks to Derek Nichols for
    looking this up):

* October 1982: Billy Joel - 52nd St.
    (First commercial CD released in Japan.)

* June 1983: 12 CBS titles, 15 Telarc titles, 30 Denon titles (First
    US CD releases. All CDs sold in the US previously had been import
    titles pressed for overseas labels. These were still
    manufactured overseas, but for US labels.)

* August 1983: Polygram releases 100 titles in the US

* September 1984: Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA (First CD
    manufactured in the US.)

I remember reading an article in Stereo Review that Born In The USA was the first CD to be made at the first US plant (located in Terra Haute, Indiana).

Hope this helps!

3. robby

robby Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you very much. Do any of you have one of those originals???How´s the sound???Is the Bruce Springsteen Born in the USA the same cd still in production, or does it have a remaster??

4. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

The first pop CD I remember hearing was by Frida of Abba, in a record store. I guess it was late in 1982? Or was it late in 1983? It was the song "Something's Going On" with those Phil Collins drums. I remember the fadeout happening, waiting for the normal reassuring surface noise of vinyl, and it just wasn't there. I was freaked out!

Edit: says here that the CD was released in 1984, so I guess early 1984 it is! They really weren't too common before then.

http://www.twistinthedark.net/album-sgo.html

5. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

Other thing that you could add to this question is that Phillips on their Holland plant invent the Cd.
    I dunno the year and if be used on other uses before record music.....

6. ezio gallino

ezio gallino New Member

2 DGG in 1983

7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

8. peerke

peerke Senior Member

John Martyn was allegedly the artist with the world's first commercially released CD-single (Angeline, 1986, dedicated to his wife, on the Piece by Piece-album).

9. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

10. Reiki Master

Reiki Master Forum Resident

I have these three CDs:

Billy Joel - 52nd Street (35DP-1)
    Billy Joel - The Stranger (35DP-2)
    Boz Scaggs - The Middle Man (35DP-3)

They are the first CDs that SONY put out on the market.

11. Carmantom

Carmantom Primo Audioholic

I have..

I still have several (maybe 8) of the original Telarcs. I remember there wasn't much available on cds to choose from. It was like classical music or not, these were some of the few titles available n the early 80s. The Telarcs are on the bright side.

I also remember DMP cds being some of the first U.S. titles. Tricycle "Flim and the B.B.s" 1983, also bright. I liked almost everything I heard on DMP label for the time (compositions, performances, and personnel).

As I recall,(vaguely) the story is "Flim and the B.B.s rehearsed very near where "Panasonic" was doing early work on their Digital recorder and used them to practice on. I don't know how much of that is true, but that's how I remember hearing it?

A little research pointed me to this link. According to them it is the 1st DSD recording in U.S.
    http://www.dmprecords.com/technology.htm

Tom

12. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

Pretty cool info for the CD; eseentially it's a 70s technology it seems from the timeline.

On the same note, what was the first title released on SACD? in multichannel on SACD? as a hybrid CD/SACD?

13. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

In the late summer/early fall of 1983, my first CD was Michael Jackson's "Thriller." I paid $19.98 at Peaches Record Store in Miami. I followed it with Barbra Streisand's "Guilty", Frida's "Something's Going On", ABBA's "The Visitors" & "Greatest Hits Vol. 2", Agnetha Faltskog - "Wrap Your Arms Around Me", Elton John - "The Superior Sound of Elton John" (new remixes of EJ classics by Gus Dudgeon to "take advantage" of the new format's capabilites). I paid anywhere from $18.99 to $21.99 for these early titles.

It wasn't until January 1984 that I got my first CD player. - the first Philips/Magnavox model. I, too, remember being "freaked out" by hearing silence between tracks and during quiet passages - especially when I used headphones.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Yup, the Billy Joel 52nd Street CD with catalog number 35DP 1 with the first commercial CD.

The first CDs manufactured in the U.S. were a special edition of Born in the U.S.A. and a special disc called The Edison Series Sampler. The Born in the U.S.A disc is unique in that all the text on the disc is red rather than black. As far as I know, the mastering on this disc is the same as on previous Japanese and subsequent U.S. pressings. I also believe that the disc with red text was released without inserts. The Edison disc is a unique sampler of early musical recordings and speeches. It was released with inserts. Both of these discs were made to commemorate the opening of Sony's DADC plant and both are very rare.

15. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I have one of these. Exactly the same mastering as the regular CD. It came with the normal packaging. I also have a mini-LP sleeve for BITUSA that was manufatured in the US before CDs came out here as an example of possible CD packaging. I keep my red disc in it.

16. polod

polod Member

I remember when by brother's friend dubbed a copy of the Thriller CD to metal tape back in early 1984, I compared the dub to the official Thriller cassette release and it just blew it away. I couldn't believe the fidelity, detail, clarity and dynamics. The regular cassette release sounded dull. So finally in July 1984, I bought my first cd player a Philips top loading unit. My first cds were Supertramp Breakfast in America, Eurythmics Sweet Dreams, Tears for Fears The Hurting, Prince Purple Rain, Born in the U.S.A. Joe Jackson Night and Day, and a couple of Technics sampler discs.

17. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

This entry is pretty funny:

1887 Emily (sic) Berliner replaces Edison's wax cylinder phonograph with the audio disc.

18. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

The first CD I remember hearing was Billy Joel's "The Nylon Curtain" in the electronics department of my local Macy's store. I think it was in late 1982/early 1983. Anyone know when that title was released on CD?

19. I worked at the first radio station in Canada to begin playing compact discs on-air. It was my understanding that the first commercially released CD was a Deutche Grammaphone title. I remember getting a package from Polygram on CDs. The package contained a photograph of Herbert Von Karajan holding "supposedly" the first ever CD. It was DG title. Maybe the disc was the first CD produced in West Germany or something.

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I can't believe cd's have been around since 1982/1983! I bought tons of lp's in the '80's, and I don't remember even noticing cd's existence until the late '80's.

21. Reiki Master

Reiki Master Forum Resident

It was released on September 1st, 1982.

22. Carmantom

Carmantom Primo Audioholic

I can assure you I bought and still have some from early 80's

I remember only being able to get them at hi-fi stores Seems all I remember were Telarc classical labels.

Tom

23. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I coulda sworn Donald Fagen's The Nightfly was one of the first CDs issued. Maybe I'm confusing the fact that it was one of the first rock albums recorded totally digitally.

24. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

It is DEFINITELY 52nd Street. Case closed!

25. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Nightfly wasn't the first but it definetly was one of the early releases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.