Wings Greatest Black Triangle

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Billy Budapest, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy Budapest

Billy Budapest Forum "Member" Thread Starter

Any idea how much Wings Greatest Black Triangle Mfd by Toshiba EMI Ltd in Japan CP35-3114 YEX-983-4(CD) is worth?

Matrix no. is CP35-3114 1A5.

The case is very cool too: white plastic tray, plus the "gripper" sides of the plastic front cover do not have lines like most CD's, instead they are smooth and frosted. Thanks!

2. Evan

Evan Senior Member

On ebay it could go for over a $80.

3. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

Very surprisingly, there have been a number of these listed on ebay over the past 4-5 months after there wasn't any for nearly a year. I bought mine in February (IIRC) and since then there have been another 4-5 listed, with all or nearly all of them going to forum members.

4. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I understand that this CD does not use noise reduction, but I've also heard that the hiss is VERY noticable. Is it too noisy to be enjoyable? I mean, I'm all for extending the high end and making the songs breath and not be compressed and quieted-to-death, but if the hiss is too loud...how can that be a good thing?
    Ron

5. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Hiss is not annoying. Top end is just great.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The hiss is most obvious on "With a Little Luck", but the disc is excellent all around. It's the version to have.

As Mike said, it's been showing up with surprising regularity lately, but I'd be surprised if that continued for too long. It seems that some rare first pressings show up regularly for a short period and then disappear again. Back about two years ago, the Japanese pressing of Queen Greatest Hits on Elektra was coming up nearly every week for about six weeks. Then it disappeared again. I've seen similar cycles with the West German target of Crosby, Stills & Nash Allies.

7. JWB

JWB New Member

Is this disc the same as the US disc that was pressed in Japan, with a black face? I have that puppy and it sounds sweet (all songs stand up sonically to Steve's efforts).

8. Evan

Evan Senior Member

No.

9. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Well, is the blackface still superior to the standard made-in-USA version? The latter is all I have at the moment.

I'd love to have the triangle version, but the going rate is a bit steep for me.

Maybe it'd be cheapest to get an original UK LP and do a needle-drop, if it's any good that is ...

10. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

I agree regarding the hiss issue - absolutely not a problem. This is one of my favorite cd's.

11. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Of course hiss can be annoying. Having a nice top end does not mean hiss needs to be prevalent. Steve's DCC versions of Jet, Band On The Run, Silly Love Songs, Hi Hi Hi, Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey and Let Em In are not hissy at all and the top end is gorgeous. I think too many people assume hiss indicates the top end is left intact...this is just not true. The hiss can also be studio noise, air conditioning and other anomolies that have nothing to do with the music itself. No, not always of course, but often enough. I'm no fan of NR either...but well-recorded and stored masters do not need to be laden with hiss. McCartney always records meticulously, his masters sure don't have the levels of hiss that apparently are on this disc. Ron

12. Evan

Evan Senior Member

To the best of my knowledge, yes it is better. I have a CDR of the Black Triangle and I find tat I prefer the blackface version.

13. KeithH

I've compared the black-triangle, black-face, and standard U.S. pressings. The black-triangle disc is best, followed by the black-face disc, and the U.S. pressing is far worse than the other two. My opinion, of course.

14. KeithH

What is it about the black-face disc that you prefer to the black-triangle disc?

15. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Thanks. So, even if all I ever find is a blackface version, it seems I'll still have something better than my U.S. pressing. Good to know.

16. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Well, it has a treble boost that I do not like. Of course, I am listening to a CD-R so that could be the problem. The blackface sounds a bit more compressed or flat, but sounds more natural to me. Of course, it is just MHO.

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The black triangle Wings Greatest RULES. It is the BEST sounding McCartney CD out there(except for Steve's, naturally!). Any McCartney fan NEEDS to have it. The sound is THAT good! It is very hissy but I personally do not mind it at all.

Evan

18. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

OK let me rephrase then. Hiss is not annoying on this CD. Hiss doesn't alter the joy I feel when paying attention to the high end on this CD. :)

19. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

:agree: I'm with you Keith! :righton:

20. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

The sound quality can vary on CD-Rs, depending how they were recorded, what media was used, etc. My original Black Triangle sounds fabulous!

21. Billy Budapest

The only hiss that is obvious is at the beginning of "With a Little Luck" and in parts of "Mull of Kintyre."

"Live and Let Die" and "My Love" sound especially good.

I have wanted to trade my copy for a black triangle of Abbey Road, but I am really starting to have second thoughts. This disc is a keeper!

22. Billy Budapest

No. It's much better sounding. And, I might add, it is still available. :)

23. JWB

JWB New Member

Where?

24. Billy Budapest

I guess I should have been less cryptic. I have one. I probably won't sell it, but I may trade it. PM me if interested.

25. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The black triangle disc most likely has pre-emphasis, and I would guess that your CDR copy was burned without pre-emphasis. That would explain an unhealthy treble boost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.