Grateful Dead news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member Thread Starter

From the GD Forum postcard....

Dick's Picks 35, and other items
    (Mailing List Information, including unsubscription instructions are
    located at the end of this message)

First, Dennis McNally asked me to spread this announcement far and wide about Dick's Picks 35, then we'll deal with a few more items:

A Note About This Dick's Pick: The Legend of the Houseboat Tapes

Although the Dead's vault is enormous and impressively full, the band certainly doesn't have a tape of every show it played; in fact, they don't even have a copy of every show they recorded. Tapes drifted off in a variety of ways - including Jerry Garcia handing them out… And therein lies the story of Dick's Picks #35.

This spring, our archivist David Lemieux got a call from Donna Jean Godchaux-Mackay. It seems that in the late summer of 1971, just before Keith Godchaux began rehearsals with the Dead, Garcia handed him a big box of tapes and said, “Here, this is our most recent tour. Learn our music.” The irony was that Donna Jean doubts mightily Keith ever bothered to listen to them - he'd never listened to the Dead all that much before he auditioned, first with Garcia and then the rest of the band - he just had an uncanny innate facility for the music. In any case, he left the tapes on his parents' houseboat in Alameda, and there they stayed. For 35 years.

A month ago, his brother Brian and son Zion were cleaning out the houseboat, found the tapes, and gave them to Donna, whose jaw dropped. One call to Lemieux later, and the Dead's long-lost missing tour from the summer of 1971 had resurfaced. Master tapes include April 28 and 29 at the Fillmore East (released as “Ladies and Gentlemen,” taken from the multi-track masters), the 7/31 Yale Bowl (alas, blank), a small piece of the Hollywood Bowl, Berkeley Community Theatre, and others.

Dick's Pick #35 will be four CDs: the complete San Diego (8/7/71) show, all that was salvageable of the 8/24 Chicago show, and an hour-plus from the Hollywood Bowl (8/6). It will be available at dead.net Friday, June 17th.

Not a soundboard-recorded note of that tour's music circulates among Dead Heads, so this is a truly remarkable find. How they survived 35 years in a watery environment simply proves, yet once again - if you needed convincing - that God smiles on the Grateful Dead.

Other coming attractions.

By now you won't be surprised to hear that sometime in the future there will be some sort of 'product' release, it happens all the time. But I was told one interesting item slated for later this year, that is cleared for your consumption!

In mid-October, there will be two items released, dealing with the same material. The Grateful Dead shows at the Fillmore West from 2-27-69 to 3-2-69 are legendary, and much of Live Dead comes from those shows. There will be a 10-CD package, limited to 10,000 copies, and available only from dead.net, that will contain every single note from the entire run. Rhino/WEA will release a 3-CD compilation of selected cuts from this series. The Rhino/WEA package will be available everywhere, including the GDForum store.

So, there you go, now you have something else to look forward to!

Unconfirmed DP 35 tracklist:

Disc 1:
    (8/7/71)
    Big RR Blues
    El Paso
    Mr Charlie
    Sugaree
    Mama Tried
    Bertha
    Big Boss Man
    Promised Land
    Hard to Handle
    Cumberland Blues
    Casey Jones
    Truckin'

Disc 2
    (8/7/71 cont'd)
    China Cat Sunflower->
    I Know You Rider
    Next Time You See Me
    Sugar Magnolia
    Sing Me Back Home
    Me and My Uncle
    Not Fade Away->
    Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad->
    jam->
    Johnny B Goode

(8/24/71)
    Uncle John's Band
    Playing in the Band
    Loser

Disc 3
    (8/24/71 cont'd)
    It Hurts Me Too
    Cumberland Blues
    Empty Pages
    Beat It On Down the Line
    Brown-Eyed Women
    St Stephen->
    Not Fade Away->
    Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad->
    Not Fade Away
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Big Boss Man
    Brokedown Palace

Disc 4
    (8/24/71 cont'd)
    Good Lovin'

(8/6/71)
    The Other One->
    Me and My uncle->
    The Other One
    Deal
    Sugar Magnolia
    Morning Dew
    Lovelight

2. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Awesome, can't wait for these releases. :love:

3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

That stinks about the Yale Bowl concert. Great show, and my wife's first Dead concert! She still needles me that she saw them before I did (12/1/73 Boston), although she doesn't remember what they played (first "Mr. Charlie" and "Sugaree", "Dark Star"...) or that Pigpen was in the band. She DOES remember that a crowd caused a small riot breaking in, which led to the end of concerts there until McCartney in the 90's...

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Great news on the Fillmore West stuff! I'll be one of the 10,000 that's for sure :thumbsup:

Pretty neat how they found those '71 tapes all of these years later. I always thought that 8/6/71 was the Hollywood Palladium, not Hollywood Bowl. At any rate, it's one of the best audience recordings I've ever heard. It will be interesting to hear this SBD segment.

5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Isn't that the show that's only available as an AUD that Phil took "Hard To Handle" from for "Philzone"? Where Garcia got down on his knees for the solo? If I remember, Pig and Weir insulted each other during some intros: Bob "Candy" Weir and Pigpen, the "dog-suckingest man in show business" or something like that!

I'll be in line for one of those limited sets too!

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

I will definately be picking up the complete Fillmore!

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Forum Resident

I can't say that I'm all that interested in the SBD of 8/6/71 (and, yeah, it's the Hollywood Palladium, right?). If they really wanted to release something phenomenal, it'd be the AUD.

(I'm not a huge fan of the '71 tour, as they seemed to have tightened their sets, shortened the tunes, and stretched out in far fewer improvisations. More of a rock-n-roll band of the traditional variety. Which works great when you get that live in-the-club feel, which is exactly what the AUD recording gives you. But a dry SBD with only distant audience sounds? Sorta boring by comparison IMO.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.