I like Classic Records (the Co.)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

They get bashed a lot around here but they have released some great stuff over the years. I don't always agree with their mastering choices but they have probably done the most to keep vinyl alive for over 10 years.

They always manage to come out with really interesting stuff that has got to be a real pain in the butt to license.

Remember, phonograph records are essentially being made the same way as they were in 1920. Better now because of vinyl over shellac. Hot steam first then cold water to cool. Each disc is different due to the nature of the manufacturing process.

Complaints like this are not the fault of the reissue label:

"...another 'classic' complaint, though, comes by way of my recent purchase of a used mint copy of LEE MORGAN's 'candy'. there was no dish warp nor were there any ticks or scratches. it was something that drove me bonkers for three play-throughs of the first song of side A--a high-pitched noise that was barely audible but certainly noticeable and, in my opinion, a pressing defect. i returned it to the store for a full refund. anyone else have this high-pitched problem on any classic title?"

----------------------------------------------

This is not a manufacturing or mastering issue, this is a sound that is typically on a Rudy Van Gelder master tape. Such is life!

It's true that Classic Records and DCC used to compete for titles but so what? That kept our little niche industry strong.

My thoughts at the moment..

Carry on!

2. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

true but, with all due respect, Mr. Hoffman, the important factor is what arrives at my doorstep.
    I was lucky enough to pick up Nursery Crymes used and, after cleaning out the vinyl,
    yes, there's some stunning magic in those grooves :agree:
    what I've sent out for has arrived at the house looking like it was sitting exposed in a
    dusty attic for a week

3. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Steve,

While I'm too recently renewed to the vinyl club to have a history w/Classic, there are a bunch of titles I want to try; your vote of confidence (w/minor and understandable caveats) is good to hear. Also commendable from a friendly competitors perspective!

I'm very excited that you and companies like CLASSIC are around and seem to be doing comparatively well--sorry it took so long to get back to it. (My standard issue 1980 T-Bone Burnett/Truth Decay playing right now sounds fantastic after 25 yrs. Long live black vinyl!)

doug

4. wolff

wolff Member

Interesting. Steve, have you listened to this reissue? Of course, I hear plenty of HF distortion on RVG titles. I have this reissue and over 200 other BN's, but a high pitched noise that is barely audible is something I do not think I've heard. I've read all your posts about what's on the tapes and have heard enough originals to know that HF distortion, when present is not from faulty pressing or mastering. The audible high pitched noise has me confused.

I agree completely with the original post regarding giving Classic some praise, but every thread that starts out praising them ends up discussing their defective 200 gram pressings, and rightly so. I praise and bitch at the same time. They have got to do something about the 200g problems. I pay little, if any attention to the debates over their mastering, which have been going on since day one.

They need to get back to turning out close to flawless vinyl and then the praise will come, unqualified.

5. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I've only had problems with one Classic LP. There was a small scratch across side 2 of Nursery Cryme. Got a replacement and have had no problems since. I think their LPs sound great.

6. wolff

wolff Member

Steve, I also wonder how many Classic Records titles you have purchased in the last 2 years? I've read your posts regarding the difficulties with 200g vinyl, but have never read of you receiving a defective/unsatisfactory pressing.

7. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

:edthumbs:

8. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I really like their issue of The Alan Parson's Project "I Robot"

9. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Is it Classic Records fault for pressing defects or RTI's (the pressing plant)? Most of the records I've received that were pressed at RTI has been stellar but I've had some unlucky ones too (Classic Records and DCC's). I grumble when I get a bad one but I usually just send them back for a replacement.

10. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

hey Mr. Hoffman, did you do a remaster of Who's Next that's available on LP?
    If so, where can I get it and for how much?
    would you autograph it for me?

11. heavyd

heavyd Forum Resident

Sheepster, If you ask about "Who's Next" around here strange things happen. Best to keep quiet on that front. :shh:

12. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I also like their excellent-sounding 200-gram issue of "Turn of a Friendly Card".

13. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Not on LP, only on CD, and that copy is the old MCA version, not any remaster. Even then, it's tricky to find. It's been covered endlessly, so I'd do a search if you need more detailed info. :)

14. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I have never had big problems with Classic records. THe only fault I have with their work is that I don't like their early, pre tube mastering. Even then, some of those sound good. As far as QC, I have had the same exact problems with all other new vinyl purchases. In fact, I have a couple of the Acoustic Sounds disks in a box ready to go back this week (scratches).

I give every record I play a hearty scrub before doing so, so I haven't had the generally noisy vinyl problems people complain about.

I think the Blue Note mono issues are their best work. The squeak on the Lee Morgan record is either a sqeaky foot pedal on the drum kit or the piano. Pay attention to the rythem of it, it goes with the music. I have heard this sort of problem at live shows often.

15. Danny Kaey

Danny Kaey New Member

wanna bet they'll start looking into reissueing all the blue note's on 45 to counter Chad's stuff? and how about a yellow pressing of kind of blue?

16. analogmaniac

analogmaniac Senior Member

Agreed. I'm also tired of all the bashing too. I'm just glad there are still specialty companies like Classic, S&P, Cisco, etc that cater to the vinyl fan. I also remember the old days when people will take a record back to the store because there was a tick and pop on the second song of side two. Why do you think record stores were quick to abandon the LP and embrace CDs? Less returns!!! I hate to see the day when these companies stop making LPs for good because people stop supporting them.

17. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Classic Records is the best thing to happen to vinyl since DCC.

Period.

IMHO of course.

18. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

Surely Speakers Corner must come close, amazing quality pressings, I've never seen or heard a bad one. And those Sergio Mendes records are superb!

tim

19. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Not meaning to cut down the other guys. Sorry if I implied that.

But Classic does not deserve the beating they take in most cases. 200 gram vinyl is a rough road to hoe. Vinyl is a tough business.

Yes, there have been some hiccups. But all in all, they do a great job.

And they are my fave at the moment. I doooo love the Jazz, and they do too.

And I am looking forward to the repressing of "Who's Next".

20. mambo

mambo New Member

I wonder who at Classics "got" to Steve. :D

You might not feel the same way if you knew how someone at Classic Records feels about us!!

I quote from recent email correspondence, when I recommended that they have a look on here to see the number of complaints:

"Actually I'm pretty familiar with the Steve Hoffmann forum. It's hard for me to read it very often because there are more than a few kooks on there." :shake:

I prefer to leave out the name of the author of that email at present, but I do have it on my inbox!

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have some Classic Records titles and they are all amazing! :)

22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I agree... they did some great reissues!!! Particulary the Living Stereo stuff :righton:

23. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

OK bashers, bash away, but I've never (and I repeat, never!) had a quality control problem with any classic records purchased - new or used. And I own about 50 or so.

Without Classic's Living Stereo and Blue Note reissues, folks like me would never get to hear some incredible music. I appreciate their efforts.

24. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

Credit where it's due if anyone knows of a better sounding record that Classics issue of Time Out, I'd love to know. For me it's the ultimate system test/system showing off disc.

Now if only DCC had done it....
    Tim

25. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Having absolutely nothing to do with the quality of their product, but the head of Classic Records Michael Hobson is also head (I think) of TheMusic.Com which did the official bootleg series of the Who's 2002 tour. He was very responsive to queries I sent him about how the series was recorded and mastered. And he also was very supportive of Pete in 2003 so he gets a big :righton: from me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.