Pioneer PL-200X Turntable .. Info. needed ..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken.W, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken.W

Ken.W High Potentate of Lurve Thread Starter

Hi, y'all.

I've just acquired a really good condition PL-200X a couple of days ago and I could do with knowing a little more about it .. is it a :righton: or a :thumbsdn:

It has ( .. for the moment) taken the place of my Project Debut 3 with factory-fitted cart and I must admit .. the Pioneer does produce a more "bigger" sound than the Debut. My LP's do seem to get my foot tapping more when played through the 200X, than when played on the 3

I've scoured the 'net for more info on the 200X and drawn up links to manuals and precious little else :help:

Apart from the obvious: it's a direct drive TT fitted with a AT110E cart ( .. btw, this deck doesn't seem to suffer the "noise" that some DD drives are prone to) .. I know nothing else about this thang.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a few pics .. Click to make 'em bigger:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ken.

2. Ken.W

.. anyone?

3. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Ken,
    On top of what is the turntable sitting in the pictures? I hope you don't actually play records with the TT sitting on top of another component.

4. Ken.W

Hehe .. it's hard to tell from the pics, but it's a Rebound isolation platform.

Two metal plates, with a vacuum inner-tube assembly between the two plates to decouple 'em. You basically pump up the inner tube with the supplied hand pump .. no vibration whatsoever after it's pumped to the max :edthumbs:

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi Ken,

The Pioneer PL 200 X was made 1978-79. It was around $300 new then. Good tonearm and quiet and virtually no rumble. The only weaknesses of them are mainly audio interconnects. The arm bearings are OK if it hasn't been abused. A good, solid middle class turntable from that era. Better than anything out there for the money.

Kent Teffeteller, CPBE!

6. Ken.W

THANKS, Kent!!!

.. I didn't buy a mongrel, it seems :)

Ken.

7. PMC7027

Why does the isolation platform have knobs and switches?

8. Ken.W

It doesn't, David. It sits on top of a Naim 90/140 pre-power combination.

9. PMC7027

That's what I originally asked, if the turntable was sitting on another component. Aren't you worried about heat and air circulation problems? I've always been told not to put anything on top of a power amp.

10. Ken.W

David, you asked:On top of what is the turntable sitting in the pictures? The turntable is sitting on top of a Rebound isolation platform, which decouples it both from the Naim Pre/Power combination and any vibration.

Turntable
    Rebound Isolation Platform
    Naim Pre & Power combination

The Naim's both have supurb heat-sinking cases. The power amp runs completely cold, btw. The isolation platform has 4 rubber feet also which lifts it above the Naims by a good 1/2"

11. PMC7027

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.