Japanese Shopping List

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Patrick Cleasby, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot Thread Starter

Dear all

I have a colleague going out to Japan next week. Any recommendations for top audiophile booty worth getting him to look out for? Thinking particularly western mainstream pop/rock unavailable elsewhere on either DVD-A, SACD or mini LP, but also what are the Miles Davis SACD recommendations?

cheers

PC

2. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

If you are into jazz, the Eighty-Eights label has some interesting things. On a different label the two or three Yo Miles disks are good.

For Miles -> I have found the Nerfititi album to be very nice. For DVDA pick up the Miles Cookin' disk by Victor. It is in 24/192 and sound awesome. To my ears better than any other disc release. Let us know if your friend finds the rest of that series in DVDA.

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The Boz Scaggs DSD's are available over there plus TOTO DSD's though I wasn't very impressed by the sound of the debut with DSD remastering.

4. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot Thread Starter

The Toto issue

Is the DSD remastered Hydra CD from the same mastering as the SACD? Anyone had a listen to both?

5. mambo

mambo New Member

The Mini LP of Miles Davis Kind of Blue is the best digital version I have heard by far either on cd or sacd.

I wonder if your friend can bring me back a bonsai........ :D

6. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Not to thread crap, but is that the DSD mastered CD version that goes for big bucks on e-bay?

7. mambo

mambo New Member

8. mambo

mambo New Member

9. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I heard that the Miles Prestige box Chronicle was remastered in K2 in japan. Not sure if this is true; I have searched everywhere on the net and found no trace of it. This would be on my 'to search for' list.

10. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I have a copy, but it came in a jewel case instead of a Mini LP. Sounds great. Wish I had know that they were valuable. I would have picked up more when I was in Japan. I tell ya, I really miss places like Audio Union. They always had some great used CDs. Patrick, tell your colleague to look there if possible.

11. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

The same mastering can be found on the standard version currently available in Japan. The first edition came in the mini-lp and later was converted to jewel case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.