Classic Records quality control

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark F, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark F

Mark F New Member Thread Starter

Hi Forum,

Always wanted to vent, but never have. I've tried to get on Classic Records Bulletin Board, but for YEARS it hasn't worked. So I went to google and typed in something like “Classic Records Who's Next is noisy” and ended up here. I just received a copy of the 200g reissue of said record and I have played side one so far. I should of known that it would be noisy. Every record I’ve bought from Classic in the last couple of years has had problems. This one sounds great, I assume it was BG mastered, but who knows. I’ve yet to play side two but will in the next day or so. Just a note that most other records I buy are excellent. Speakers Corner, Acoustic Sounds, Cisco Music etc. I know some of them are made at the same plant, but for some reason Classic’s are noisy. Oh well. I been buying fewer and fewer of them as of late. I just about have the complete Classic collection up to 2003. I sent so many back to the label or the mail order firm, that eventually you just get tired of it all. I could go on, but enough said. I’d be surprised if others haven’t had the same problem. Mark F

2. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

3. Mark F

Classics Quality control

Thanks Drifter, It's nice to know I am not alone. Mark F

4. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

I sent an email to Classic about this very album and have received no reply. I was very specific about the problems and locations on the disc. I have sent back three copies that had the exact same problems.

I sent an email to Brian Tipton (forwarding the previous email) at TheMusic.com. If you go to Classic's website it says the title is back ordered. I specifically asked him if this meant it had sold out or if they were re-cutting and repressing the title for quality reasons.

He said he forwarded my email to the owner of Classic records and would let me know when he got an answer.

Sad part is, this is the best sounding vinyl I have ever bought of this LP from a masteirng/EQ standpoint, but ALL vinyl versions I bought of this LP have had noise problems. Almost like bad karma or something.

5. Mark F

Classic's quality control

Unfortunately Classic Records has gone the way companies do when the dollar becomes more important than their product. It seems they've become a little bit arrogant. I say that mainly because they have not improved their quality control in the last two years, but have nevertheless grown (mainly due to reissuing their limited editions). Now there's a gimmick if I ever seen one. What they need is more competition. For instance, I plan to buy Speakers Corner's version of the Parson's LP rather than Classics. Now a few years ago I would of done the reverse. The only thing a business like Classic will understand is the bottom line. As long as people buy their product and their profit line holds, chances are they won't improve the ratio of clean sounding lps versus the noisy one. It is a shame that DCC no longer is here to raise the bar.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There are good and notsogood people at Classic. The problem you point out is part of it - All about the money. Well, when isn't it? The biggest problem I've seen is, they've created a market, and then an almost impossible task on top of gimmicks and expect you to like it.

The "bottom line" is something Classic will have to own up to. Think about what these royalty/licensing deals must be. Right now, they're not doing very good with the amount of returns and reputation on the line. I've talked to people over at Classic, and they have their heart in it, but there's one or two who want to drive these analog wet dreams home without any concern for their customers. Remember the debacle over the KOB blue vinyl? There's the arrogance.

There's a difference between a big fat record with no groove-guard and a very average "thin" one I found at a yard sale blowing the previous one away. Sonics, cutting, vinyl quality, quiet surface. Ain't much to ask now that we're more than 40 years into making records, is it?

7. wolff

wolff Member

Just sent back 2 copies of Ellington: Piano In The Foreground and one Ellington/Armstrong.

Had great luck with the 15 Blue Note mono titles I just bought.

I play them right away while getting a box ready for returns. I do not hestitate to return.

I'm buying more titles from other reissue labels and all the new issues I can find. For jazz, Eighty-Eight's and Venus out of Japan are putting out some nice new titles.

8. Loud Listener

Loud Listener Forum Resident

I got a reply from TheMusic.com today.

Classic IS recutting and repressing Who's next.

9. wolff

wolff Member

Interesting...I'm sure those who bought the first one will be able to return it for the new one. :p

10. Sckott

Great. It'll look pretty sad on them if QC bombs yet again.

Many unhappy returns. :rolleyes:

11. John

John Senior Member

I play them right away while getting a box ready for returns. Absolutely! I thought I was the only one doing this. Send em back.

12. John

John Senior Member

Welcome to the forum Mark, youve come to the right place. My return rate with 200g Classic pressings is about 60%, so you are not alone.

13. Sckott

Silly question? Why work so hard for a $35 record? Have they been "worth it"?

Or are you madly collecting the cleanest of the crop so they'll go for $200 on eBay when only few can buy a decent 200g record?

14. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

the only Classic pressing that's I've been happy with is Peter Gabriel's Us. still trying to figure out if Nursery Crymes sounded that way from the tape or Classic got sloppy

15. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

:confused:

I thought Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot sound excellent.

16. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

That's good news; it's an admission that there was a problem with the initial pressing. There's hope yet.

17. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I have the 180g version of "Nursery Crymes" and think that it sounds incredible. IMO, it sounds as good, if not better, than the original UK Charisma vinyl.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have both versions and IMO the Classic Records version sounds better.

19. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I've mentioned my problems with Classic's 200 gram vinyl many times on this board. I think an important point has been missed on this thread. Classic doesn't press the vinyl, RTI does. Certainly if you have issues with mastering decisions Classic is responsible. But Lps that are noisy, have ticks and pops, skipping, etc. are all the fault of RTI.

I would guess that once Classic approves the test pressing of a title they rarely see the vinyl again. RTI probably packages the records after pressing them, so Classic gets them sealed.

Since I'm a glutton for punishment I just ordered a bunch of Classic titles from Red Trumpet on their "Golden Week" promotion. My fingers are crossed.

20. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I agree. I think if you're familiar with this recording and Foxtrot you have to acknowledge that the Classic version is the best ever.

I think when folks complain about Classic quality they are referring to noisy vinyl, not mastering issues. For the most part, all the Classic re-issues I have are very good. I'm not that picky about vinyl being dead quiet, although its nice. Honestly, I've never had a Classic record that I thought had to go back. I had some Sundazed stuff that went back, but not Classic.

21. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

This problem is well known, I have at least a dozen (or maybe 2 dozen) 200 gram CR's unopened and of course unplayed. If they have a problem I do not know if I can return them since some are many, many months old. :shake:

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes, but didn't a certain mastering engineer who shall remain nameless allude to the fact that RTI just does what they've been contracted to do - even if their advice is ignored? RTI does plenty of consistent good work for other labels, so it seems to me that perhaps the variable does lie elsewhere...

23. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

:agree: We've been here many times before.

24. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I agree with this, but still, RTI is pressing the records. Their work for other labels DOES NOT include 200 gram SVP pressings. If RTI actually does the work for Classic but does not guarantee the quality of the results then you're right, some of the blame should go to Classic.

25. Mark F

Classic's quality control

Thanks people for all the good info. It's good to know that Classic is repressing "Who's Next". I played side two since my last post and unfortunately the noise level is just as bad as side one. If I ignore the noise, the mastering of this record is superb. Once I return this copy, I wonder how I'll know if I'm getting the repressed version as opposed to the stock that's already out there? I bought mine from Acoustic Sounds and they probably have a ton of it. Everybody else I think sold out of the first pressing. I emailed Classic Records, but they prefer I return it to where I purchased it.
    RTI is the manufacturer, but as someone else posted, the problem may be with the 200g versus 180g pressing and the no lip profile (completely flat). I believe Classic is the only label doing this. Also I think that (not sure) Classic (Hobson) is part owner of RTI along with Acoustic Sounds (Kassem), but this may be a rumour. I also feel that quality control in the final analysis rest with the label.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.