Carpenters SACD: Wrong Disc In Case Alert!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Irwinhm, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irwinhm

Irwinhm Forum Resident Thread Starter

I received my Carpenters Singles SACD yesterday from yourmusic.com. Neither the SACD stereo or multi-channel programs aren't being read by my SACD player. Just the CD layer. I have not had this problem with any other SACD's before or since.

I will send it back to yourmusic.com tomorrow for replacement. Has anyone else had this problem with the Carpenters SACD?

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Mine was fine. You musta got a bad one. That sucks.............. :(

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Irwin, that sounds more like the player to me.

4. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

1. Are you sure they sent you the newish hybrid SACD and not the old cd?

2. Are you sure you have your player set to play the SACD layer when a hybrid disc is loaded?

5. Irwinhm

No, I know the player is fine because it reads other SACD discs correctly. I played "Captain Fantastic" just to make sure.

The disc itself says copyright 2004, B0002996-36, but doesn't have the SACD logo imprinted on it like the Claptons and Elton John discs.

I think I just got a bad one.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Then it's not an SACD!

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Thats right.........they sent you the Redbook Cd, is what they did. The Carpenters SACD says it on the back!!!

8. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Do they even carry this SACD on yourmusic.com?

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Yes, just added recently (less than a week ago). And I have one on the way to me. The other three SACDs I ordered came correctly (one Living Stereo, two Eltons), so I'm hoping they get this one correct. Should be here in a day or two.

10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

BMG just added it too.

11. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Supa-sweet!

I've already got it, and like it. Sounds very nice to me...glad I'm not someone who's so familiar with the originals that I can't enjoy the remixes...

Gotta love those Hal Blaine drum fills! :)

12. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

The Carpenters SACD surely has a nice sound.

Irwinhm, did your Carpenters SACD come in a Super Jewel Box (the one with the round corners)? If not, and it not have the DSD logo on the back cover left and the SACD logo no the right, then you surely must have gotten the CD.

13. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

There is no SACD logo on that disk. Mine plays in SACD though. Never tried the redbook.

14. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Mine is the American version and it has the SACD logo on the back. The only thing is that it is quite smaller than the FBI warning. :rolleyes:

15. Irwinhm

The case is definitely the SACD version, though the case doesn't have the rounded corners like the Clapton and Elton releases. Sounds like the disc is the correct version too, just defective. Yourmusic.com has agreed to replace it. Thanks everyone for your help!

16. -=Rudy=-

We have a problem...

I just received my Carpenters SACD from yourmusic.com today. The jewel case is the standard (non-rounded) CD case, but all of the inserts say SACD (front booklet, rear cover), and even the part that shows through the spine says SACD Surround Sound / SACD Stereo / CD Audio just like the recent Elton John SACDs I got. However, there was no sticker on the front of the plastic wrap saying the disc was a CD/SACD hybrid, where the Elton John discs (received over the weekend) did.

The disc, however, is a standard CD. There is no CD logo andno SACD logo on it. Looking at the shiny side, there is a number DIDX-112366 in the silver area. Even the shiny side does not look like the other SACDs I own. The spindle hole is also a giveaway--you can usually see if a disc is dual-layer or not; this is single layer. Put it in my DV45A, and it shows the disc is a CD; my other hybrids show up as SACD.

Basically, folks, this is a screw-up. Copies of the SACD are shipping out with CDs inside the packaging. I'm going to have to contact yourmusic.com and get a replacement for mine as well.

I just wonder where these were manufactured. But the bigger question is, how many of these are shipping out incorrectly? It's not yourmusic.com's fault: the package does say SACD and DSD on it, so they shipped the correct item. But whoever manufactured it is putting the wrong discs in the case. I've already alerted them to send me a new one, and that others may also have the same problem. Hopefully they can stop others from shipping if they're incorrect.

Just a heads-up since others here have probably ordered the same title. And I'll change the thread title.

Damn...now I have to wait again. :D

17. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That's not good...and the first time I've heard of such a blulnder....

And a nuisance and inconvenience....and a headache for yourmusic.com...

You--the main man behind A&M Corner--only now have(well, thought you had...:D) this one? I'm afraid to ask when we can expect your scintillating review of WHIPPED CREAM....but I'll resist the urge....:p

:ed:

18. -=Rudy=-

Well, all I can report on is the first 90 seconds of "Yesterday Once More" in glorious CD stereo...and I must say that right off the bat, the echoey remix bothered me. (There was enough reverb there, IMHO, for a fake-stereo Dave Clark Five LP! :eek: ) I'm hoping the surround version is enough of a novelty to overcome that--I'm interested to hear what Richard's surround mix is like. But I wasn't going to pay full price for music I already own a couple times over...and sho-nuff, yourmusic.com started selling it. Or at least a facsimile thereof. :D

Jury's out on Whipped Cream until I can get out to pick up a copy. It never sounded all that good to begin with (they had to have bounced tracks at least once), so if Ted Jensen did this one and made it sound a little better, I'll probably like it. At least it has two bonus tracks. :thumbsup:

19. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Gotcha, -= N =-...few are the serious collectors who don't have their faves four or five times over(at least), making it hard to get enthusiastic over the latest reissue. Don't believe in full list if I can avoid it...

Did notice that WallyWorld and Borders do carry some TJB...though the latter in my area puts them in the jazz section, which is beyond me, since they used to get put in easy listening back in the day...

I'll be spinning WC tonight, though I suspect, when I get to it, its obvious imperfections will be no less glaring than they were on vinyl. But it is good to have a few bonus tracks this time out, and the packaging and presentation are very appealing, even if there's no way to replace that full-size Lp cover...:angel: :love:

:ed:

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...I'm hoping we're not going to have problems with the dual layer format down the road...

21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

OMG!! I can see yourmusic.com raising my monthly due to $6.99....

22. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

The DIDX number in the matrix code means that the CD was made by Sony/DADC which also manufactured my store bought copy of the SACD. It was probably a goof on Sony's part pressing CDs instead of SACDs for Yourmusic.com.

23. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

A standard case and silver. Must be a mistake for sure. The disc I have has a gold surface.

24. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I believe all hybrid SACD are gold in color, right?

25. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

All of mine are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.