Need Rek-O-Cut info.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Patrick, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member Thread Starter

A local record store owner is buying up an "estate" LP collection along with some vintage hi-fi equipment, and he has approached me about taking a rek-o-cut turntable.
    I am thinking about buying it for my ever growing collection of additional and un-necessary audio hardware.
    Have been able to find ANY real info about these tables on the web, other than some new and current 78 rpm/transcription tables that are using the old name.
    Does anyone have a link, or some advice on what tables like this go for dollar-wise?
    Want to give the deceased audiophiles family fair money, but do not want to over pay either.....

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Patrick....

i've had 2 of 'em in my life.

if you are planning on USING the Rek-o-cut on your prized records, forget it!

The tracking force will be like 3 grams for more, (likely more) and those tables were never audiophile, even in their day!!! Radio stations used them because they were rugged, had good motors, and tracked at heavy forces so the records would not skip.

If you care about the condition of your Lps, dont buy it!!!!

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

They are nice to look at though. I have my girlfriend's father's rek-o-cut from the early 60's or somewhere thereabouts. The wooden base is in great shape. It has an old Shure cartridge that was soldered to the headshell. I thought about hooking it up but the tonearm weighs like 5 lbs :eek:

Ok, maybe not 5 lbs but it is very heavy.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Oh those ancient tables. You could wrap a big chain around them and use one like a wrecking ball to level a garage.... :eek: Heavy as all getup.

5. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Hey Patrick, I agree with Micky5968. I had one of those for free, and to me, they are only good for show and tell.

By the way, I often wonder if the turntable on Donald Fagen's "Nightfly" album cover is a Rek-O-Cut?
    [​IMG]

6. RetroSmith

looks more like a Russco to me......the Tone arm is differnt than a rek.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

That torntable and tonearm look like Early 1950's RCA with Gray Research arm. Very common in radio stations at that time. Rugged in the hands of rough disc jockeys. I think I have one in the warehouse at work. We use Technics SP 10 Mk. II's with SME III arms for vinyl playback with Stanton 681 EEE Mk. III S cartridges.

Kent Teffeteller, CPBE!

8. RetroSmith

Boy doesnt THAT look like a heavy tracking weight!!!!!

9. audio

audio New Member

If you are willing to replace the Rek-O-Kut tonearm with something better and perform some basic tweaks, this could be an excellent table. The only issue I would have with the unit is the stock arm.

10. RetroSmith

I actually replaced the arm on one with i had with a thorens arm. In the end, it wasnt worth the time or the money. I still had to deal with turntable rumble also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.