Lighthouse and Chase on Cd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by strick77, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strick77

strick77 Member Thread Starter

I'd like to get some recommendations for these two bands on cd. The Ides of March thread made me think about these bands. Thanks.

Craig

2. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I've only seen two Lighthouse discs here in Canada: a single-CD
    `best-of' (`SUNNY DAYS AGAIN') and the '72 Carnegie Hall set,
    `LIGHTHOUSE LIVE!'. A compilation of the RCA years is sorely
    needed. By the way...saw the guys last summer and thought
    they were terrific...Prokop, Hoffert and Cole remain.

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Both Lighthouse discs are remixed so they sound different than the versions on the LP's. Sadly it the only material available on CD from this fine band.

4. strick77

strick77 Member Thread Starter

Yeah...I saw 2 versions of the same 'Best of Lighthouse' on Amazon and reviews on both mentioned 'remixed' or 'questionable' sound, so kinda scared of those. Maybe we can see a Rhino Handmade in the future. Thanks for the feedback.

5. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

"Sunny Days" is available as a UK pressing on CD. I've seen it a few times. Yes,the Best Of is remixed ,but the sound is very good. "Sunny Days" sounds great,the remix of "One Fine Morning" takes some getting used to!!!! I've always wondered why they have not put out their LP's on CD in Canada. Anyone know why this is?

JF

6. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

All of Chase's albums have come out on One Way. The first album was issued by itself, the second two in a two-fer. I think the sound on the two-fer was a bit better than on the debut album. But if you want these on a commercially released CD, I don't know if there's any other choice. Pure Music is my favorite of the 3 albums.

I believe these are all long out of print, so used sales would be the way to go. I see one of the Ennea / Pure Music two-fers on sale at eBay now with bidding currently at $25.

- Joe

7. Kym

Kym Former Resident

A question for you Lighthouse fanatics – because I'm not familiar with the original versions, are the remixes of "One Fine Morning" and "Pretty Lady" that much different? If so, can you be more specific?

"Pretty Lady" was a HUGE hit in Hawaii back in 1973! :righton: The remix on Sunny Days Again sounds alright to me.

8. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Bump

9. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I have the Lighthouse vinyl album that has One Fine Morning. It's pretty much purr-fect. I dubbed OFM onto an MD this very week. I never get tired of that song. Poster, if you get desperate PM me. :)

10. eelkiller

My problem with the One Fine Morning on Sunny Days Again is it sounds very muffled to me compared to the original vinyl. It sounds like the highs are cut off. I also have the song on Have A Nice Day Volume 6 and it sounds much nicer IMO on that disc.

Pretty Lady is a great song - glad to hear it got airplay in Hawaii. How about Sunny Days? It sounds like a perfect song to be a hit where you live :D

Somebody please do their entire catalogue on CD!! Probably too much to ask :sigh:

11. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Lived. ;) "Sunny Days" was played a bit in Hawaii, but "One Fine Morning" and "Pretty Lady" were the big hits.

Horn bands were very popular in early 70s Hawaii, like Tower of Power, Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, and Lighthouse. :)

Thanks for the info on "One Fine Morning"!

12. eelkiller

Sorry about that . Did not look at the location in your profile. :hide: I liked Lighthouse as much as the early Chicago albums & BST. Their Live album from Carnagie Hall is excellent.

13. The Kid

The Kid Active Member

I've got a japanese pressing of Chase - Chase. I've owned it for a while, don't know whether it's still avaliable or OOP.

Track Listing:
    1. Open Up Wide
    2. Livin' In Heat
    3. Hello Groceries
    4. Handbags And Gladrags
    5. Get It On
    6. Boys And Girls Together
    7. Invitation To A River

Catalog No.:
    ESCA 7576 on Epic/Sony Records (Japan)

Hope this helps.

Thread Status: