DCC's Fresh Cream - I'm So Glad?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lou, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous Thread Starter

In the latest issue of ICE there's a mention of a 29 cut Cream Gold with one studio and one live disc. It says "the former includes the rarely used stereo master of "Im So Glad" from the Band's Fresh cream debut."

Wasn't this rarely used stereo master used on the DCC Fresh Cream? And on the comp Those Were The Days? Or are there two stereo masters? I'm confused here.

2. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

"I'm So Glad" is in mono on the DCC gold CD and the DCC LP.

I didn't know a stereo master existed. :confused:

3. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

As far as I know, "I'm So Glad" was never mixed in stereo!

4. JWB

JWB New Member

I've only known of mono and fake stereo.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Actually, I've never heard that one in fake stereo...only mono...UNTIL the Eric Clapton comp THE BLUES. I assume this is the version they're using for GOLD, but that's a sync-up, and not mixed all that well, either.

But no, AFAIK there is no 'true stereo' master for "I'm So Glad," just the sync job....

:ed:

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I think I'm so Gald was remixed on one of those "Martin Scorsese Presents the Blues" discs. I remember reading that there was some sync problems with it...

7. Ed Bishop

That's the one I'm referring to....doesn't quite work, though it's a nice try....

8. Joe Koz

What parts of the recording did they use for the sync job?

9. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

Sorry to threadjack for a sec, but is there some sort of brief click at :05-:06 in the left channel of "Spoonful" on the DCC edition of Fresh Cream?

10. Ed Bishop

Steve notes that there is noise on the master tape he didn't attempt to remove. Whatever board noise you're hearing is inherent to the master.

11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Yep it's there. I just got this disc a few weeks ago and noticed this right away. I'm glad someone else noticed it.

12. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

whew! I got worried for a sec with the disc, that it might hae a really really tiny scratch! :D

But then it wouldn't make sense why it only came from one channel

13. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

I just bought it and it is in stereo. Suha Gur remastered it. I hear tape hiss, so I don't believe any NR was used. I'm not familiar with his remastering work. Any info about him. The two CD set sounds good. But my ears always are poor judges. BTW Bill Levenson produced it.

14. Ed Bishop

Well, it's a 'rarely used stereo master' only because it sounds suspiciously like a DCS contrivance, and was first used for Eric's THE BLUES comp. Steve didn't use a stereo master because there wasn't one, it's been mono on FRESH from Day One, though I've no doubt if a remaster is done, they'll slip this 'stereo' mix in, though it will sound a bit out of place, me suspects....

15. Joe Koz

Hey Ed... :wave:

Do you think this stereo mix (on the "Gold" comp.) is the same as this sync job I keep hearing about?

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, it is. "I'm So Glad" was never mixed to stereo, only mono.

17. Joe Koz

Thanks Steve! :thumbsup: That's what I thought...

18. Steve Hoffman

When Luke P. played it for me a few months ago we couldn't believe how "wrong" the guitar solo sounded.

19. musicman9999

musicman9999 VDC Vinyl & CDs

DCC's Fresh Cream - I'm So Glad

Steve -

I don't think you are armed with all the facts on this one.

As I mentioned to Luke last year, believe it or not, the sync on last year's remix of I'm So Glad is actually correct as performed - the solo on the 4-track really does come in later like that.

When the track was reduced to mono, they flew the solo in a little earlier, creating the version we are all familiar with.

For the GOLD remix dome this year, the solo was moved up to match the Fresh Cream mix.

So, in essence, they are both correct, or both incorrect - take your pick!

Regards,

Bill

20. Steve Hoffman

Bill,

Hope you're feeling fine and working on some neat stuff!! :)

21. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks for the info Bill! Any chance a Deluxe Edition of Fresh Cream is in the works?

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

A belated welcome, Bill. :wave: I didn't realize you were a member here. Keep posting, if you can! :)

23. musicman9999

We (Suha & I) received both stages of 4 track multis as Pro-tools files from the UK and aligned all eight tracks; with all tarcks aligned the guitar solo actually sat different then it did on the final mono mix. I don't know how it was done in '66, but the final mono mix presents the solo slightly earlier relative to the other tracks.

"What is the reason they didn't "fly" this new mix's solo in at the correct spot?"

For the GOLD remix,the reason Suha & I decided to go back and match the timing of the guitar solo of the original mono mix was, in essence, in response to Luke's critique of the first remix - he made us rethink our approach. In the end, it made better sense to match the '66 mix, regardless of what was actually on tape.

Bill

24. Steve Hoffman

Great info, thanks!!!

25. musicman9999

Steve -

I'm feeling fine. Thanks for asking!

Coincidentally, I'm travelling to London for the Cream shows next week - Cream at Royal Albert Hall! what a treat this should be!

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.