"needle drop" sacd

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by willywoody, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willywoody

willywoody New Member Thread Starter

i just purchased roxio toast titanium and it comes with software for needle drops. i don't have any vinyl but do have a few single layer sacd that i would love to have in cd or aac format for portability. anyone ever "needle drop" an sacd? any hints?

thanks, will

2. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Just take the outputs of your SACD player into the inputs on your computer soundcard. Record just like you would any other needle drop.

3. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

I've made a few SACD and DVD-A "needledrops" for playback on my car system. It's definitely a worthwhile endevour. I run the output from my player directly into my computer's sound card. I burn with EAC and use Goldwave to slice up the single WAV file into individual tracks, then burn to CD-R with Roxio. Good results.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I recently did a couple of transfers of SACDs to PCM through the analog connections. The result was as bit of a letdown as any other redbook CD in comparison. I decided that there wasn't really a reason to do this, unless the commercial CD counterpart was really bad.

I did one transfer at 44.1/16-bit, and one at 48k/32-bit with my best dithering settings. PCM destroyed any advantage thab DSD had.

I have yet to try burning a DVD-A from vilyl needle drops.

5. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Whenever I transfer SACD (or DVD-Audio for that matter) to PCM through the analog connection I never do so below 88.2/24. To me somethng lower makes no sense (unless the original were clearly marked as being 48/24).

BTW, has someone here tried doing these transfers in 5.1?

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The one hi-rez DVD I transfered to CD-R (Grover Washington Jr,'s "Winelight") did turn out very good. Maybe it was because the DVD is PCM also?

Too bad the disc is a remix...

7. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb

For the most part, I don't "needle drop" sacd's actually.
    I have about 12-15 sacd's and if I want to hear them I'll listen just through my 2000ES into the 0404 in's.
    I don't like transfering the DSD stuff to pcm. Too much space is taken up at 24/88.
    I just keep it in the DSD domain as much as I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.