Jon Astley on Mastering "Tommy " for HiRez

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Metoo, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

2. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

Great article. Very interesting. I wonder if this means that Quadrophenia is in the pipeline for a SACD or DVD-A release?

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Tommy sounds wonderful. Nice to see Astley get it right for a change!

4. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Has anybody compared the redbook stereo version on the deluxe edition to the MFSL CD?

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

I have compared the MFSL Ultradisc to the redbook layer of the DE. I like the MFSL better on redbook slightly. The SACD Stereo i think is very close. There is a different take of "Eyesight To The Blind" on the Ultradisc. Hope this clears this up.

Kent Teffeteller

6. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I hope it does.

7. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

I wish I'd thought of substituting the alternate 'Eyesight To The Blind' for the uh.. non-alternate one when I made my backup of the MFSL. I know I can re-do it any day, but I'm just too lazy :rolleyes: (AND I'd need to find a place to source the 'right' take of Eyesight from).

No matter how much I listen to the album, I just can't warm up to the alt. take on the MFSL. The rest of the disc, though, sounds great to my ears (although I don't have much else to compare it to than a borrowed US MCA LP).

8. cunningham

cunningham Forum Resident

Any comparison to the Uk Track LP?

9. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

That's a *very* interesting article. It's amazing what needed to be done to try to stay in the DSD environment. Am I reading his answer to the second-to-last question correctly? Is the high-end of the SACD version of Tommy rolled off at 75kHz? It's also interesting how he heard changes in the mids from the high-end rolloff.

10. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Anyone compared the single-disc MCA remaster (Labson?) to the DVD-A or SACD stereo (for apples to apples)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.