Doors News: Bruce B. is remixing catalog in surround!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lord Hawthorne, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled Thread Starter

On the Doors official web page, there is an announcement that Bruce Botnik has just finished remixing all Doors albums into 5.1 surround for DVD-Audio release. A box set is planned. Each disc will also contain extra tracks. They also plan to streamline the Doors catalog and delete all "superfluous" releases.
    http://messageboard.thedoors.com/index.php?showtopic=22375

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

WOW!...there goes more milk money.

3. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

As much as I have ignored the "new" Doors TNG or what ever thay are called, I have been thinking about what a new studio album would sound like. Any word on them recording?

Ps yes this is good news....someday I will complete my Doors collection..."sigh"

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

The way I read it is that they are being released as a box set FIRST. And later as individual releases. Do I need to buy another Doors box set of the compete albums? Probably...... :sigh:

5. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Excellent news. I thought the LA Woman dvd-a was excellent, so I am really looking forward to the rest of the albums. Bring on the Soft Parade!

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

It will be interesting to see how these actually come out.

DVD-A

DualDisc

Dolby Digital only

I am hoping they will be "pure" DVD-A's............................... :agree:

7. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Unfortunately, according to the article, getting rid of superfluous releases means paring down to only one live album.

8. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Here's hoping they do better this time with the replicas of the original album covers. The ones on the "Complete Studio Recordings" came out all warped.

9. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Actually, I think that means nothing will really change. All the live recordings are on the Bright Midnight America offshoot label with the exception of Absolutely Live and the various other material that has appeared on compilations such as An American Prayer and Alive She Cried. Currently, all this commercially released (i.e brick and mortar stores) material is culled together on the two disc In Concert, but Absolutely Live is also available by itself. My guess is that they will delete Absolutely Live, but the material will be still available on In Concert. Nothing is changing with regards to BMA.

10. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Jeff Jampol also says they are paring down the 'Best Of' compilations to one single disc and one double disc compilation. I hope they keep "Legacy: The Absolute Best of The Doors" in-print because they finally have a well-thought out and comprehensive two-disc set after years of incomplete collections. My only minor quibble is they left-off Running Blue, but the studio version of The Celebration Of The Lizard more than makes up for it.

11. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

It figures. After months of procrastination, I finally got the Studio box a few weeks ago!

12. heavyd

heavyd Forum Resident

This is wonderful news. The most exciting aspect of this is that maybe DVD-A is not dead after all (assuming these will be true DVD-A and not DD or DualDisc).

13. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

* Thread title :)

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I think we have to remember that even though it is indicated that a DVD-A box-set is "planned", just because the mixes were created doesn't mean we will actually see the stuff released!!

Where is the Jackson Browne "Running on Empty" DVD-A??? It was mixed wasn't it??

On this Doors set on DVD-A, I will be there when it is released, but I won't believe it until I see it. Let's hope.

15. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I'm a DOORS fan, but they'll had way too many remasters. Have all their box sets. I picked-up the LA Woman DVD-A only because it's was 'used' at $8. I'll do the same for the other DVD-A releases.

16. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I can't say definitively, but Jackson Browne himself may be the one who is holding up the release just as Van Morrison is holding up Moondance even though it is done.

The Doors have already agreed to their release and LA Woman is already on the market, so I don't see much of a problem here unless Warners wants to entirely drop the format.

17. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Would this be the first boxed set where every disc is DVD-A?

18. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Most likely.

19. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Sorry - the link to the news is not working for me...

20. Charger

Charger Forum Resident

Great news! I love the LA Woman DVD-A. :thumbsup: I wonder how much $ this box set will cost?

Mike

21. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

The series won't include Other Voices or Full Circle, the oft-forgotten studio albums recorded and released after Jim Morrison's death. I can't say I'm surprised...

22. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Ditto, Jon. I'm sure this announcement is causing quite a stir at the QQ boards. While it's not the Beatles, it is a band near and dear to me. I flashed on the "Waiting For The Sun" album walking down a hall today. Made me think of Summer...ahhhhh! I haven't picked up a DVD-A since the Bjork "Medulla" album so I think I'm up for the box set. I can gift my "LA Woman" disc to someone.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I want this box set!!!! :D

24. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled Thread Starter

Missing in action are two live discs mixed to 5.1 a few years ago. It's not clear which discs they are, but they are supposed to be complete concerts.

25. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I wonder if Steve was involved in this project?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.