Was the Carpenters 68-73 singles comp ever remastered?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I have the normal US issue. Was it ever reissued remastered and/or remixed?
    I know it's OOP now.

2. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

Yes, The Singles 1969-1973 was remastered and reissued with the rest of the Carpenters' catalog several years back. This version was only in print for a short time, essentially being replaced by The Singles 1969-1981.

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

It was available for a couple of years in the Remastered Classics series, which are straight album reissues unaltered from their original LP release. I wish I'd have picked it up, since it is a unique compilation. I think A&M felt that with their more comprehensive compilations that they didn't need to have this older one in print. You'd have to find this one used.

4. bartels76

I have the first US issue. Does the remastered one sound better?

5. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

My version says "Digitally re-mastered by Richard Carpenter, November 1991". Is there an earlier or later version? I am not aware of one.

6. -=Rudy=-

Remastered Classics would have been late 90s. However, I've never owned either one and can't make a judgement call on which one is better.

7. bartels76

FYI-
    This comp is still available cheaply at half.com and amazon.com and still available at BMG. I ordered it as a freebie to see if I get the remastered version. And then maybe I can compare the remastered vs. the original issue.

8. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Yes. Please let us know if you get the remastered version.

L.

9. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

How do you get "freebies" from Amazon.com? I like that concept...

10. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

I have the Remastered Classics version of Singles 1969-1973, but don't have the original CD to compare against.

I will say that the mastering on this comp is generally brighter than on the equivalent songs from the individual albums in the Remastered Classics series. While brightness is normally a turnoff for me, I actually like a bit of a treble boost for most of the early Carpenters material. I find a bit of treble accentuates Karen's voice.

11. bartels76

Freebie from BMG because of the music points I have. Sorry for the confusion.

12. bartels76

It is confirmed, BMG still has the Remastered Classics Singles 1969-1973. I just got mine today. Get it while you can!

13. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Rudy,

Where does that early, 2 CD "purple" series disc set fit in. Remember when the first A&M CDs were basically these purple special sets, one per artist?

:-jon

14. bartels76

It still features remixes:

http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/classics.html

15. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

16. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I received the following message today from yourmusic.com:

Thank you for keeping your Music Queue updated! Unfortunately, The Carpenters: Singles 1969-1973 is no longer available and has been removed from your Music Queue. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions or need additional assistance, feel free to contact Customer Service.

Thank you,

yourmusic.com

Looks like eBay is the way to go for me.

Chris

17. bartels76

Maybe BMG Music and yourmusic have different stock houses. I got mine no problem a week ago.

18. -=Rudy=-

Can't believe I missed this...

The purple Classics Vol. 2 is just a repackaging of the current (at the time) Yesterday Once More compilation...and YOM had remixes.

19. bob2935

bob2935 Active Member

I have what I believe to be the most recent remaster of the Carpenters' Singles 1969-1973 on CD. Here is a breakdown. The original LP and CD feature a unique intro to the album plus some newly recorded segues between Super Star, Rainy Days & Mondays and Goodbye To Love on Side 1 of the LP with all original mixes of the tracks found on Side 2 of the LP. If I remember correctly, Yesterday Once More is the Single mix with Guitar at the end of each chorus instead of piano. It should also be noted that Super Star, Rainy Days & Mondays and Goodbye To Love suffer from an ever-increasing pitch lift so that Goodbye To Love is in B rather than B Flat on the LP and original CD. The remastered CD which I have corrects this pitch problem and would otherwise be perfect if it weren't for the 1985 remix of Yesterday Once More substituted for the original version. My advice, try to get both versions or, if you have a good sound editor, get the original CD and correct the pitch problems yourself.
    Bob.

20. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Richard addressed this topic recently on the official Carpenters site, http://www.richardandkarencarpenter.com in the "Fans Ask" section:

I have the original SINGLES 1969-1973 CD issued in the '80s (it was one of my first CD purchases) as well as the 1998 Remastered Classics version, and the two recordings of "Yesterday Once More" sound like the same version to me - the original single version with added oboe piece toward the end instead of the bare piano part that was on the NOW AND THEN album. There is just a slight speed discrepancy between the two SINGLES 1969-1973 CD recordings of "Yesterday Once More" - barely noticeable pitchwise, but evident if you track both at the same time. This single version is what appeared on the original LP back in 1973.

21. stever

stever Senior Member

So what's the consensus -- the original pressing CD or, "Remastered Classics?"

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

There's a case to be made for each one. My preference is the Remastered Classics version, since the speeds were corrected. But for the total purist, the original CD matches the sped up versions on the LP.

In any case, it's a shame that this truly nice compilation is out of print. The Remastered Classics version may still be around in Japan though, if you're willing to pay import prices. Check HMV.co.jp for availability.

23. stever

stever Senior Member

24. bartels76

Check BMG Music Service (not yourmusic.com)- they have them I swear!

25. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I wonder if this Canadian CD is an older pressing or from the Remastered Classics series?

The copies I currently see in BestBuy in Canada do not have the clear tray - hence you do not see the "remastered classics" spine - thus I strongly suspect they were pressed before the remasters were issued

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.