1951 'Scrooge' Soundtrack?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Dec 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

Do any of the learned folk here know if the soundtrack for the 1951 version of 'Scrooge' with Alistair Sim was ever released on cd? Vinyl?

2. Christopher J

Christopher J Norme Con Ironie

Unfortunately, there is no full release of Richard Addinsell's original score for the movie, but there are a number of CDs that feature re-recordings of cues from the score arranged(I'm pretty sure they're all based on a reconstruction done by Steven Bernstein) into a suite of about 13:00. There's a '99 UK CD on the ASV label Richard Addinsell: Film Music(ASV CD WHL 2115) featuring the Royal Ballet Sinfonia conducted by Kenneth Alwyn. More recent was a '02 UK CD on the Chandos label The Film Music Of Richard Addinsell(Chandos 10046) featuring the BBC Philharmonic conducted by Rumon Gamba. I think both should be available at Amazon, where you can hear a sample of the ASV CD.
    (There was also a '88 Telarc CD and LP(Telarc CD 88801 and Telarc DG-18801)that had a longer version of the suite(David Newman conducting Royal Philharmonic Orchestra) along with suite re-recordings of It's a Wonderful Life(Tiomkin) and Miracle on 34th Street(Cyril Mockridge). This CD is OOP and fetches high prices from collectors who were peeved at Sony's music and dialogue CD of It's a Wonderful Life - it also functions as a nice all-in-one Christmas score CD.)

3. Hawkman

Thanks, Chris. Both are available either through Barnes & Noble (Chandos) or Amazon (ASV). Do you prefer one over the other? I'm leaning toward the Chandos. Do I need to lean the other way? :)

Gene

4. Christopher J

The Chandos CD is a stronger and more representative collection of Addinsell's work, IMO. I couldn't say how well it represents the music as heard in Scrooge, as it's been a long while since I've seen the movie. But given the choices available, you can't go wrong with a performance by the BBC Philharmonic.

5. Hawkman

I thank you, good sir! A copy of the Chandos cd is on the way to me!

I was watching 'Scrooge' for the umpteenth time on DVD and actually 'listened' to the music for a change. It was really wonderful. 'Scrooge' with Alistair Sim, is much like the movie 'Zulu'. You can't just say 'I'll watch for just a few minutes.' Once you start, you are there for the duration. It's great film making where the images and the music work together so well. It's too bad that something like 'Scrooge' only getsshown on tv around Christmas time. It's just a great movie and I'm glad that I have it on DVD to watch in the middle of July if I damn well want to! :)

By the way, if you've never noticed, watch the scene after he wakes up from the visit by the Ghost Of Christmas future. When jumps out of bed and goes to the mirror, you can see one of the crew's head in the mirror in the background. :)

6. Hawkman

Chris, if you are out there and see this, I can't thank you enough for recommending the Chandos cd of "The Film Music Of Richard Addinsell" http://www.chandos.net/details.asp?Listing=SUMMARY&visit=12&CatalogueNumber=CHAN 10046 The 14 minute suite of music for the film 'Scrooge' is worth the price of admission alone.

What SPECTACULAR and moving music this man wrote!! I'm gonna have to look up some of these films and give them a viewing!

On top of it, I ordered it from Barnes & Noble online and here it is in my hands TWO DAYS LATER!!! Ya can't beat it.

Thanks again!! :righton: :)

7. Christopher J

You're very welcome. I was glad to have been of some help. After all this talk, I think I'm going to have to watch Goodbye, Mr. Chips tonight myself. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.