The Harder They Come - Shanty Town (007)....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tetrack, Dec 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident Thread Starter

Query for anyone who has some version of this LP. I don't have the current remaster or Deluxe edition, but the Island/Mango CD from 1990 - RRCD 11.

On this CD, Shanty Town sounds great!, nice clear sound. I compared this to a vinyl copy, an Island Reissue from the mid 80s(Island Life Collection) and it sounds terrible by comparison, really swimming in phase.
    The only other version i have is from the MOJO/Trojan freebie CD '20 Reggae Classics'. This sounds quite poor and also has phase, but it does not seem quite as bad as on the Island vinyl.

All the other tracks on the vinyl 'THTC' seem to sound the same as on the CD, so why would there be a difference?. Would the source not be the same, even if they came from different 'particular' sources.

2. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

The version on the MOJO CD really does sound lousy. Maybe one of the audio experts can explain why. But it sounds great on The Harder They Come (phasing and all) and on Rhino's Dekker collection.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Get the Island/Mango CD from 1990 - RRCD 11. That is the only place mentioned that they mastered the song correctly. All other versions master it in out of phase mono. A stoopid mistake!

4. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Just about every track on the Tougher Than Tough 4 CD box sounds better than it ever did before. 007 sounds great.

Anyone with any interest in reggae/rock-steady/ska must get this set!

5. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I wonder if that MOJO version is a dub from vinyl?. Sure sounds good on the Mango one. :thumbsup:

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

reopened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.