My new Scott 299B! (Apologies to Prix)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vinyl anachronist, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member Thread Starter

I've been trying to find some time to post pictures of the Scott 299B amp Prix sold me a couple of months ago. And here it is, in all its glory!

I've made a few changes to the room since the last time I posted pics...the rear wall is obviously a different color, and I've added some Echo Busters.

Attached Files:

2. vinyl anachronist

Oh, and last time, my 'table was in a state of disrepair, so here it is, in working condition, with the newly retipped Koetsu Rosewood and the newly rewired SME V.

Attached Files:

3. vinyl anachronist

And here's a shot of the Scott in the rack...

Attached Files:

4. vinyl anachronist

And a better pic of the Scott (this one looks like it's in focus...)

Attached Files:

5. vinyl anachronist

And one more shot of the whole thing. Sorry, but my digital camera appears to be on its last legs. It looks okay in the viewfinder and when I pull up the file, but once it appears on the site it's blurry.

Attached Files:

6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Cool, albeit fuzzy, pics. Too soon for a sound review or was that given elsewhere?

P.S. What are you thoughts on your sound with and without that big glass top table between you and the speakers? Typically, that's listed as an audio no-no, just wonder if you've tested that theory out.

7. vinyl anachronist

I need a new camera. This is the one I use for work, and lately my boss has been complaining about the quality of my pics. I just can't seem to get the flash and the focus to work in concert, and I've tried to manipulate things the best I can. Hopefully the boss will give me the go-ahead to get something better. I'd buy one for myself, but I'm just not that into taking photographs, which is surprising because my brother's a professional photographer.

As far as the table is concerned...it has casters on the bottom. I always roll it out of the way for serious listening.

As for the sound, it's wonderful. Right now there may be a compatibility issue with the Koetsu...when I use my phono preamp, the output is overwhelming and distorted. Plugged straight into the Scott, I'm still getting a bit too much tube rush and noise. On CD, however, the sound is really, really special.

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Too bad about the phono problem, hopefully you'll get it resolved soon. I'm liking my VTL IT-85 a great deal. My next hope is to get my turntable singing like it never has sung before. It sounds pretty decent now, but I know it's off somewhere. I'm looking into buying Wally tools, to make sure all the parameters are just so, as no professional vinyl experts, that I'm aware of, are nearby enough to assist me with set-up. I've gotten to where I have it now by myself.

9. vinyl anachronist

Well, this is my first tube amp, so everything's been kinda trial-and-error. Prix gave me lots of directions and tips. I might just install an MM or high-output MC to see what's going on. I'm also playing around with a new Naim NAIT 5i, so I might just leave both in the system and switch back and forth and have fun. Naim has a "super-integrated" coming out next year, so I may give that a listen, too. Best of both worlds.

By the way, the WallyTools are great, and I highly recommend them. I used to use them back when I had my Rega P25. Super easy, great results.

10. vinyl anachronist

I'm going to try a couple more pics and see if this works. If it doesn't, sorry. These look good in the viewfinder, though.

Attached Files:

11. vinyl anachronist

The last one looks like the faceplate is filthy. This one looks better...

Attached Files:

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Nice set up!

It's time for some Forum Listening Tests.

Address, please. ;)

:D

13. vinyl anachronist

14. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

I read all of your columns on Sunday...very nice to see your table!

15. vinyl anachronist

Cool! Thanks!

16. audio

audio New Member

Wow! It looks beautiful!! Too bad you can't snap a photo without the flash. Those flash pix always make faceplates look like hell, but that amp is actually extremely clean....as you know. I had a hard time letting that amp go. I really enjoyed burning it in after the restoration! It sounds incredibly lush.

Regarding your phono problem. Have you tried all the inputs and phono settings? You should have a hi and lo. Have you also determined wether or not this is a ground issue? In any case, it's fairly normal for a vintage tube phono stage to have a little noise....but if it continues to be a problem, call me and we'll find a solution. I want to be sure there isn't a problem with that phono stage, though that seems unlikely.

17. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

Maybe a step-up transformer between the cart and phono preamp? Give it some "free" voltage gain, so the noise floor is lowered. What do you think?

18. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

We'd love to have you.

Bring your snow shovel. And as many friends as possible. Have them bring their snow shovels, too. ;)

Gary

(PS you DO have your own snow shoes, right? :confused: )

:D

19. vinyl anachronist

Over the weekend I'll try a couple more things. I have tried each of the three phono inputs (the middle one sounds best), and I've tried hi and lo. I don't think it's a ground issue because it's not a hum, it's a slight hiss. My outboard phono stage is out of the question...too much gain.

I should try to take some pics during the day with the windows open, too. It is a beauty of an amp.

20. vinyl anachronist

I've already tried a step-up, and there's too much gain. Besides, slapping a SS phono preamp/step-up on a beautiful vintage amp like this almost seems like a crime. I want to try to hear this amp unfettered!

21. audio

audio New Member

I think then what you have is a simple compatability issue, as you suspected. I would suggest your previously mentioned cartridge swap. If the noise seems abnormal or continues to be a problem, you're welcome to send back the amp for my tech to evaluate. If we missed something in the restoration and this is our fault, shipping both ways is on me. I could also send you another pair of preamp tubes to try in the phono stage(free of charge) and see if they're any more quiet than what you have. Let me know....

22. vinyl anachronist

Nope, it's as you suspected...a grounding issue. It's been fixed...glorious sound...see y'all in a few days when I come up for air!

23. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Hey, I own a Scott 299 amplifier too!

Aren't they awesome? Especially for the $30.00 it cost me to acquire it!!!!

24. vinyl anachronist

Jose Jones? Anyone ever call you Crackity? :D

25. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Yep. Please forgive me...(Jose Jones)

~Jose~

(he got friends like Paco Pico Pierde.......)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.