Question regarding Doors remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by npc145, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. npc145

npc145 music junkie Thread Starter

I just recently won the Doors Complete Studio Recordings (cube) on ebay. When I got the package the paper sleeve was missing from the 1st album and the cd sliding around within the cardboard cover arrived scratched. The rest of the box and cds are perfect.

I am hoping not to have to make a trip back to the post office.

If the seller has the missing sleeve, and will offer me a partial refund to cover the cost of the damaged cd, is the individual cd of the Doors 1st album the same as the one in the cube. Is there a particular serial number to look for. Does it have the matching Elektra label?

Thanks for your help.

Neil

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

The current remaster (1999) of The Doors 1st is the same master used in the studio sessions boxed cube. The packaging in that cube is frustrating to say the least. I immediately removed the discs from those tight little sleeves and placed them in jewel boxes to prevent the type of damage that your Doors 1st seems to have suffered. The box itself is great but the design of the individual lp style sleeves makes it almost impossible to use without damaging the discs in some way.

Does it have the matching Elektra label? I can't answer that one.

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I got real frustrated with the mini LP sleeves which were warped from the git-go. And the way they fit in the box was a poor design IMO.

So I got rid of mine.

I like the DCC discs much better anyway.

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I say... the Grundman remasters and Steve's remasters for DCC are on the top!!! The differences are sooooo marginal (IMO)

5. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I know the disc's in the box set are HDCD encoded. Are the individual CD's HDCD encoded as well?

6. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yes they are. Make sure you get the latest individual releases though.

7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I have the box set, I was just asking for Neil! :righton: Still good to know! Thanks Ted.

8. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Is this the latest release?

Edit: Sorry if it´s to big. I don´t know how to change the size! :righton:

Attached Files:

9. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yes that is it. It is HDCD.

10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Any individual Door's disc that says digitally remastered from the original masters at 24bit/96khz is HDCD.

11. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Ok, thanks a lot. I also have LA. Woman. They are quite cheap! Like $9.

12. npc145

npc145 music junkie Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I sent the box back today.

Neil

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Wonder why they left the HDCD logo off the box set?

14. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident

Though I've bought some of the remasters, I also have some on the non-remastered versions and I wonder if I should keep them or replace them as well for remastered versions.

My non-remasters:

Strange Days
    Waiting for the Sun

15. JWB

JWB New Member

My advice is to send it back and get a refund, and just get a copy of the new long box version.

I bought a sealed copy of the Doors cube super cheap and I regret it even at that price. Two of the sleeves were not glued at the seams. Many of the inner sleeves had bent corners. After a few weeks, the artwork surrounding the cube peeled off at all corners and seams.

Worst design/manufacturing ever.

16. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

FWIW the DCC Doors discs don't seem fetch as high a price on Ebay as some DCC's. I'd try to find those and buy the single disc remasters of Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel - better yet try and find the lucky guy that won SH's CDR's of his mastering of Soft Parade. I will do anything for a copy of this disc!!

17. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I thought "Waiting For The Sun" was the best example of the DCC's being superior.

The remaster sounds weak in comparison to these ears.

18. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I own the DCC Doors CD... I just bought a HDCD player. Is there any point in buying the HDCD Doors titles if I have the non-HDCD DCC's???

19. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

No Steve's are mastered better than the HDCDs IMO.

20. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Just bought this individual Soft Parade cd. It doesn't have the HDCD code, but it has the 96KHZ 24 bit digital by Bruce Botnick and Bernie Grundman, 1999. Could it be HDCD anyway, but no code? Could someone report if they bought this individual cd and it didn't have the HDCD logo and you played it, consequently identifying itself as HDCD cd. I hate to open it if it's not the right one.

Attached Files:

21. cnath

cnath Senior Member

That should be the right one...it's the same as mine. None of
    the remasters mention HDCD on the cover, just the 24/96 info...

Cnath

22. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

You ain't gonna know until you open and play the disc. As I said in another thread yesterday - some copies of the 'remastered' Soft Parade had included the earlier 80's mastering by mistake, despite all appearances that you were getting the remaster. Most likely yours is correct, since I doubt this problem was too widespread, although it's been reported here by a few people, myself included. For what it's worth, none of the 1999 remasters that I have say HDCD on the case, yet they all have HDCD encoding, including my just-arrived copy of the 'correct' Soft Parade. Hope this helps.

23. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Mark Perko,
    I would like to try and play this Door's Soft Parade in my Mac. I have Window media player 9 OSX. I have read in other Door's threads that you can verify the HDCD(light comes on) encode by playing it in the Windows Media Player. Forgive my computer illiteracy, but I have never played a c.d. in the player. I've always played them in Toast. I put the disc in my computer and open the cd file and picked a song.
    A message comes up saying " Cannot open file. Verify that the path and filename are correct and try again". What's causing this? What would solve the problem? Do I need any upgrades?

24. I know there are some "Soft Parade" CD's that don't show up as HDCD in WMP. However, I've listened to the one's that show up HDCD, and the ones that don't, and I could tell no difference of one from the other.

Just get the ones Steve did for DCC. Once you have those, you need not search any further.

25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'm on a Mac as well and unfortunately HDCD playback in WMP is a PC only thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.