Angus Mcbean photoshoot for Get back album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peerke, Nov 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peerke

peerke Senior Member Thread Starter

Looking at some Beatles bootlegs I noticed that the cover of some Get Back boots had a different photo than the one used on the Red and Blue compilations. You know the one, with the four familiar faces in the staircase of the EMI building.

On the 1962-1699 & 1967-1970 compilations and on the original cover design for Get Back, as reprinted in the Anthology book, both John and George wear white suits. (Well, George's has blue stripes.)

But on some other prints of this photograph, e.g. as used by different bootleg labels (Strawberry Records, Vigotone...), George wears a brown suit and John a dark blue one.

Now my question is: did John and George really take the trouble to change suits on this photos-hoot on May 13, 1969 and why did they bother?

Or, is this the work of some bootleggers and why did he bother?

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

My guess is that they brought of change of clothes. By that time, all four were notoriously sick of photo sessions and probably wanted to maximize the usable shots that resulted from the day's inconvenience.
    Or, maybe the guy in the dark brown suit is really Billy Shears......

3. hoover537

hoover537 Senior Member

I heard an old interview with John and he said that it was his idea to recreate the 1st album cover and that he had Linda take the photos. Do you think that it is possible that there was two photo shhots? It doesn't make sense to me.

4. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

John in particular wanted an exact replica of the PPM cover.
    I had noticed the change of clothes and wondered about this too.
    My guess is that they changed coats. During the Mad Day Out (1968) photo sessions they changed locations and suits several times.

5. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've wondered about the different suits myself. Probably a change of clothes. As to why, who knows?

The Get Back cover photo has always been a favorite of mine, though. I have a bootleg vinyl copy that has a really cool cover--looks just like the real thing, complete with the laminate like on UK pressings. It looks awesome placed next to Please Please Me. The LP is white vinyl and pretty good quality (stereo, but plays a little slow). The vinyl copy has the white suits.

Attached Files:

6. william shears

william shears Senior Member

Wow

First time I've seen the alternative cover photo..well done that man. This only emphasises how concerned they were about their cover art, they took along a change of clothes for possible variations in the sleeve design. Thats why its so frustrating to see the crappy packaging of Submarine soundtrack, Naked, 1, and worst of all Capitol box.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.