Like a Rolling Stone voted greatest song.....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tetrack, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rolling Stone magazine
    As the title says, did not see it mentioned.............News Story

2. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Have to say I agree with that choice. It has everything. Besides being one of the most influential rock songs of all-time, it's just a damn good rock n' roll song, and there ain't nothing wrong with that.

How does it feel?

3. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Gather 'round, because here's where I take a major-league ripping from the rest of the class. I don't hate the song, but I don't particularly like it too much. The lyrics are great (of course) but his singing is too whiny for my liking (much like Positively 4th Street). I find the music to be somewhat bland and lazy. Boring is more like it. And at 6 minutes, it overstays its welcome. Without a doubt, it's my least favorite song on that album. Gimme 'Tombstone Blues', 'Buick 6', 'It Takes A Lot To Laugh', 'Queen Jane' or 'Tom Thumb' anyday. And now I shall run for cover.

4. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

No ripping from me.

A few years ago, Mojo did the Top 100 singles. They put Beach Boys "Good Vibrations" at the top followed by The Beatles "Strawberry Fields Forever". I think these are better than "Like a Rolling Stone" which I like a lot as well.

Sean

5. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I can't argue with that choice either.

But I really can't agree with Satisfaction and Imagine at 2 & 3! Far from the best of each of those artists.

6. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Run far, far away! :p

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

The Top 5 "greatest" songs as chosen by the musicians polled by Rolling Stone magazine are:

1. Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan
    2. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
    3. Imagine - John Lennon
    4. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
    5. Respect - Aretha Franklin

Fairly predictable as these things go, I suppose, although I am a little surprised that Imagine ranked as highly as it did. I hope this isn't taken the wrong way (as I like the tune, too, although I could think of a couple of Lennon records 'greater' than this one) I would've thought that an Elvis or Chuck Berry song might've gotten into the Top 5 before Imagine.

Jim W

8. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

There's a good case for the top pick as it was very influential in the style of lyrics to follow..

Again, no great surprises there.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Well, they must have listened to Steve's version on the DCC GOLD Highway 61, this has to be one of the lushest versions ever remastered on compact disc! It is mesmerizing to say the least...my ears actually feel fed after a listen...Do I love this or what? :laugh:

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No argument here, either. You could pick many songs from that era and come up with equal winners!

11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Hey, it's actually a mere 5 minutes and 59 seconds long! :angel:

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I guess it's suicide if you had to listen to Desolation Row. :D :laugh:

13. posieflump

posieflump New Member

I'm not an aficionado of Dylan, but have always loved this single.

However, I heard the stereo version for the first time a few years ago.

Where's the bloody organ?

Mart.

14. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Has to be my favorite Dylan tune by a mile. :righton:

Chris

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Great song, but not #1 for me. I'd say Good Vibrations.

These lists are becoming too "People Magazine's Most Beautiful People" like. How can the list change? Did someone get uglier in a year? Same with songs.......did Imagine suddenly get better? It wasn't that high when they did their "singles" list a few years back.

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i am totally against nirvana's "nevermind" being put on any list, i just don't think it is a very good overall album. i believe pearl jam's "ten" to be leaps and bounds above it.

however, the song "smells like teen spirit" was "the anthem" for early alternative music, and probably does belong on the list.

renny

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm confused - is the list Top 500 songs or top 500 record(ing)s ?

18. Expanding Man

Expanding Man New Member

What's wrong with Nevermind?

19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Actually, I always thought it clocked in closer to 6:10. Did the single run at a faster speed, or did it fade out sooner, or both?

20. BZync

BZync Senior Member

All great songs, but if I were to choose from the top five I'd have to go with What's Going On. Doesn't get too much better than that.

-BZync

21. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Good choices overall. We can all quibble, but they seem reasonable to me.

22. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

I think a lot of people hate these lists. They are way too subjective...That being said... Go Bob!

23. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

If RS terrible top 500 albums was any indication, these lists are made to make you argue.

I agree with the #1 which I think is a tour de force. I also understand Satisfaction even though it would barely crack the top ten Stones singles for me (I think Tumbling Dice is the almost perfect single from any artist).
    Imagine is just an excuse to get Lennon on there. If I were to sit down and make a list, I don't think Imagine would even cross my mind (love the song, but top 5)
    I'm shocked that they would have Imagine and not the Beatles crowd pleaser , Hey Jude.
    Good Vibrations should definitely be top 5 (even though I prefer Wouldn't It Be Nice)
    What's Going On - deserves to be on there but I think it is getting a little dated.
    Respect - no comment either way (I wouldn't have it that high)
    Suspicious Minds and Band on the Run are all top 5 contenders.

SPIN magazine did an excellent top "singles" about 10 years ago that was very good.
    I'll have to dig that up.

24. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Saw the Top 10 in news stories, and, perhaps other than the Nirvana song, can't really disagree too strenuously with too much of the listing.

25. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Very good choices! The article does note this was based on the choices of 172 musicians. Some big differences from when the ask the public the same question, normally Stairway to Heaven and Bohemian Rhapsody apprear near the top of the list. I wonder where they came in on this list. Anyone know the link to the entire list of 500 songs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.