Has anyone seen/bought Peter Gabriel Play today?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bobo U2, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member Thread Starter

Just called the Target near my house and they don't have it in stock. I figured I'd pick it up there since Live Aid is so cheap. Live Aid is not in stock ether :(

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

My BestBuy had plenty of copies. $11.99 each. I didn't see any at Target today.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

My brother got just one in and I had this one claimed long ago. Should be very interesting....I've a hunch by the time I'm done I'll still be glad I have the Cv laserdisc, but there should be more than enough here to make it worth having.

:ed:

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

5. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Also purchased mine at Best Buy for $11.99. Probably won't watch it until the weekend.

6. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Mine's waiting for me at home but I won't be able to 'Play' it till tomorrow night :(
    I'm looking forward to seeing the videos for 'Growing Up' and 'Father, Son'

7. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member Thread Starter

Too bad I didn't read Colin's review before I "Play"ed. Remix is a kind word...I'd used REWORKED. Which may not be bad but if you are not prepared to hear these new versions you wil say WTF???
    It seems that the DD 2.0 is the orignial mix or close to it and the 5:1 mixes is some cases are almost new songs....Hell I'll bite and maybe love them...just be prepared when you play Play.

Lots of xtras too
    for 12 bucks a Steal

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Peter has decided to embrace the new surround formats and have some fun with them.

Like you said....the stereo versions are for the people who want the original sound....the 5.1 is for the rest of us mad surround fanatics!

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

That's neat--it's like PG is offering something an little different/extra for those who buy the video. :thumbsup: Can't wait to get this one, and the price does seem nice!

10. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I went to Best Buy tonight. As usual, they still don't have last weeks releases. I asked the young salesperson about the Clapton SACD's and he told me they weren't in his computer.

11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

The surround mixes sound awesome. I don't even care if some stuff is ...er ..."new" on the 5.1 mix. It sounds wonderful. There's sounds coming from everywhere. Well done!!

12. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Got it. Haven't watched it yet.

13. Ed Bishop

Along with the Beatles box, have spent no small time listening to this one, mainly DTS and DD 5.1 so far...the stereo can wait.

Overall, great fun! :wave: It really is...some mixes, however, are more 'honest' to the original stereo mixes in 5.1 than others. I thought "Don't Give Up" worked very well, "Red Rain" also....and it's interesting to hear with pure clarity PG's vocal on "Sledgehammer," but I do wish the horns had been mixed up louder in places, and something else seems missing, which is also true of "Big Time".....

One interesting thing: "Solsbury Hill" is faux 4.1....there is no center channel that I can hear, and the backs are just there...there is no discrete mix, and it seems to be the only track that is like this in 5.1....lost multis, mayhap?

Just a few thoughts, more later....nicely done, though, visually, no excessive futzing, which is always a worry.

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Wasn't the Genesis DVD supposed to be out as well?

15. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I figured in this sensitive age of walkie talkies in ET and Greedo shooting first, that maybe Gabriel would refrain from smashing the windshield in 'Dirt.'

Sounds like he didn't 'go Lucas' on us.

16. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

just got mine, first listen imminent (sp)?

17. Ken_McAlinden

Wow, this is impressive. The multichannel is very active and directional. I listened to the DTS, which seemed a bit dynamically compressed. The DTS tracks is encoded at 1509kbps.

The disc is authored so that every video has it's own title (as opposed to being multiple chapters under the same title). This allows for features such as making a customized playlist and having the widescreen videos enhanced for 16:9 televisions. If your TV does not autodetect anamorphic content, you will have to either lock it in 4:3 mode (at the cost of some resolution for the widescreen videos) or manually switch between 4:3 and 16:9 modes.

Regards,

18. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

I remember seeing the "Games Without Frontiers" video on USA back in high school and absolutely loving it for its atmosphere. That was my greatest disappointment with the
    disc. I also wasn't crazy about the excessive futzing with the 5.1, but maybe some elements were needed to better round out the mix. Overall of the 6-8 or so videos I watched, they did a good job. My wife, the far bigger fan, said she really liked the presentation but also had similar complaints.

19. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Kooky surround mixes, eh? The vocals are coming from behind you most of the time. Drums are switching from front to back. Like I said, kooky. I like it. :)

20. Ken_McAlinden

Lots of low frequencies in the rear channels, too. A good stress test for your bass management.

Regards,

21. Ed Bishop

All in all, in spite of some wonky mixes, great fun and yes, quite a noisy little devil.....:)

22. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Oh man.....I don't like lead vocals behind me. That's bummed me out! :mad:

23. Ken_McAlinden

Perhaps now is the time to invest in a rotating chair? ;)

I don't think it's as bad as you fear it might be, though, and the two channel mixes are there for your entertainment as well.

Regards,

24. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Thanks to a certain large riverine e-tailer, I still don't have my copy :sigh:

but reading on PG forums apparently the "Games w/out Frontiers" video was extensively 'futzed with' visually.... removing the scenes where he crawls away from the menacing dolls and in turn walks around the formal dinner party made up of children with a big bad wolf vibe.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't recall vocals from the surrounds much of the time - definitely not LEAD vocals. A coupel of minor exceptions - f'rinstance, Kate Bush's stuff on "Don't Give Up" clearly comes from the rear speakers. Otherwise, it all sounded front and center to me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.