Which Dark Side of the Moon LP should I buy - 30th or MFSL?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveman, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveman

daveman Forum All Star Thread Starter

Yes, I've searched the forums, too. With the passage of time, which do you seem to play more? I'm not interested in the CD or SACD at this time. I hear really good things about both the MoFi and the 30th Anniv. edition. On a limited budget and only want to buy one. Which shall it be? Help! :help:

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Having both I like the 30th better.

3. daveman

What makes it better in your mind?

4. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I also prefer the 30th Anniversary version for a couple reasons. I seem to recall the MFSL LP being mastered quieter so surface noise will be a problem, especially as you wil be buying this second hand. I haven't A/Bed them in a while but I seem to recall liking the sound on the 30th better than the MFSL.

Also the 30th has much better packaging as you get both posters, both stickers and a new poster.

5. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

I also have both. I too like the 30th better. The low end is just stunning on the 30th version. There is extreme low bass information in the heartbeats that I never knew existed! Also, the overall sound is much more detailed and clear. The MFSL sounds rather smeared, after listening to the 30th version. There is much less surface noise on the 30th version too.

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It sounds more natural to me on my TT setup. It sounds like there was less tinkering and the low end seems to go deeper. I like the MoFi a lot but the 30th has an extra layer of depth and 3-D imagery I feel is lacking on the MFSL.

7. daveman

Phew, all this praise for the 30th...I'm tipping way in that direction now...:)

8. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

Another plus for the 30th, its cheap! Only $25!!!

9. daveman

Where is the cheapest place online to order the 30th anniv. LP? (cheap as in total price incl. shipping).

10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I have both, and I prefer the 30th Anniversary LP as well. Supposedly there are some extra special copies of the standard MoFi LP - I do not own or have heard one of these, and I don't know how the 30th Anniversary LP would compare to it. Search the archives - Humorem (Tom Port) gives away the dead area info to these copies in an older post.

11. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

30th.

12. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

The 30th for the reasons above. I got mine at Amoeba for $21.99!!!!!!

13. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

What about the regular original Canadian domestic Capitol LP (pressed by CBS), it sounds wonderful and many used copies can be found. Hell, I've got an extra....

14. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Pro-USE. :D

15. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Is the 30th anniversary LP out of print?

16. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I have the 30th, MFSL, UK, US, and dutch pressings and my fav is the 30th.

17. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Here's Tom's comments on a 30th Anniversary Edition he has on for sale for $24.99:

He's also selling a Half dozen other versions,
    so take your pick.

18. daveman

I saw one on ebay last week, a poorly listed one at that. I bid up to about $35 but there were several snipers at the last minute. It finished at about $45, still a good deal, but more than I wanted to pay.

19. daveman

How much does he charge for shipping? I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

20. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

It's Here about half way down.

BTW, Did you try finding it locally?? It's been a while since I've been to Paul's CD's in Bloomfield but I do remember seeing one there. Or if it's not out of print I'll bet Paul will order it for you and his prices are reasonable.

21. daveman

Ah, ok, thanks for the link.

As for locally, Jerry's Records, the regular shop I go to, does not have it. As a matter of fact there is a store nearby that sells lots of new vinyl (mostly hip-hop and indie, but never know) that I should check out.

I've never been to Paul's CDs in Bloomfield, and can't really because I don't keep my car with me at school. I think I'll try that local store or else order from Tom. Thanks!

22. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

I haven't heard the MFSL version, but the 30th is the best version I've heard so far.

Plus the fact that it's only $29.99 CDN locally is a bonus. I'm not sure if my local vinyl dealer ships, but I'll ask and post my findings here later.

23. daveman

I appreciate that, but it isn't necesary. It isn't hard to come by here in the US, I'm just trying to find the best deal :sigh: :laugh:

Thanks though!

24. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Here's a link to Paul's Home Page. It just has the stores street & E mail addresses and phone number. Give him a call.

Another place you might want to try is Eide's Entertainment on Penn Ave. in the Strip District (across from the Greyhound Station) Though they're prices tend to be a bit higher than Paul's.

25. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

m'kay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.