Smile Live In DC

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

As someone who has expressed skepticism having seen Brian Wilson live twice in the last few years (1999 and the Pet Sounds tours) , I can report to you that, after experiencing last night's Smile show at DC's Warner Theater, all of my concerns have been eliminated. He appeared much more cogent and, unlike the other shows I attended, he seemed to really be enjoying himself. The band was extremely tight and, as for the music: what can you say? When the band opened the 2nd segment with "Our Prayer," I knew what we were in for and was not disappointed. It's been said before, but the guy IS a genius. Encore guest shots during "Fun Fun Fun" by Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Ricky Fataar and Gary Tallent (in town for tonight's "Change" show) were pretty cool, too. "Marcella" was a revelation.

Interesting note for the band on the edge of the stage in masking tape: "Play good tonight- this is Washington, so you never know who is watching." Good thing Rummy's in Iraq.

2. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I had tickets on watch on eBay and threw them back because:

A) I stayed up late to watch The Redskins last night :cry:
    and
    B) I knew it would be a late night tonight at the Vote For Change gig :righton:

Really sorry I missed that show though. Thanks for the review
    Peace-
    Norm

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Aw Norm, you're gonna be kicking yourself over that one! This is a show you shouldn't have missed.
    :shake: :)

4. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Outstanding

Fantastic show. Brian exceeded all expectations and the band did justice to the "Smile" material and the other Beach Boys eras as well. Overall, even better than the "Pet Sounds" show I saw in Philly last time. I could have done without Bonnie Raitt on stage, however. I seem to remember her trashing the Beach Boys music sometime back in the 80s because she thought it was too "white"...

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I can vouch for that, I was at the Philly PS show as well. However, Brian was also much better the next night in Harrisburg, more relaxed, seemed to have fun with the more intimate venue.

The SMiLE shows beat almost any he's done over the past few years, though. :righton:

6. Bill

Yeah, I always got a kick out of Bonnie- raised by movie stars in Hollywood- criticizing the BBs for being too white! Her music is often great, but she really needs to stop overcompensating for her roots, or lack thereof. Get over yourself.

7. Bill

8. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I saw Brian Wilson and his band perform SMiLE Sunday night at the Warner Theatre in Washington D.C. I'd like to share a few thoughts on the concert, but first I want to say that anyone who is even remotely interested in this man or this music, or both, should make an effort to see this show. It's something very special, though the show I saw had a few troughs along with the astonishing peaks.

Spoilers ahead!

The show opened with an acoustic set modeled on the Beach Boys Party album. It was an inspired idea, I thought, and best of all, it showed a relaxed, happy, and very with-it Brian in the center. The change in his manner even since 2001 is breathtaking. The first tune, "Surfer Girl," featured Brian solo during the bridge--and he absolutely nailed it. I couldn't believe my ears. Even though he'll never again have that aching, yearning, flute-y tone he had at his command in the 1960s, the voice I heard was rich, sustained, and warm. That moment alone was worth the price of admission for me. The first set had some weak moments, but when it gelled it was a lovely, lovely thing, and it demonstrated to my satisfaction that Brian was in charge and not being propped up into position, so to speak. He even stopped the band once when they ran away with the tempo on "Drive-In," and made them start over.

The first rocking set was fine, for the most part, though on this night Brian wasn't quite up to the demands of "God Only Knows." By contrast, he did a great job on "Marcella," which he called "a personal favorite." He even played some piano here.

As great as it was to hear the BB stuff, the evening was about SMiLE, of course, and the performance was if anything even better than the record. Brian seemed to be having an absolute blast. I've never seen him so full of energy, so wreathed in smiles, so demonstrative and confident. The music is just incredibly powerful performed by a live band onstage. There was not a single weak moment. It just kept coming at you, building and building, for over an hour. I could see Brian's face well enough to see that he knew, beyond a doubt, that this music was his masterpiece, that it worked, that it rocked, that he'd come back for us and finished the grand design. I can't say enough about this performance of SMiLE.

I've often envied those who heard Tommy performed live during its early days. I've imagined just how mind-altering that experience must have been, and how hopeful it must have made its listeners to think that young men in their mid 20s could make music of such majesty and power. Sunday night, I believe I understood at last what that must have felt like. I remember in particular the ending of "Cabin Essence," when I really did think for a moment that the roof would come off the place and we would all launch ourselves into the clear sky.

And that was just the end of the first movement.

Who would ever have imagined the day would come when Brian would get a huge round of applause for a winning performance of "Vega-Tables"? But that's what happened. In context, the music all made perfect sense, especially on an emotional level. Brian's "feels," at last in order, did what he wanted them to do: they took us on a spiritual journey.

My only regret is that this is the only show I'll be able to see on this tour--and it's this tour that matters the most.

The evening was not flawless. Setting aside the rude (drunk?) woman in front of me who demanded I get her purse off the floor during the beginnings of "Heroes and Villains" (I politely refused), I must report that there were some weak moments in the vocals. They were rare--none at all during SMiLE--but they hurt at times. In general, when Brian did sing well he sang with more of his classic sound than I'd heard before. When he didn't sing well, though, Brian tended to push too hard and sing shrill and occasionally flat. There were a couple of painful moments during that first set. The sound mix wasn't great and I wondered if he was hearing himself well. He did a much better and more consistent job once he moved to center stage for the rock sets and for SMiLE, so maybe the monitors on the side for the busking set weren't set up well. It's also worth noting that Brian's mike didn't really flatter his voice, and he was often singing without much or any shadowing from Jeff Foskett, so if things went south they were clearly audible. Interestingly, if Brian was using a teleprompter this time, I couldn't see it. (He did fluff a couple of lyrics, but then so did John and Paul during their heyday, so no foul there.)

That said, the weak moments were insignificant compared to the strong moments, and SMiLE was more amazing than I'd dared to hope. I could clearly see that Brian shared my amazement and, more importantly, felt a great sense of joy as he performed the work. And when during the last two numbers Brian was joined onstage by Garry Tallent, Jackson Browne, and Bonnie Raitt, the celebration kicked up another notch. At the end of this three-hour show (including a 20-minute intermission), Brian was still standing, and standing proud. And so was I. When he closed the show with an intimate rendition of "Love And Mercy," the evening was truly complete.

I love you, Brian. Thank you for everything.

9. Gardo

In my haste to get out the door I missed that review, Bill. Thanks for sharing it. Joe Heim's right: this was a magical night, through and through.

10. teaser5

Gardo:
    Just an amazing review. Thank you. Milton would be proud.
    :agree:
    I was so close to going. I had a pair of nice seats on watch on eBay. Had I known you were going it may have pushed me over the edge. I just knew that the Vote For Change show (the next night) would go very late and I would miss too much family time.
    Sigh..
    :sigh:
    Thanks again my friend.
    Best-
    Norm
    :wave:

11. Gardo

Norm:

Thanks, pal. I wondered if you would be there, actually. I completely understand the logistical stuff--I'm still paying for the late night myself, actually--"can't pretend that growing older never hurts," as the man sang. But Brian's meant so much to me for so long ... I just had to go. If I could do it, I'd hop a plane and catch another performance. It's weird to say, but I miss him, probably because I genuinely felt closer to him Sunday night than ever before.

I had a couple of little conversations with other concertgoers. Many of the people I saw around me had interestingly similar expressions. Shy wonder, mostly. I felt as if I could reach out to these people in a way that had nothing to do with commerce or age or any of the smaller things that unite us now. I guess I got back to the garden, even though I wasn't old enough to be there the first time through.

Wonderful thing....

12. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Norm, you should have come out to Philly on Friday night...you coulda stayed with us! ;)

13. maccascruff

maccascruff New Member

I'm seeing Brian here in Denver on October 27 and I can hardly wait. Thanks for the reviews.

14. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Seeing him tonight at Carnegie Hall! I'm psyched!

15. teaser5

Damn! And I coulda gotten some pretzels too!
    :(
    Peace-
    Norm
    ;)

16. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Hey Larry! I'm going tonight too! Can't wait! Whooooo!! :righton:

------ Chris

17. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Well, I just have post a follow-up on this! Brian Wilson at Carnegie Hall was an amazing experience!! I just sat there during the SMILE segment in a trance watching (and hearing) the most improbable event imaginable - SMILE performed live! And, lemme tell you - it was better than the new CD! Man! They've GOT to release this on DVD! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

----- Chris

18. Larry Geller

It WAS incredible! Got to shake hands with Van Dyke Parks during the between-sets break! BOY, is he tiny! BTW, the ***** who called out for Papa-Oo-Mow-Mow, that was me!

19. StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields Active Member

Yeah, Carnegie Hall concert (Oct 12) was phenomenal. Boy, they nailed all the Smile segments. And Good Vibrations was much better dynamically than on the new CD. The only little problem was that Brian tended to sing a bit off-key now and then (no big deal...but at the Pet Sounds NJ concert, his pitch was perfect for some reason, so I was kinda hoping he could somehow match that). Anyway, all things considered, the Carnegie Hall Smile concert was an historic event which we are not likely to see again during our lifetime....WHEW! Larry, I am envious that you got to shake hands with Van Dyke Parks. I didnt want to bother the guy, but now that I think about it, I should have! And, by the way, was Brian enjoying himself to the max or what? How about when he got the big reaction on "California Girls" and burst out..."STANDING OVATION!" with that monster grin. I have never seen Brian so happy in all the years I have been following him. If anyone deserves to finally be happy for a change, it's Brian. Love ya bro!

20. Larry Geller

I saw the 10/13 show, so I missed that, but he sure did smile (pun intended) more than I have ever seen him do in concert.

21. JWB

JWB New Member

Did they film at Carnegie Hall? Have any other shows been filmed?

22. Larry Geller

There was a big recording truck outside, so they at least taped it.

23. reechie

reechie Senior Member

They've filmed two runthroughs of SMiLE on a Burbank soundstage before the tour began for DVD release in the new year.

24. JWB

JWB New Member

Cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.