Good sounding portable CD player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jaguar, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaguar

Jaguar Member Thread Starter

Does anyone have recommendations for a good sounding, high quality portable CD player (what Sony would call a "CD Walkman" or Discman)? I'm not concerned about extra features like ability to play mp3s or a built in radio. Just something basic that sounds good with a decent pair of headphones. Thanks! :cool:

-Jag

PS-Price range: maybe $100-150.

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

You may still be able to find the Aiwa XP-EV501R. It's unbelievably good sound portable CD player, especially when paired up with aftermarket headphones. I hope the current model released by Aiwa sounds just as good.

Otherwise, you can try the Sony D-NE300. Like the Aiwa, it's a very basic portable CD player. However, it has a 3-band parametric equalizer that gives more adjustability to the sound. Highly recommended! About $60.00.

3. jfidel

jfidel New Member

4. Jaguar

Jaguar Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. :wave: I'll check these players out.

-Jag

5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

You can order the Aiwa XP-EV501R directly from Aiwa for less than $50.00.

6. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

interesting, thx for bringing this up

I would stay away from the players with that little toggle on the front, to open them ( like the iRiver )

they tend to pop open all the time while in your pocket etc, or if you're doing anything other than leaving them on a flat surface, & the switch gets bumped.....really annoying, and they don't have a lock/switch on them, unfortunately

hmm, that Aiwai looks like it's the same mechanism as well.

I like the Panasonic "sport" models closure design.....but my last Panasonic crapped out on me, so I'm wary of buying another

*edited for crimes against vocabulary

7. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Well, practically every single one of the non-"sport" models from every brand use the same little toggle latch - some of those switches are at the front; others to the side. The ones on Sony players are nearly flush with the surface that they were mounted on; those of other brands protrude enough to create such annoyances.

And I actually strongly dislike some of the closure designs on some "sport" models: They may be easy to close and stay secure, but are extremely difficult or virtually impossible to open even intentionally (they require more hands than any single human has or have extremely stiff latches that require Superman-like strength just to even budge).

8. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

yeah, it'd be nice if they'd put a little "lock" switch on them, to keep from popping open. wouldn't be too hard to do.

but then I suppose they'd sell less sport models.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.