Sgt. pepper: mono vs. stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by galone_es, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galone_es

galone_es Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why Mobile Fidelity (and later EMI when releasing the CD) opted for the stereo version of Pepper, instead of the glorious mono ?

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

In a word...money. It would be nice to have both mono and stereo offered on the same disc but in the mind of the average listener (who doesn't know or care about these things), stereo is "just better". When "Sgt. Pepper" was issued on CD in 1987, I was one of those diehard dedicated "stereo only" listeners. Over the last few years, thanks partially to this forum, I have come to realize that many dedicated mono mixes are (as you mentioned above) "glorious".

3. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

I too had forgotten that this was the way I first heard Sgt Pepper was in the Mono version only first. Now that I have a copy of it on CD and got to compare the stereo version to it all I can say is "I do like them both" but it's some of the songs tempo's that I like best on the Mono version, in saying that, So to me those songs are in the correct tempo and that's how I'd love to hear them done in glorious STEREO also!!

4. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

My favorite thing about the mono Pepper CD-R that I recently received by kind courtesy of a forum pal was that Lennon's vocal is much clearer and more out-front on one of my fav tunes, "Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite" -- sounded like they lifted a veil from his vocal compared to my German, JPN and MFSL stereo vinyl pressings of the LP...

5. galone_es

I think the mono Pepper has more punch (as is usually the case with mono recordings compared to stereo), but to me the stereo Pepper (by Mobile Fidelity) has a more clear sound and a sense of sound spaciousness that I miss on the mono version. Did EMI have this mind when releasing the CD ? Do they know better ?

6. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I've always thought both have their advantages and disadvantages (sloppy editing on the mono, speed alterations in the stereo for example) and my first pepper was a mono in '67, I didn't hear the stereo till '69 and I still think both are great in their own way.

7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I still have my beat-up U.S. mono pressing I bought when I was 12 in '67. But after hearing the many different mono & stereo, vinyl (MFSL box, Jap. import, US), Japanese tape (mono transfer to cd), and cd versions, my favorite is the stereo version on a
    cd-r copy I recently received. It has both mono and stereo from vinyl sources, and the stereo is spacious, warm and involving. The mono is punchier, but narrower and somewhat brittle. Not sure if it's a Millennium Remaster or a Dr. Ebbett's. Anyone know how I can tell the difference?

8. galone_es

I have exactly the same feeling when hearing the Millenium Remasters CD for Sgt. Pepper (on the Silver Apple label), which includes both versions on the same CD.
    The Ebbets stereo version is also good, but Millenium has more bass-end.

9. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

I'd say EMI sanctioned the release of the stereo mixes because they didn't want 200 phone calls from fans asking them what the hell are they doing releasing the album in mono...No reverence for mono in general...I imagine that they feel that stereo means better...that's probably what the thinking was when stereo was invented! They'd probably be baffled to know why we'd even WANT the mono...

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's that blind "stereo is better" mentality at work. People listen more to the technology than the music.

Man, i'm glad i'm here on this forum with such a cross section of people! Before this place, I thought I was all alone in understanding the beauty of those unique, irreplaceable mono mixes! It makes me happy to be among people who also hear and understand what I do. :love:

11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Not to beat a dead (Henry-the) horse, but Pepper was released at the height of psychedelia, and stereo meant that trippy effects would be better appreciated swirling speaker-to-speaker. Cds were geared (and fabbed) towards baby boomers, so the stereo cd version of Pepper allowed them to relive those heady days of the sixties, even if they didn't really have those memories.

Now its our turn, Apple/EMI. Remaster Pepper in glorious mono, and in SACD while you're at it!

12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

People were incensed that the first four albums were in mono, never mind Sgt. Pepper.

13. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I love both mixes and play both on a regular bases. It really depends on my mood. I just love the sound of Ringo's drums on the mono mix of "A Day In The Life." The stereo mix doesn't come close, IMO! Ditto, for "Strawberry Fields Forever."

14. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I think the mono Pepper is overrated - many of the transitions between tracks are less smooth than on the stereo, and the openness of the stereo sound really adds to the general "psychedelicness" of the music. That said, some of the individual tracks do sound much better in mono - particularly She's Leaving Home. I also like Kite and Lucy in mono.

15. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The "Reprise" has a lot more punch to me and the drums sound a lot better. Too bad it has that edit glitch and sound of the tape being started on the audience sounds but I still think it is much better than the stereo, even with it's shortcomings. I like Paul's indecipherable shouting at the end too. :edthumbs:

16. galone_es

This not prevented EMI from releasing the first 4 Beatles CD's in mono.

17. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

My Favorite Pepper pressing is the Y&B Parlophone mono pressing, except for "A day in the life," which I think is way better in stereo.

18. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I think the mono and stereo both have their merits. The editing in the mono is sloppy, but the stereo just shows what they learned from the mono editing. Most of the time, I listen to both versions back to back. I think I have the Millenium Remasters so it has both versions on one disc. The MS sounds better though, although I would like to hear a Y&B Parlophone needle drop (the original vinyl is out of the question) just to hear the original intent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.