Viewmaster Personal Camera guys

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pinknik, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

2. RDK

RDK Active Member

Yeah, that's a tough (and pricey) one! My buddy in Chicago who turned me on to the whole VM camera thing has a couple of them and occassionally has stereo viewing parties at his home. For now, though, finances have me viewing solo...

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

My tale of woe as well! :(

They were about $300 or so in the early to mid 90's, I've seen them go for about $750, but recently one went for about $450. I haven't really been hunting for one in a while. You need a silver projection screen (not white) and of course polarized glasses, both of which you can find in many 3-D speciality sites.

When we have our viewing parties at home, I break out my lighted Model F's and Model H's. (I also have a Model D).

I'm glad I got my film cutter when I did. Now if only someone could manufacture the blank reels. They look simple enough, but I know that many people have actively tried without much success.

I picked up the 65th anniversary set at Toys Backward R Us recently. Nice idea, but bad packaging, and some anachronisms on the reels (ie a 1990's Snow White on the 1930's reel), and many of the pictures were poorly reproduced (washed-out color). I'm glad they included a pair from the ultra rare "President Kennedy visits Ireland" reel, though.

Up For Viewer!

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently bought a KISS reel that took me back in time. Did the Beatles ever appear in a ViewMaster reel?

5. stereoptic

nope! :( But The Monkees have their own 3 reel set! Van Halen, also. I've heard of a Residents reel set (the Dancing Eyeballs!) but I've never seen it!

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I've often wondered whether the Beatles were ever photograhed in 3D.

Even if they weren't intentionally, there must be many instances of two cameras being used to take shots of them from a couple of inches apart pretty simultaneously at press conferences etc...

If these accidental stero pairs were to exist they could be used to create a stereo image.

Also, it is pretty easy to produce a stereo image from two stills taken by a film camera that is moving roughly perpendicular to the direction of the subject - as long as the camera is moving fairly slowly and the subjects aren't moving noticibly between the two stills it should yield great stereo. This method could be used to produce 3D images of all sorts of interesting people and places....

:)

7. stereoptic

Me too! THey had so many photographers, but I never read anything about any stereo shots. They never hung around with Buster Keaton, Lucille Ball, or Dwight D. Eisenhower I guess!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.