Beatles Capitol Masters...you wont believe this....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RetroSmith, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Well, I'm stunned.

Today, I had someone I know contact a well placed spy at EMI about the Beatles LP project.

My contact said that:

1) YES, they are doing the Beatles Capitol LPs project. they could NOT confirm that APPLE agreed tho.

2) They ARE using the Dextor Tapes!!! AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! I cant believe it, but they are!! She did not know if they will be stereo or mono, or both. But they confirmed, that tapes DO exist.

My guess is that there will be no fake stereo, that they will use the Capitol monos instead of any fake stereo, but this is just a guess.

The spy at EMI is VERY reliable, so, I think this is a go, folks.

I STILL cant believe it, but I believe it.

Mikey

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Being born skeptical, Mikey, gotta say, I still don't believe any of this....

I'll believe it when it's finally out and the reviews come in.....although can't imagine the point of the whole affair if they used anything other than the old Cap masters.....

:ed:

3. RetroSmith

Eddie....

This much i can tell you...EMI is doing this. i do not know if APPLe has given their OK, tho, my contact did not know.

4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Well Mikey, I was with you and thought there would be no way they would use the Dexter tapes. However, the more I thought about it, I began to think that if they were going to do this project, they may as well do it warts and all and present the albums just as we remember them. Time will tell...

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

This is weird. How could Apple say YES? Better watch the window for a flying pig!

6. RetroSmith

guyDon.....i know!!

i am FLOORED that they are using the Dextor tapes. I mean, i am stunned, but thats what I am told, that they used the "original 1964 tapes they pressed the Capitol Lps from".

This is a hoot!!

7. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I hope this is true. Otherwise why else release them?

I wouldn't mind picking these up.

Sean

8. dpannell

dpannell New Member

Well Steve Hoffman said himself that Meet the Beatles was a need drop didn't he? So they got tapes of a needle drop? What's the point? :confused:

9. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

Remember when EMI prepared a special anniversary Mono CD issue of Sgt. Pepper including a lovely mock up for the cover and a CD master? Apple nixed it and that was that. I have a feeling we're going down the same road here.

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's not April, is it?? Darn.

11. RetroSmith

Well, yea, but i have to believe that for EMI to be doing this, they HAVE Apples Ok, or why bother?

Wish I knew for sure.

12. dpannell

dpannell New Member

Well if it's true, I hope they do a better job reproducing the covers than they did with the UK covers. :agree:

13. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

The Dexter mixes? I'll end up buying them anyway.

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It seems to me that this all rests in the hands of Apple. Capitol can prepere all the Beatles Dexter tapes it wants for CD, but they may never be able to market them.

I'm kind of curious how these CDs would sound, though. I actually want them to come out.

15. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I have Dr. Ebbets to listen to in case they don't release them. (Probably won't)

16. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

They didn't have Apple's OK for the mono Pepper release and yet EMI still bothered to put their time, money and energy into developing it. And even if they have a tentative OK from Apple, like another poster noted, Apple can pull the plug at ANY time including right before release. They have done this before.

17. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

We first heard this last night. I grew up with these versions so, listening to them would be nostalgic. It's funny, actually. I grew up thinking The Beatles tracks were all heavily echoed. To this day, I Feel Fine and She's A Woman sound odd dry to me. Who knows if we will actually see them? But, even if they do not get released, some "guy" will boot 'em....

Bob :)

18. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Any input from Ron Furmanek?

19. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I hope it's true, but until they are in my hot little hands....

20. Vintage Season

Vintage Season Active Member

Same thing I said about Neil Young's On the Beach.

- M.

21. Haven't seen the latest ICE, however, someone told me the other day that there is a small blurb on the Beatles U.S. albums coming out on CD. This person told me that ICE said "they" will be using the '87 EMI digital masters.

22. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Not true. All ICE says is:

"Rumblings at press time about Capitol reissuing the first four American Beatles albums as a box set for Christmas appear to have some basis of truth, a well-placed source tells ICE."

23. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

My understanding is that Apple will always have the final say.

I'm told that EMI can't even reissue the first four in stereo on vinyl - a format on which they were available for 25 years - without Apple's say so.

24. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

With no final approval from Apple yet, this whole idea is about as durable as a house of cards.

25. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

So which titles are they talking about?

Meet The Beatles
    Beatles Second
    Next would be A Hard Day's Night (wouldn't that be nice, but unlikely)
    Something New
    Beatles '65

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.