Anyone need a pair of vintage TANNOY GOLD 15's? THIS IS A GREAT DEAL!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Anyone need a pair of TANNOY GOLD 15"?

They are here in LA, 1000 bucks and our buddy Robert Pincus has them. The speakers and the crossovers. He's listing them on eBay next week so if someone needs a pair of old Tannoy dual concentrics, here you go! Contact Robert directly at:[[email protected]]

Attached Files:

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's a fabulous price. The crossovers too. They could bring $3k on the 'bay.

3. Steve Hoffman

Yes it is. If I were one of you I'd GRAB these! They are in LA and Robert is a guy you can trust...

Crossovers:

Attached Files:

4. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I'll bet you could drive those beauties with a few watts if mounted right. That opens up a lot of good possibilities for pure simple amplification.

5. Steve Hoffman

I have a pair myself; use them every day.

Attached Files:

6. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Nice boxes Steve. What do you drive them with?

7. Steve Hoffman

Doug,

This oft printed picture says it all:

Attached Files:

8. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Oh my, I've never seen that before. That is an absolute beauty Steve.

9. Steve Hoffman

Thanks. My "vintage" system. Mac 30's, Marantz 10B, Marantz 8B, Marantz 7C, etc. etc.
    I've run my Tannoys with a few as 3 watts each. They didn't seem to mind. I'd be lost without my pair.

I use these the most with the Tannoy Golds. Amazing sound (minus the towels of course).

Attached Files:

10. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

How much do the speaker boxes weigh?

11. Steve Hoffman

Don't know. Not that heavy, pretty hollow inside. Robert's don't have cabinets though...

12. audio

audio New Member

Here is a photo of what Steve refers to as my "baby Tannoys".:D These are the 12" version in smaller cabinets. I've got three pairs of Tannoys in my collection currently(two pair of 12"s and one pair of 15"s).....and like Steve, I'd be lost without mine as well. Steve is the person who turned me on to these wonderful units in the first place when I first joined the forum and was hunting for the perfect pair of vintage speakers. Little did I know at the time that his recommendation would change my life. A word of warning, though: vintage Tannoys are habit-forming!!:agree:

Attached Files:

13. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Great gear guys....Steve I also love those cabinets you keep everything in. I'd love to get something like them in my new place....they are two units paired together, right (if I remember from the archives)?

14. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

hmmmm.... How would one go about finding the proper caabinets and mounting these. I'm not very handy in the woodworking department.

15. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi SH,

Thanks for the info. If they're still available, i'll buy 'em. Sent Robert an email at Cisco. They should match up nicely w/ my McIntosh gear. :)

Take care,
    Jeffrey

16. audio

audio New Member

Okay....who is it?:D Step up and make yourself known. Just spoke with Robert on the phone and he says I'm number two on the list to buy these speakers. He wouldn't tell me who beat me to it! Who's the wiseguy who's trying to steal my Tannoys??:D

Anyway, I was really impressed with Robert. What a great guy!! Based on our phone conversation, I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him. I'm going to have to grab a copy of that Gary Karr lp he's selling as well.:thumbsup:

17. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

How would these speakers compare to modern ones?

18. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

The Tannoy sound is a good deal more "forward" than most modern speakers. The treble is handled by a high quality compression driver, this gives singers and soloists a three dimensional quality that is hard to match. Compared to the best modern speakers I have heard, these have less air. The effect is that the musicians are in the listening room, rather than in a concert hall. I think they are more sensitive to proper boxes than most people think. If they are in the wrong boxes, they can sound a bit tubby in the bass and they can render orchestral swells in a muddy way. In the right enclosure, the bass is the best in the business.

In the right boxes, with the right amplifiers ( like the MC30's), these things have a seamless quality to the sound.

A tip, I use mine with peizo horn super tweeters from radio shack. I made a crossover with a l5k Hovland cap and a bunch of 8 ohm resistors to attenuate the volume. The effect is magical. It was cheap, too.

Jason

P.S., The right enclosures would be good sized infinite baffle, a bass reflex 300 liter cabinet or the Lockwood rear loaded horn cabinets. I have not heard any others yet.

19. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

Sorry, the Hovlend cap crosses things over at l5k. :D

Jason

20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I have a pair of Tannoy Townsmen and even though they're "low end" for the line they do sound amazing...hooked up to my Fisher amp they do best with acoustic and jazz recordings; vocals are "in the room" realistic as you stated. I'd love to move on up to Monitor Golds but my wife would KILL me if I spend one more cent on hardware, at least for the next few months!

21. audio

audio New Member

So WHO bought the speakers??? The reason I ask is because I happen to have a pair of clean empty original Tannoy 15" cabinets that I no longer need now. Whoever you are....would you like to buy them for your new drivers? I don't want much for them. Send me a PM and we can take this over to the classified section if you're interested.

22. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

Prix,
    Got any pix?
    Dean

23. jgnagy

jgnagy Forum Resident

Prix, if the cabinets are still available, I may be interested. One of the options I'm considering on my speaker quest is the 15" Tannoys, but the cabinet thing is a toughy because of the size and shipping ordeal.

I'm sure the speakers are gone, but if they aren't, I am interested in those for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.