Pink Floyd's 'Animals' SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

This bodes well for more Floyd releases:

RWO

2. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

What a BIZARRE rejected original cover by Storm Thorgerson! I've never seen that.

3. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

What would be very cool is a simultaneous vinyl release just like Dark Side.

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

That's a pretty bare bones recording. I'd prefer Wish You Were Here in 5.1

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Agree. Vinyl would be a nice thing.

While they may not be able to use the original surround mix or the extra material only on the 8-Track (I really wish!) this album would really sound great on SACD with the full dynamic range of the original master tape.

I have Storm's book. It's one of the most brilliant, vibrant art books I've seen. I would recommend it to any Floyd fan. You should be able to get one in softcover cheaply. The stories as well as the inner-workings of one of the most prolific album artists explain much of what is explored in finding the perfect visual concept. Storm is also a really funny guy, quite personable, ironic - much like his work.

Anyone want a flying pig screensaver? It's pretty cool:

http://www.floydianslip.com/scsavers.htm

6. LtPepper

LtPepper Forum Resident

Sckott, I've been using that screensaver at work since it was first released. Very cool. The sky even gets dark at night.

I have Strom's book and also recommend it.

7. Wufnpoof

Wufnpoof Well-Known Member

Sckott, can you tell me what the extra material only on the 8-track was?

8. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

What a disturbing cover.

9. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

Not quite psychedelic IMO. Glad it was rejected.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I think Animals would be great in 5.1. I love the spooky atmospherics in the recording. The BASS would be great with a sub too!

11. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Pigs On The Wing pt 1 & 2 are combined with a guitar solo by Snowy White. Here's more info:

http://pinkfloydhyperbase.dk/who/w.htm

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I can't wait. I think the dark feel in 5.1 would be immersive.

13. Sckott

Snowy White has a gee-tar solo on Pigs On The Wing. Because of certain royalty pitfalls, it's very possible it won't show up in this new SACD issue either, but it would be interesting as a bonus track. It works for the 8-track format in a twist of fate, as shown here:
    http://www.8trackheaven.com/animals.html

The solo never appeared anywhere else but the cart.

14. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

Don't get too excited. This was not an official announcement, and in fact is nothing more than a rumor from a "reliable source" at this point. I'll be glad to see it if it arrives but I remain skeptical.

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yeah, it's pretty dark. My only concern is the sparseness of it, but it would probably be pretty spread out to compensate for the raw arrangements.I can already hear keyboards in the rears!

16. dcooper

dcooper New Member

I think this is great news. IMHO Animals is a more interesting album than WYWH. Both albums are classics in my mind, but I like the guitar playing on Animals better. Can't wait to hear a 5.1 of it!

17. Wufnpoof

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

18. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Nope! It can be found on Snowy White's CD GoldTop. Probably OOP though.

19. Sckott

Really?! He didn't get hosed with a royalty problem? That's good to hear, tho.

20. Sckott

Yes, and it really had no bearing to the album's concept. "Animals" feels like a business blueprint. Dogs, Pigs, Sheep... society and humanity in a very cold delivered tale.

The kid watching two people lie on top of each other is totally wrong and looks horrible. The stories of the "runaway" pig when Storm and a crew went to snap the front-cover panoramic photo is really funny. Loose inflatable pig! I can't wait to read that article again.

21. Wufnpoof

Well I agree the cover is inappropriate for this album - but I also think that there's another (more specific) theme to this album buried in the lyrics for anyone who looks (or listens) closely enough.

22. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Just the thought of this made me go :goodie: .
    True, only a rumour, but Waters has been very pro-SACD. Animals would be a great candidate. I currently don't own a copy of this album, since I've been holding out for this exact thing, but it's a great album!

23. Sckott

Well, it's another possibility that this may never see SACD, but the fact that things like this are pondered seriously is a very good sign no matter what.

I'd LIKE to see hi-res flourish past a mere sporadic sprint stage.

24. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

I've yet to read the link, but the thread title got me pretty excited. Animals on SACD would really make my day, to put it mildly. Put me down for 2 copies because I'll surely wear out the first one pretty quickly.

25. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

yes, this is exciting news that I hope actually sees the light of day:)
    a great album even if a couple tracks are a little over long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.