Hollies on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rpd, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpd

rpd Senior Member Thread Starter

I have seen few threads, but no consensus...

All I own now on CD is the Epic "Greatest Hits" set. I don't think it is the remastered one, but what is the best way to tell??? Anyone know?

Is there a consensus on what the best comp CD there is sonically for this band?

On LP I own the Epic "Greatest Hits", a stereo Imperial "Bus Stop", a stereo Epic "Evolution", a 2 box UK EMI "Hollies Greatest" and an y/b Parlophone mono "Hollies Greatest"

Comments please?

2. Goodyear

Goodyear New Member

Steve has said in the past that the "20 Golden Greats" CD on EMI (cat# CDP 7 46238 2) are flat unprocessed transfers of the original masters. I have this disc, and it does sound great. It's still in print in some countries, and comes up often on eBay. Here's a brand new copy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4032647975&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Having never heard the Epic Greatest Hits, I couldn't help you there.

Now, what I'm wondering is are there any good sounding CDs of the '60s Hollies albums?

3. audio

audio New Member

We need a friggin' Hollies best pressings website. I'm going through it right now trying to collect this stuff. The Hollies are INCREDIBLE. As a side note, I'm pretty impressed with the original issue cd of "Distant Light". I think it sounds fantastic.

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Yep, This was covered not long ago. It is available in Canada for a very good price A & B Sound and Amazon.ca carry it.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

These are the stereo mixes though.

6. Goodyear

Goodyear New Member

Thanks, I must have missed that thread -- couldn't remember the last time this CD was mentioned. I've only refrained from delving further into the Hollies because there seems to be no decent sounding CDs of their albums -- looks like I'll be investing in vinyl.

Most greatest hits CDs on EMI from around this time period sound very good though (especially compared to the stuff they'd do later). I just found a CD of the Buzzcocks' Singles Going Steady on Liberty/EMI (cat# CDP 7 46449 2), and it sounds great. Better than the US IRS CD, and miles better than the current UK remaster.

7. rpd

I think I have the mono covered with the LP....So I am OK with a stereo CD...

8. Steve Hoffman

20 Golden Greats, yes with the smokestack cover, that's the one.

Also look for the EMI HOLLIES-All The Hits And More/The Definitive Collection two-CD set from a few years later.

Both of these contain the original mixes, flat without noise reduction.

The 2 disc set has a few songs in mono plus the 45 version of YES I WILL.

TongueDruid likes this.
  9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I wish the 2 CD set "All the Hits and More" would be reissued. I have looked far and wide for that collection.

10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

What are the Hollies CD's on Sundazed like?

All I have is the 3 disc 30th anniversary box from a few years back. Great liner notes but it's my understanding there were some things remixed.

11. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I enjoy the Sundazed discs. That said, I don't know why they used the US "Evolution" tracklisting, but the UK disc for Butterfly (yeah, I know it's called "Dear Eloise/King Midas in Reverse," but I'm pretty sure it's essentially Butterfly). Also, "Leave Me" is on the latter for some reason, and is collapsed slightly. Additionally, Irwin isn't too constant about whether he's using original mixes or remixes.

12. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I love these Hollies discussions, one of my favorite bands, can't get enough good sounding Hollies on CD. I can not locate a copy of "All The Hits and More"...would love to see that re-issued. I try to have as much Hollies as possible in both mono and stereo. The early See For Miles compilations of "The Other Side Of The Hollies" and "Not The Hits Again" are both pretty good..pre NR days. You can find most of the B-sides that were remixed to stereo on the EMI 3CD set,in mono on these discs. Does anyone know where to get a mono mix of Jennifer Eccles? Thats one I can't seem to locate on CD.

JF

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Most of them were remixed (except for the Alan Parsons stuff). The sound is on the thin/bright side. Whether this is from the mixes or caused by the Kevin Reeves mastering is uncertain. There's not much that excites me except the track listing. The original mixes are certainly nicer.

14. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

With the exception of Stay, Yes I Will and Look Through Any Window (which are in mono on All The Hits And More), the sound of All The Hits And More is very similar to 20 Golden Greats. The latter has a bit more bass.

15. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

I don' think anyone has answered this question, but the remaster has an extra track (13 instead of 12) and a new catalog number (which I don't have handy).

16. rpd

That helps. I have the non-remaster.

Next question, if I pick up the 20 Golden Hits CD, is there any reason to keep the Greatest Hits CD?

17. Steve Hoffman

Reopened by request.

18. fboothco

fboothco Day Tripper

I strongly recommend the three multi-disc Parlophone packages out of the UK: The Clarke-Hicks-Nash Years (April 1963 - October 1968), Changin' Times (January 1969-March 1973) and Head Out Of Dreams (August 1973-May 1988). Excellent sound including original mono, good documentation, well-packaged. A Hollies fan's dream come true since it captures virtually everything the band ever recorded.

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Anything since 2004 that contains the true mono and stereo Hollies without any tinkering? Been wanting to get some of their stuff, but always not thinking of it when I'm going through music for sale.

20. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

I like the "Greatest Hits" remastered by Vic Anesini.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

so many people are unaware of the amount of music the hollies made after 'he ain't heavy" and 'long cool woman".......and it all pretty darn good stuff too.

jricc likes this.
  22. Steve Hoffman

Tell us why. And with your gear profile filled out, of course.

23. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The remastered Greatest Hits has a different mix of "King Midas In Reverse" with the orchestration buried in the mix. It sucks.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just give me the Hollies in stereo and I'm happy!

25. ragepil

ragepil Forum Resident

It has the songs I want by The Hollies, adding The Air that I Breathe that the original release didn't had.

It sounds very clear. Not loud, not compressed and, in my opinion, clearer than the 20 Golden Greats.

Anesini rarely dissapoints me and I like his work.

I'm not an expert and I'm not going to check graphics or numbers to listen to the music, but my ears love the sounds.

I request you kindly to ask people to explain why and their gear (filled out, by the way) everytime they share their preferences.

Man at C&A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.