Shopping List for japan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just got back from Japan and managed to pick up some Mini-Lp CD's at for a bargain ($13 each is a bargin, right?). The first four Aerosmith albums are great sounding.

I am heading back in November and will have time to music shop, which makes me ask:

Any suggestions on great japanese releases (both CD and vinyl)? I collect all types of music so I have lots of opportunities!

Secondly, any suggestions for music stores in Tokyo and Yokohama? Especially ones that have reasonable vinyl inventory?

I really like collecting vinyl, but buying the mini-Lp's were easy and quick given the little time I had.

Thanks for your feedback

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I hate to say this, but unless you are a fan of them (and that's cool) the mini-lp Japanese CDs are really turning out to be a dime-a-dozen and the mastering usually is below-par, IMHO. Usually it's overboosted, much like many US reissues. Some are nice, but out of a few I have, I can say I'm not very fond of any of them. Cute though!

If you have an SACD player, there's PLENTY to pick up in Japan that will be more than worth the Yen. In Jazz, there's a few real nice reissues that aren't specially packaged.

Lps, there are a few interesting pieces out there, but again, I have about 40 different Japanese pressings and they all seem to be cut a tad bright and shallow for sonics.... Blue Note reissues might be a whole different thing!

3. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

If I was going to Japan I'd be concentrating on finding black triangles/original issue Japanese CDs and possibly JSACDs. I'm with Sckott on the mini and maxi LPs...you could probably sell 'em on the Bay for a small profit though.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Oh, almost forgot - A few Verve reissues from Japan on LP, those were really nice. Are you into Jazz at all?

5. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

Kiss: Chikara (Japan only!) is said to feature the 12" version of "I Was Made For Lovin You"...

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It does and it is featured on the CD Single for We Are One.

Any Japanese Kiss vinyl will profit on Ebay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.