Jethro Tull Heavy Horses Remaster Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Great Deceiver, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member Thread Starter

Hi, I stumbled across this great forum and immediately delved into reading all the great informative posts here; there's really good stuff here! :righton:

So I thought I'd bring up a question I had about the recent remastering of Heavy Horses. Supposedly there are two "mistakes": one is some sort of volume spike around 00:43 on "And the Mouse Police Never Sleeps." The second is "Rover" seems to be missing the "silly strings" that are throughout the whole song! I don't have the original or new album, only an mp3 so I don't know what I'm missing I guess. Maybe the strings were dubbed onto the vinyl master?

I've heard people have mailed EMI/Capitol with complaints. And now there seems to be TWO remastered versions (not counting the Japanese LP sleeve remastering): one from May Capitol/Chrysalis 581571 and a later one from June by EMI (at least this is what Amazon.com and towerrecords.com are telling me)

So have these two problems been corrected, maybe in the new release of HH?

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Welcome to the Steve Hoffman Forum Mr. Deceiver. I am a huge Jethro Tull fan, but I do not own this remaster yet. Although I can not answer your question you came to the right place to find out anything about mastering and other aspects of recorded music. I will keep track of this thread and try to help out if I can.

3. JWB

JWB New Member

The beginning of the second song is slightly clipped, as well.

4. rdnzl

rdnzl Forum Resident

I just compared my old non remastered Chrysalis CD (3211752) with the EMI/Chrysalis-Remaster (5835162) and yes the strings on "Rover" are missing on the new one. I never noticed this before... (The strings on the old disc aren't throughout the whole song - they start at about 1:50). However, I didn't notice a "volume spike" in "Mouse Police..." and - compared to the old disc - the beginning of "Acres Wild" isn't clipped (I haven't got the vinyl, so maybe that's different)

5. Great Deceiver

Thanks for your replies! I forgot to get email notifications so I lost track of the thread :o

At least Mouse Police is OK, but the strings are missing...Maybe the Japanese Toshiba LP sleeve or the alternate EMI release will have it? Now what I mean by "alternate" one, is on the online retailers, like Amazon there are 2 remastered versions here and here. What's the difference between the two? :confused: Thanks again for your insights!

6. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

One is an import (EMI), the other is a US copy (Capitol).
    I see you are a King Crimson fan - great album with superb sound.

7. JWB

JWB New Member

Only very slightly.

8. Great Deceiver

Thanks for your help on the matter! Maybe the Japanese sleeve will have the parts?

Yes, I really like King Crimson very much, though I don't care for their 90s and on work. I don't have the boxset, but I have heard good things about it and I might get it off www.disciplineglobalmobile.com at a non-scalper price. :D

9. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Get it immediately, as well as "The Nightwatch". Better sound than USA and superb performances. Great booklet also. Just wait until Bill Brufords bass tom hits the woofers in the Providence version of Larks' Tongues In Aspic Part II!!

10. Great Deceiver

Then I will have to get it! :) Though I have a soft spot for USA as I'm familiar with the Asbury Park area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.