Japan Vs. US CD Sound Quality Using Same Digital Master

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill S, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill S

Bill S Senior Member Thread Starter

I've read over and over again how the Japanese CD of this or that sounds better than it's US counterpart. How can this be if both countries are using the same digital master? Aren't the "bits" exactly the same? :confused:

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

They always sound the same. Bits are bits.

Or, they sound different and bits are not bits because of jitter problems, etc.

Do a search and you'll find comments on both sides of the fence.

3. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

And that's the only post on the subject you're likely to find that all forum members (past and present) agree on.

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Or, bits are still bits but they sound different due to jitter.

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Why then does my 1985 Kate Bush Hounds of Love Japan CD sound better than the English edition?

Evan

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I stick by that a lot of Japanese issues sound brighter when they master it themselves.

sa5150 likes this.
  7. Dob

Dob New Member

Over and over again? Ouch. Kinda makes it sound like some of us are harping on it.

Try it for yourself. If you don't hear a difference, there isn't one. I'm not being facetious - that's what it boils down to. There are many times I wished I didn't hear one, because replacing hundreds of US CDs with Japan ones is expensive. On second thought, maybe you don't want to try it for yourself. :)

Keep in mind these are usually very subtle differences. Some people might notice a bigger sonic improvement by unplugging their microwave, or moving their speakers an eighth of an inch. OK, now I am being facetious...but only slightly.

8. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Dunno. There's an easy way to solve it. Rip it to your computer and do a null-test on the waveforms...hell, just see if they stay in sync. If they don't, well, there's your answer: they were made from different masters. If they do stay in sync or, worse, cancel out...well, use as many different variations of the jitter explanation as you'd like to get around it, because the data on the discs is identical.

As I've posted, my Kate Bush "Lionheart" is identical in data to my US issue. That said, the Japanese disc sure looks sturdier, and I'm sure that some players would track it better. Whether this means that it's worth tracking down is something else entirely.

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Assuming the same master, the data is identical. The amplitude is on the CD, but not the time base. Differences can arise in reconstructing the music.

10. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

PYSCHOACOUSTICS

have you tried testing blind?

Tim

11. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I did a bind US/Europe vs Japanese test with Mamsteen's Odyssey, Deep Purple's Saves and Masters and Abandon, Rainbow's Stranger in us all, Black Sabbath's Cross Purposes, Halford's Crucible and all Joe Lynn Turner's lates solo CDs. In all ocassions except for Cross Purposes the japanese CDs were much better. Less digital so to say. Japanese Cross Purposes was a disaster sonicaly but I kept it beause of the very cool bonus track.

12. Dob

Dob New Member

I also agree that not all Japan CDs sound better - in fact, some sound worse - but (as you pointed out) the bonus tracks are a nice consolation prize.

sa5150 likes this.
  13. SuperMusicFan2003

SuperMusicFan2003 New Member

I have to admit that I've heard differences on the Japanese presssing vs a US pressing of many titles, especially when it come to Elvis Presley's catalog.

I purchased a Japanes pressing of Elvis Is Back not too long ago and it sounds identical to Steve's DCC very warm and natural sounding vs the regular US version which was very harsh and digital sounding in comparison.

sa5150 likes this.
  14. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Is Steve running for President? This is the official Democratic/Republican stand on the subject.

15. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I think that it is jitter control in the manufacturing process. It really depends on the facility and the engineer. The Japanese are probably more consistent at controlling jitter. Once they learn how to do something, they do not want to change; at least that was my experience.

16. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

If you think J. vs. U.S.A. Cee Dee's is BADD...
    Check out how DVD's a mastered differently throughout the world!
    Unbelievable!!
    Best site for comparison is DVDBeaver.
    If the poor (literally) guy's site is still up!?!?!?

I am a W.G. freak, myself!

17. Dob

Dob New Member

And sometimes the WG CDs sound better still...though in my experience that's pretty rare. The only case that I can think of right now is one of the Talking Heads CDs, IIRC it was Remain In Light. Not that I've had the opportunity to compare many.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.