Kevin Gray talks about "recuts".

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Kevin emailed this to me in response to the "secret" recuts thread. It was only later on that he realized that you were talking about CD recuts and not LP recuts. I think this info is interesting and so I'm posting it here. Kevin's been cutting records since the early 1970's and should know!

----------------------------
    Hey, one of your guys posted about "secret re-1,-2 recuts?". Originally "re" meant re-cutting to change a song, or a mix, or EQ. By the time I started cutting in '72 it just referred to any replacement lacquers needed down the line. As I recall WB and UA used that system. Columbia used PAL and PBL prefixes for side 1 and 2 and A and B suffixes for the Santa Maria, Ca. plant, C and D for Terra Haute, In. and E and F for Pitman N.J. Six (or more) sets of lacquers were usually cut for any big-name artist, so the very first mastering would be 1A,1B,1C,1D,1E,and1F. Any recuts would be the next higher number for that plant. That way they could easily keep track of how many replacements were needed for each plant. If a part was blown in processing, the next higher number was used, so even the first run could have numbers higher than 1 or 2 . As I recall when WB started using the Columbia plants in the 70s they went over to the 1A, 1B etc. Our old "buddies" at MCA also numbered each lacquer and added a -P or Pville and -G or Gville for Pinckneyville, Il., and Gloversville, NY respectively. I can't remember for the life of me what Capitol used... I know one of their plants was on Orange St. here in L.A. Other labels used these plants or independent plants like Research Craft in L.A., which was later bought by UA, or Waddell in Burbank (a lot of the worst Stones pressings came out of there). This is bringing back some bad memories! ;-)
    Anyway...hope this clears up some of the mystery.

All the best,

Kev

2. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I thought this was pretty interesting. Thanks Steve!

Sean

3. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Kevin and Steve,

This is the neat kind of info that brings so many of us here. [​IMG]

Thanks for the recut data. :thumbsup:

4. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I'm curious . . . what were the characteristics of Research Craft LP and/or 45 pressings, and which labels (besides U.A.) used this plant? I may have some pressings from there and not know it . . .

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I'll pass your question on to Kevin.

6. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

:wave:

Good to see you here. :)

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

For vinyl hounds like me, this post is worth printing out and keeping in your wallet!!

Thanks Steve and Kevin,
    Dan C

8. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.