Is $45 a good price for a sealed DCC CD of Cream Wheels of Fire?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jul 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I found a sealed copy of the DCC Cream Wheels of Fire CD set at a local CD shop recently for $45. Is that considered a good price these days? I ask because the sealed DCC CDs that I tend to see remaining in stores are the ones that don't fetch too much on eBay (e.g., The Everly Brothers' Best, the Judy Garland Carnegie Hall set, and the Sinatra discs). Is Wheels of Fire one of those DCC titles that sells on the cheap? Www.mymusicfix.com has it for $119.99, which is a low price for them. Given their typical mark-ups, I'm thinking that the Cream set doesn't fetch too much. Am I wrong? Thanks!

2. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

Dude, are you kidding? That's less than the original LIST price. GET IT!!!

3. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Get it! Not to disappoint...

4. KeithH

I've seen some holdover two-disc gold sets (mostly MFSLs) at these stores for $53.99, so $45 seemed a bit low. However, I don't know what the set sold for through retailers when it was in print. I also had no idea what the set really went for these days. I'll see if they still have it. Thanks.

5. KeithH

O.K., I just called the store, and they still have it. It's $50, not $45. No biggie. I'll grab it this afternoon.

6. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Wonder if it'll be $60 by the time you get there....:D

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

A no brainer, like others say....

8. KeithH

Yeah, I hope they don't find mymusicfix.com before I get there! :eek:

9. KeithH

Well, I knew it was a good price in terms of the music and the mastering. I mean, it's Cream and Steve Hoffman. What I was really after was whether the store price of $50 represented a good deal by today's standards. With all the music I buy, if I could likely find the Cream set for the same price elsewhere down the road (not too far down the road), I might not jump at it now.

10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

FYI,
    I paid $65.00 dollars for an unsealed (though mint condition) copy, and I thought that was a good price. Definitely pick it up. In my eyes it is one of Steve's greatest jobs in mastering.

11. Ben

Ben New Member

I'll take it (and pay you a premium for your trouble, too)!

Ben :wave:

12. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I was able to get a sealed copy of this at a store a year or so ago for roughly the same price. The only drawback is that the one I purchased is the version without the bonus tracks. Nonetheless, it doesn't matter that much.

Get to that store now and pick up the disc - and let us know if you get the copy with bonus tracks or not!!

13. KeithH

I was not aware that DCC released it in two versions. I don't recall the back of the slipcase mentioning bonus tracks. Hmmm.

In checking eBay, I see that mymusicfix2 is trying to get $134.99 for a sealed copy. There is an advertised mint copy there with a $43.99 Buy It Now.

14. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

To my knowledge there is no way to tell if the bonus track is inside.When i purchased mine, I was pleasantly suprised. I think I purchased it from CD Connection a couple of years ago.

15. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

16. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Hey Steve. I REALLY enjoyed reading the thread about your struggles with WOF. Heck, ALL of those stories are such a kick to read that I was wondering if you ever considered putting all of these memories together in one place? It would be wonderful to have your thoughts and recollections in one easily searchable form. If you ever wrote a book about all of musical history you have been a part of, I'd buy it. You just have to promise to sign the inside cover!! ;-)

17. KeithH

18. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

Considering the fact that that is exactly what you would have paid 12 years ago, yer lucky ya found it!

19. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

20. What's surprising is this has been listed for 5 days already and no one's jumped on it. I would if didn't own it already. Sounds great. :thumbsup:

I'm keeping an eye on this ebay seller -- the bigmonkey seems to have very fair prices. :)

21. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

He sure does. I've purchased several from him. Just a few minutes ago I purchased War's Greatest Hits (Avenue Gold version) for $7.99.

22. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Great Price.
    Great Disc.
    :agree:
    Peace-
    Norm

23. KeithH

O.K., I just got back from the store with the DCC Wheels of Fire set. The set came with the slipcase and I believe all the paperwork inside. There is a silver carboard fold-out that has the album artwork on the front and back covers and nothing inside. Then there is an interesting booklet with a yellow front cover and pink back cover. The front cover (yellow) says "CREAM/Wheels of Fire RECORDING INFORMATION" and lists recording dates and locations for the main tracks on the two discs (nine tracks for disc one and four tracks for disc two). Also listed are Atlantic master numbers. It's pretty cool. The back cover (pink) has mastering credits and copyright information. Interestingly, this set was mastered be Steve. What a nice surprise! Just kidding. :p Inside this booklet is the ATCO rainbow LP artwork. It looks very cool.

The next bit of information came as a surprise to me when I opened the package. The back inserts for both discs say "Discs manufactured in Japan". However, disc one is a US pressing, having been made at the Nimbus plant, and disc two is a Japanese pressing, as the disc says "Made in Japan". I thought this was odd, but in searching the archives, a member under the moniker ultron9 reported finding the same mixed set back in March of last year. Here is a link to the thread, and below that is ultron9's quote.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=12826&page=3&pp=20&highlight=wheels

At first, I was perturbed by the mixed pressings. However, it's no big deal because disc one has all the bonus tracks! There are 13 tracks on disc one! As expected, disc two has four tracks.

On a sidenote, although this set was sealed and not marked used, it looks like it was lightly used. There are a few light scratches on the discs. I suppose the discs could have been scratched from spinning in the lift-lock jewel case, but I don't think so. They look lightly used. All in all, I can't complain with this set for $50. :)

By the way, I found a nice surprise at the store today. They had a sealed DCC CD of Paul McCartney and Wings Wings at the Speed of Sound for $30! It's not a cut-out, and the disc is flawless. :D

24. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Keith,

congrats on getting the bonus tracks! When I was in LA recently I managed to get a re-sealed but mint copy of the DCC WOF for $50 at Amoeba. They had two or three re-sealed copies at $50 but the others were not mint - definitely paid off having them un-seal them all for me to check! The best thing is that at that time I didn't know about the hidden tracks but by complete chance both of the discs were made in the USA :goodie: .

I seem to recall that they had a factory sealed copy for more like $100. The problem there is you don't know if you're getting the hidden tracks or not (although there is something about the stickers that gives you a clue I believe).

I didn't know about the possibility of getting a mixture of both US and Japanese discs - I guess it only really matters that disc 1 is the US pressing!!

What do you think of the sound?! For me, it's one of the greatest mastering feats of all time :nauga:.

:)

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Awesome score, Keith!

Disc one has some of the smoothest sounding vocals I've ever heard on disc. Crank it!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.