Thinking about Bobby Whitlock (and listening too)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by teaser5, Jun 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Since the first time I heard "Thorn Tree in the Garden" from Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs I knew it was written for me. It just so completely nailed the way I felt about a particular relationship that was very profound for a sixteen year old kid. Finding out years later that the song was about a dog didn't diminish the effect or my love for the song one bit. I always took extra pleasure in knowing that lots of people didn't even know that there was a song after Layla. Yes-"Thorn Tree" finished that amazing side of music.

It's funny how a musician will pop onto my radar screen for no apparent reason. I found some old Whitlock vinyl at the record show we went to a couple of weeks ago and they are wonderful (even for Dunhills :eek: ). Then I got his recent live CD called "Other Assorted Love Songs" on Ebay last week and have been listening to it non stop. On a whim I searched www.bobbywhitlock.com and found a shout out to our very own Mark Gould there for his fine review of this wonderful disc in Soundwaves. And then of course I saw Clapton last night.

Warts and all, "Layla" is one of my favorite albums of all time. I can vividly recall buying both that album and "Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore" at the same time. Two two-record sets at one time in those days was quite a hit on the wallet of a young kid. I remember like it was yesterday hearing on WHFS (used to be a cool underground radio station in Bethesda MD; now they suck) that Duane Allman had been killed. I was devastated.

Watching Clapton last night and thinking about Whitlock and I can't help but lament about the star crossed legacy of the players from those Layla sessions; Duane and Carl Radle dead, Jim Gordon in prison and Eric's demons well documented. Hearing Bobby Whitlock introduce his cover of Geroge Harrison's classic "All Things Must Pass" on his OALS album and reminisce about how Derek and The Dominos actually got their start as the studio band for that landmark solo Beatle album was quite powerful and now of course, George is gone too. Like the man himself once said: It's all too much...

I don't have much more of a point here except to say that this happens to me sometimes where all of a sudden I am thinking about an artist and then I hear them on the radio or someone posts something about them or something and then they are on my mind and on my turntable.

I guess my other point is that I am glad that Clapton is still with us even though I thought the show last night was kind of flat. I can remember standing in line outside Wolf Trap Park a couple of years ago. I camp out there every year to buy tickets for their summer season and was comparing notes with the other people in line. I told a few people that I was planning on getting tickets for Ray Charles and they all said "Oh man, I saw him and you get like a half hour of his back up band and then Ray plays for like 45 minutes" so I took a pass and now of course he's gone and I never got to see him. Frankly I'd have paid to watch Clapton tune his guitar.

And I am glad that Bobby Whitlock is still with us too. The voice is still powerful (picture Tom Waits with no cigarettes) and I think he still has a career which is cool. If he comes around here I will try to see him and shake his hand and get him to sign my album and I will tell him that I am glad that's he's still with us cause a lot of other cats aren't.

And I will always have "Thorn Tree in the Garden".

Peace-
    Norm

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I really enjoyed reading your post, Norm. Bobby Whitlock is an extremely gifted man and criminally under-appreciated by the general public. A few years ago, he and Eric reunited on Jools Holland's show in England for a few songs. It was a treat to hear those two perform together again. I expected that it would lead to a reunion but am still waiting....

Speaking of "Thorn Tree", it's one of my favorite songs. After being knocked sideways by the lyrics and melody, I am completely captivated by the recording quality. IIRC, the song was recorded with the Dominos gathered in a circle around a stereo microphone. I'm hoping that it will translate well on the upcoming 5.1 version of Layla.

3. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Norm,

I'm glad that you like the Bobby Whitlock solo LP that you picked up at the show. It's always nice to find an item that you've been searching for.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

4. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Nice post, Norm!

L.

5. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Great post Norm. I've never really understood why Bobby Whitlock is overlooked. His powerful voice added so much to the Dominoes, helping push Clapton to singing on a more emotional level himself. Derek & the Dominoes Live at the Fillmore is one of my all-time favorites.

6. teaser5

Thanks guys. I write some pretty strange stuff at two in the morning.
    Music can make a brother sentimental... ;)
    Peace-
    Norm
    :righton:

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

cool post, man. yeah, i dig whitlock too. i love his website(all pierced and such, with a beautiful, pierced blonde all over him...) and while im searching out his newer stuff, i have original copies of his vinyl lp's. im one of those weird cats that actually thinks "raw velvet" is a better lp than the first one. songs rock harder, production is better, sonics are better. but of course, i still think tom petty's best lp is his 2nd. anyhow, wanted just to chime in and thank you bringing up good memories. think i'll have a few sips of jack daniels tonight and listen to bobby, ec, and duane. here's to ya...

8. teaser5

Hey:
    Thanks a lot!
    I have to admit that I was pretty freaked to see they way Bobby looks now; monster arm tat and the nose ring. Still if it works for Kim Carmel(the blonde and his partner both in life and in music it seems) then it's cool with me. And his voice is still a knockout. You listen and you know why he was the first white act signed to Stax; dudes got a lot of soul. And "Raw Velvet" indeed rocks :righton:
    And as for that image of Whitlock, Clapton and Duane Allman playing acoustics around a single mic; it sends chills up my spine.
    Peace-
    Norm

9. Danny

Danny Senior Member

I always think of "Why Does Love Got to be So Sad" when I hear the name Bobby Whitlock. What a great track. I think he did a version of that on a solo lp called "Rock Your Sox Off". My brother had a copy of that, and I was familiar with that version before hearing the Derek and the Dominoes version.

Cool post Norm.

10. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Bobby W, doesn't come up very often. I last saw him, with his own group, playin' a local club about 1975.

11. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Norm:

Loved "Thorn Tree" from the first time I heard it too.

Am curious, what's Jim Gordon in prison for?

As for the Dominoes, I thought they formed (or most of 'em anyway) as Delaney & Bonnie's back-up band, and met Clapton there... or was "All Things Must Pass" recorded before that?

12. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

I believe that Jim Gordon killed his mother, and was found insane after he did it.

13. teaser5

Sadly, you are correct sir. He heard voices... :(
    Peace-
    Norm

14. teaser5

The story about hooking up as Harrisons studio band was taken from Bobbys recent live disc that I mentioned above. The stories there are as good as the music. He plays tons of old D&D stuff on there; Bell Bottom Blues, Why Does Love Gotta Be, Anyway...Go to the link and check it out

Peace-
    Norm

15. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Talk about a cursed band: two members dead, one in prison, one lucky to be alive (Derek), and then Whitlock. He seems to have emerged unscathed by comparison. I remember a quote of his when talking about the drug use at those sessions at Criteria -- something like, "You know how people measure drugs in ounces? There were no ounces of anything when we were in the studio."

16. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I imagine Duane Allman bought his coca-kola by the pound. I was at a party of his in 1970 and there was a serving plate, a big one, with about 2-3 onces of coke on the table for everyone. It was all hoovered up by later... I was proably the only person there not ingesting it in mass quanity. I did none. I did eat an acid browie that he said was laced with acid he got from the Dead...

I was never suprised by Duane's death. He drank his weight in wiskey every day seemingly, atleast on the days I was around him. I told him he was too close to the edge, he laughed it off. He was a happy-go-lucky dude till his luck tuned, decidedly.

17. peter

peter Senior Member

Norm:

Great post. You write very well. Thorn Tree totally killed me the first time I heard it too. I have 2 of BW's solo LP's: Raw Velvet on black ABC Dunhill label and a Dutch 70's press of self-titled. Love those records.

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

:thumbsup: Really, a great thread.

19. teaser5

Copy of the E-mail I received from Kim Carmel & Bobby Whitlock

I hope they don't mind if I paste this here. I am hoping that they log back on and join the fun. I was so happily surprised that they responded to my message to them. Here goes:

Dear Norm ,
    Well I was just writing your e-mail address down and was planning on sending you a message and found that you had already written . Bobby and I went to the S.H . forum...and were quite taken aback . Aside from all of the lovely things that everybody had to say , It made Bobby feel great. He said he cannot even describe the feeling that he has . We just wanted to say thank you .
    Thanks for mentioning the Rams Head Tavern , we'll look into it . And thank you for posting the website , Bobby has been away for some time , the road hasn't been an easy one. As for those early albums , he was a kid and only did the best he could when he was left quite alone to make huge decisions .
    They are tough to get a hold of , but I have re-mastered them and we hope to get interest to release them all .
    Thank you again , please keep in touch.
    Regards,
    Kim & Bobby

I wrote them back (of course). Stay tuned. Thanks again for all the interest in this thread
    Again: this place and you guys are the best!
    :righton:
    Peace-
    Norm

20. peter

peter Senior Member

Norm, this is a wonderful place, courtesy of people like you.

Stay Hip, bro.

21. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Great THREAD Norm.... :righton:

Bobby Whitlock's contribution to Layla can't be overstated. A great musician and songwriter.

And it all started at the Tyson's Record Show ... :) I was there. :) ;) :D

22. peter

peter Senior Member

Once again, Ben and I AGREE.

23. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

:righton: :laugh:

24. jdw

jdw Senior Member

Bobby Whitlock is a favorite musician and songwriter of mine. I loved his work with Delaney/Bonnie and The Dominos and also enjoyed his four '70s solo albums. Recently I even found a 45 single he recorded for Stax in 1967 or 1968.

I ordered the live CD and the limited edition demo from his website last year - he and Kim were kind enough to autograph one of them for me. I don't know if the demo is still available, but I highly recommend the live disc. The performances are wonderful and the disc has a natural, informal feel. Kim Carmel is very talented as well - she earns her place singing those classic songs...

I also want to recommend "It's About Time", the album Whitlock released in 1999 (on the UK "Grapevine" label). I think the CD is out of print, but it was distributed by Koch in North America so there might still be copies floating around. The album has some great new compositions and I was overjoyed to hear BW singing better than ever. Guests include Steve Cropper and Jim Horn and the album sounds great - the production is very "analogue" and warm...

I'm not sure what Mr. Whitlock has planned for the future, but I'd love to hear a jazzy organ-trio album (with vocals). He is one of the great Hammond organ players...

John
    Vancouver BC

25. teaser5

Funny: One that "Other Asst. Love Songs" CD he mostly plays guitar. I think that Kim plays guitar and alto sax. They make a lot of music for two people. Two amazing voices :agree:
    Peace-
    Norm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.