Need a Song Suggestion for a Scene in a Film...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Groovy, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member Thread Starter

OK. Here's the deal. I'm working on a film with Ray Romano and Kevin James. They play two traveling beef salesmen. There's a scene where they're in a car singing along to a song that they both know by heart.

Remember "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" where Steve Martin and John Candy are singing along to some song - Louis Armstrong maybe? John Candy is even doing the trombone part? They're both into it.

So, I need a song like that. One that they'd both know. With a little soul, but not too expensive to license.

Beatles and Beach Boys are way off... in terms of style and price.

"Land of 1000 Dances" is more on the money.

Anyone KNOW what they were singing in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles?" More along those lines...

OK - what are your suggestions?

JEFF!

2. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Jeff,
    I just thought of this one "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell and The Drells as I could see this in my head as you describe being done in a car. :agree: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I believe that in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" John Candy was singing alone with the radio while Steve Martin was sleeping. The song was the classic "Greenbacks" by Ray Charles. FUNNY scene!

As for your new project...hummm, traveling beef salesmen...I see that Hollywood has done "overtime" again for a thick plot! Well how about having them sing "SPAM" by Monty Python? I can see it now with Kevin James taking the "Lovely Spam, wonderful Spam" parts!
    Possibly "It ain't the meat, it's the motion" by Maria Muldaur could be used? Actually, having them sing to something "lighthearted" would be funny, maybe the Carpenters "Close To You" or "Sing"! I guess that it REALLY depends on where they are driving to or through, that may help in your song choice.

Sounds like a fun job that you have to tackle! Good luck!!!

Chris C

4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Surfin' Bird - The Trashmen own the rights to it these days, so they'd actually see some green from the deal. Imagine that manic monster blastin' outta the speakers in a theater!!!

5. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Rock 'n' Roll Hootchie Koo

6. chris w.

chris w. New Member

'Happiness' by Ken Dodd (UK comedian/singer, popular singer in '60s). It sounds rather like like "a p*nis" and you did say thay are beef salesmen!!!

'Happiness, happiness, the greatest thing that I possess...."

7. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I believe the Ray Charles tune from "Planes, Tranes and Automobiles" was "Mess Around".

The sing-along scene from the bus featured "Three Coins In A Fountain".

For the current Ray Romano/Kevin James film, how about "Boom Boom" by John Lee Hooker?
    "It's Your Thing" by the Isley Brothers might be a good track as well.

How about "Sea Cruise" by Frankie Ford? or...
    "Lucille" by Little Richard or....
    "Chain Of Fools" by Aretha Franklin

Just a few ideas. Good luck with the film! I'm a major fan of Ray and Kevin's work and can't wait to see this one. I heard a while back that they were looking for a project to do together--I'm glad they found it! :)

8. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

How about "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"? I think that qualifies as a song that most people know. It would be great seeing them sing it, especially with one taking on the girl part. I would just like to see Kevin James sing the line "and we were barely 17 and we were barely dressed". Now that would be funny!!

9. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Don't know about the other guy but Ray Romano is out of the age bracket that would know PBTDL by heart.

10. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

Absolutely...The texture of the song builds and shifts leading up to the classic echoey sound gargle orgasm...then the final power shift to mow mow ville! Perfect for visuals... and I might add that "Papa Ooo Mow Mow" means exactly the same in every language.

11. markl

markl Senior Member

It should be a funny song, or a slightly cheesy song that they would be reluctant to admit they like:

"In Cars" Gary Numan.

"Freeway of Love" Arethan Franklin

12. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Perhaps a boy/girl duet like Hey Paula??? Love is Strange????

13. Captain Groovy

HA - funny you mention this... Meatloaf is actually being entertained for a role in the film so this is pretty much out as Ray mentioned this VERY TUNE to me last night as his SOLE suggestion, and I said "no" for the same reason.

Great minds must think alike!

JEFF!

14. Captain Groovy

HA! Wrong - HE KNOWS IT BY HEART IN REAL LIFE! The whole "Bat Out of Hell" album complete, in fact as he told me last night, coincidentally!

JEFF!

15. Captain Groovy

You are correct - it was "Mess Around." Very good.

I will be checking out "Surfin' Bird," Boom Boom," "Sea Cruise," "Lucille," and "Chain of Fools" so far...

THIS IS ALL GOOD - what else along that vein?...

JEFF!

16. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Hmmm... How about something like Eddie Money, "Two Tickets to Paradise?" same era as Meat Loaf and similar arena-rock style.

Gary

17. Captain Groovy

HOLY CRAP - that's the second guy whose been mentioned who may be getting a part in the film - you don't work for the casting director, do you?...

So far, Meatloaf and Eddie Money (who is friends with Kevin James) have been brought up for the scene, but shot down because they may appear in the film.

Hilarious. Now you've mentioned what Kevin mentioned. Great minds DO think alike...

JEFF!

18. Captain Groovy

What other songs are there like "Shake a Tail Feather" by Ray Charles?

JEFF!

19. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Brother Ray may have covered "Shake a Tail Feather," but it was a hit for James and Bobby Purify.

How 'bout "Don't Let the Green Grass Fool Ya" by Wilson Pickett? Just picture it. Or too obscure?

P.S. I keep flashing back to Albert Brooks and Dan Ackroyd in a car, singing along to CCR's version of "Midnight Special" in the Twilight Zone movie. That worked real well!

20. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Okay. Here we go. This MAY be it.

Drum roll please...

Benny Mardones from the 1980 classic, Never Run, Never Hide...

"Into the Night"!

or, perhaps...

"Mighta Been Love"

Gary

21. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

"Paralyzed" by the Legendary Stardust Cowboy. People would remember a scene like that.

22. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

How about Gimmie Some Loving by Spencer Davis (The US frat party version). They could play air bass and organ.

23. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

There was an episode of "King of Queens" that Eddie Money appreared in last season with Kevin.

24. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

"Killing Me Softly"
    No matter what the context of the scene, it would be funny imho.

25. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Both Kevin James and Ray Romano are around my age, and what were white suburban boys like me listening to when we were teens? Certainly not anything that could be described as soulful. No, we were all listening to some really corny stuff from the likes of Styx, Queen, REO Speedwagon, Cheap Trick, Journey, Foreigner, or even Kiss. I think movies often make the mistake of making everyone have cooler taste in music than they should. One of the best "singin'-to-the-radio" scenes in the movies is from "Tommy Boy," where David Spade and Chris Farley can't agree on what to listen to, and then they accidentally tune to The Carpenters' "Superstar." Both of them roll their eyes at first, say how the Carpenters suck, and then a few seconds later both of them are beltin' out the lyrics like there's no tomorrow.

By the way, the XM radio's on in the backround, and the Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" just came on. There's a song we all loved and knew the lyrics to. Now it's Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart Again," which would probably be way too hip, but it'd be funny, especially now that Joy Division is experiencing a bit of a revival.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.