OK, So What Rare SACDs Am I Likely to Find at My Local BestBuy?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thegage, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd Thread Starter

Prompted by the SRV thread, I cruised by my local BestBuy and found two sealed copies of SRV's "Couldn't Stand the Weather." :D

Not surprising since there seems to be little traffic for SACDs in my area, and in fact the store downgraded their support a while back by halving the size of the SACD section. In any case, any other ones I should paw through the stacks for? In the other thread someone mention "Bat out of Hell." Is it rare?--they have two copies.

John K.

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Good topic. What ARE the rarest ones?

3. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Hey John any chance of selling me one??? Pretty Please!!! Please PM me if you are interested.

4. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Some of the Sony's I saw on Monday were:
    Tapestry
    Bangles GH
    Boston
    Texas Flood
    Satch
    Jeff Beck

AF's:
    Mayall
    Bob James
    Raggae
    R. Valens
    Cal Tjader

DCC's:
    I wish

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

James Taylor's JT is getting pretty hard to find and the Bat out of Hell is also getting pretty rare.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yes, but you can still buy JT online last I looked (AS). Bat Out Of Hell isn't anywhere convenient, even online.

Heck, if anyone finds a loose SACD of Bat, let me know too!

7. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

I would put in my two cents, which by the way is worth excactly two cents;
    ANY 'Sony' single layer stereo.
    Cause, if it ain't rare, it's going too BE!!!

8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I was just at the Syracuse N.Y. Best Buy and I found the Stereo Original "Tapestry" and they had 3 copies of Bat Out Of Hell so they are still around.

Barry

9. Sckott

Sony oh Sony!
    Oh Where Can You Be
    You Haven't Got any SACDs for me
    I tried the store and and I tried online
    They turn me away most every time
    Some titles are here but the others are not
    Did they go out of print because they weren't so damn hot?
    Or maybe some sold while you hold back
    And you're coming in July with a DualDisc attack
    eBay has a few, they're going for huge money
    But if I pay I'll get in huge trouble with the honey
    I could stock up on Miles, maybe get some JTs
    But some of them are only bought oversea$
    Bangles is missing, Janis n' Co. is gone
    The Best Buy racks musta been hit by a bomb!
    Such dynamic picture, slick sound and imaging
    But why is Sony not restocking anything?
    Mobile Fidelity has some, Chad has some too
    But with this economy, I'll bite more than I can chew
    All that work on titles seems to go down the drain
    Finding what is out of print can drive me insane
    So I'll just play what I have, make my purchases final
    What I'll lose I'll buy back when I start spinning vinyl.

10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

The Bestbuys up here are getting MORE SACD's in, not less. Guess we're lucky.

I see tons of Sony stuff. Almost everything mentioned above.....except Meatloaf.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I tell you what, try finding a copy of Dark Side of the Moon SACD!! No, seriously. Two different BB I went to have been completely out. I already have a good Japan-made version, but it is unsettling to find a dozen remastered redbook copies with no SACDs in sight.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Stereo or MCH?

14. Sckott

Sam's right. Even Wallyworld, where I got my SACD of DSOTM, all gone. The stock issues are there. That's it.

What's VERY ODD is Stereophile had a full page ad for Capitol's SACD of DSOTM, and that was only 2 mo. ago.

Oh, and someone was nice enough to scout a copy of Bat for me. Thanks! Hope it's Mch, but I'm almost positive it will be!

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

So what's stranger: the fact that all SACD copies of DSOTM "sold out", or the fact that they're not being replaced?

There were dozens of SACD copies at any given Best Buy or WalMart. I know it moved a few copies, but every last one?

16. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

They seem to keep stocking them at my Best Buy.

17. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Last time I was in my local Best Buy, the same tired stock was in the shelves, with SACDs mis-filed under DVD-A, DTS discs thrown in with DVD-A :shake: ...they just don't give a crap around here. They never had the Steely Dans, never the new Diana Krall, very poor inventory.

18. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Maybe the rarer Sony titles might be some of the stuff that you never see/saw carried at Busted Buy or Circus City, like, say, Johnnny Winter, Phil Lesh, Grover Washington, and maybe some of those late, hardly noticed ones like Vivian Green and MaryMary and a couple of others I noticed but didn't buy a month ago. Seems like they were a couple of relatively obscure female R & B/hoppies, type, discs that came out in Febuary, proably destined for rare-ity-ness? I forgot their names...saw 'em in Busted Buy. The way things are going all SA-CD's may end up rare? Except maybe the Stones & Dylan & Gabriel & Bowie, but then there's more demand for them too, generally. Rare can be a relative thang, sort'a?

19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I always see MaryMary and Johnny Winter at my Best Buys :D

Actually with Sony announcing the Dylan Hybrids are being replaced by redbook only versions, there's not telling what the next 12 months has in store for SACD :shake:

20. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

Well, my local Best Buy doesn't seem to be letting it's SACD stock dwindle. I just got Steve's Deep Purple BBC hybrid there this weekend. (Excellent disc, Steve!!)

However, the DSOTM SACD stock status isn't good around here, either.

21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

22. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Can you post a link to this announcement?

I know that Sony plans to release redbook-only versions, and that (based on this) members of this site have drawn the conclusion that the SACDs are going away, but that doesn't make it true.

- joe s

23. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

OK, so I went to Best Buy during my lunch break to pick up some blank discs. While there, I checked out the DVD-A/SACD section and they had Bat Out of Hell. What I didn't realize was that one was stereo only and one was muti-channel. I grabbed the stereo one. I'm honestly not interested in this title, but if anyone wants it, I'll sell it for the sticker price of $16.99 plus tax. Any takers? It's unopened. I can even send a picture for verification. If not, I'll just return it. If anyone wants the multi-channel version, I could even grab that one for you. Just thought I'd help you poor, deprived Meatloaf fans. :D

24. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

This is what is great about SH forums. Forum members willing to pick up stuff at cost for other forum members. This is truly a great website. :edthumbs:

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000509262

I don't want to act like the sky is falling, but there's no way even Sony will have double-inventory of value-priced Dylan redbook CDs alongside Hybrid SACDs in the same rack. Just doesn't follow any logic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.