Stevie Ray Vaughan Couldn't Stand the Weather SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tlake6659, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member Thread Starter

Can anyone help me find where I could purchase this title (besides E-Bay). I was holding out for the multichannel version of this, but I fear that Sony might not release it, and I really want at least the stereo SACD version. It seems to be out of print, and I can't find it anywhere, can any forum members help me out?

2. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Ted,

If you are near any Best Buy stores, they should still have it in stock. I think it is one of the easier Sony titles to find.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

3. tlake6659

I can't find it at any of the Brick and Mortar stores in my area. Does anyone know where I could find it online???

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

"Texas Flood" still seems to be easy to find. "Couldn't Stand The Weather" seems to be gone just about everywhere--the only copy I saw on Amazon in months of looking was horrendously priced. I recently scored "Weather" on eBay for just over $19--got it last week, in fact. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4008821043) Normally they're going for $25 or more. Wish they'd done the other two ("Soul to Soul" and "In Step") so I could have a complete set of the four studio albums! They sound very close to the remastered CDs, IMHO, but naturally I prefer the SACD for listening at home. :) I'd only be mildly upset if they re-released all four for SACD. As long as the two-channel still sounds good, I'm happy.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I didn't know that the SACD was out of print. Huh. Way to go Sony. :rolleyes:

6. tlake6659

Keith,

I think that it went out of print because Sony was supposed to release a multichannel version of it over a year ago. Still have not released it and God only knows when or if they will. Should have got the stereo SACD when I could have. :realmad:

7. KeithH

You're probably right. Sony has dropped the ball with SACD. It seems like they never turn out new titles. I'm still waiting for a domestic SACD of Miles Davis Bitches Brew. :(

8. tlake6659

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

10. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I guess I won't hold my breath for more Santana remasters. I really balk at paying around $50 for "Caravanserai". I may just live with the CD remaster and be done with it. My buddy is stationed in Japan and may try to find this one for me, but even over there, it's selling for about $35 at HMV.

11. KeithH

I don't really want to pay hmv.co.jp money for the Bitches Brew JSACD. For now, the Legacy remastered CD will do.

12. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I didn't know that any Sony SACDs went out of print already. :realmad:

This is absurd. If SACD is to continue on and build a market it needs all the support it can get. Instead we have the co-developer of the format placing tites OOP, and they have a hold on new releases. The only true push is coming from Universal Music (this is good), and smaller labels like Telarc.

So what is the "true" future of the format going to be?

The only positive is that I have purchased so many SACDs, that if the format does hit rock bottom with new releases and desired titles going OOP - I could stand to make a few bucks on ebay. ;)

13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Couldn't Stand The Weather is way OOP, and very difficult to get. When I finally did get my copy, I was very pleased with it. The sound is very smooth and analog, and the bass is well defined and detailed. The high end is open and very smooth. Overall I would give this disc a 9.6 for sonics.

A way different story for Texas Flood. I did not like the sound of the SACD, it was gritty, and it had no definition. I really felt that the bass on Texas Flood was smothered, and the top end had a gritty sound that distracted from the enjoyment of this title. I have both of these SACDs as well as both George Thorogood SACDs, and out of all four the only one that sounds "bad" is Texas Flood.

Although COULDN'T STAND THE WEATHER is a very difficult SACD to locate, it is well worth it. I bought mine on ebay about 1 year ago, and I did pay a hefty premium because it is OOP. But we all have to do what we have to do.

14. tlake6659

I personally liked the SACD of Texas Flood, and am surprised that Rocky did not like it. Put on the bonus track of Tin Pan Alley turn it way up, and tell me that doesn't put a big grin on your face. Absolutely killer, I just wish it did not fade out early :( , also the track Lenny on the SACD is really, really good. That is why I am deperately seeking out the SACD of CSTW, I really want to hear the title track, Stang's Swang, and Things that I use to do in DSD.

15. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks Ted L., I will definately give both of these discs another listen, because it is possible that I am confusing these discs. One of these disc was dirty and gritty, and the other disc was open and clean. I will have to give a very good listen to both and report back here my findings.

16. tlake6659

Please do, looking forward to your findings Rocky.

17. KeithH

I think both SACDs are excellent.

18. KeithH

By the way, has anyone checked www.circuitcity.com? Last time I checked, which was several months ago, they had a very large inventory of SACDs.

What about Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct, or Elusive Disc?

19. tlake6659

Can't get into the Elusive Disc website right down, but all of the others don't have it. :cry: Thanks for the suggestions Keith, I have also checked Tower Records, Red Trumpet, and CD Universe with no such luck.

20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

For what it is worth the MyMusic.com site shows a multichannel release of CSTW as "coming soon" (June 2004)

Barry

21. markl

markl Senior Member

Speaking as an SRV fan, IMO, FWIW, both of the stereo SACD versions of Texas Flood and Couldn't Stand the Weather, are so far above and beyond any of the Redbook versions it's not even funny. It's very hard and expensive to find the SACD version of Couldn't Stand the Weather, but even if you pay $23 as I did via E-Bay, it's SO WORTH IT!!

These are some of the best SACDs I own. The enjoyment factor is increased so much, IMO, it's very much worth the extra investment, which I can't say about every SACD I've ever bought.

Mark

22. KeithH

What does the Couldn't Stand the Weather SACD go for these days on eBay? $23 is too far above what it sold for in stores. I seem to recall paying $18 or so for mine at Best Buy.

23. markl

markl Senior Member

E-bay is the only place you can find it, nowadays, in my experience. How much it's worth is up to you as an individual. To me, this is RARE stuff, that stands on its own, not dupilicatable, PERIOD, a TREASURE.

No other possibility but to pay FULL RETAIL. Luckily, this happens to be one of the better SACDs ever released (IMO), therefore it justifies its price on e-bay. Especially when you consider certain Hoffman mastered Gold CDs retail for $100 or more on ebay, it's well worth it's asking price, IMO.

Mark

24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If I go buy a copy on EBay guaranteed it will be out as a Multichannel release ASAP. I am going to hold off as the picture of the Multichannel release of the CSTW SACD is on the MyMUSIC.com web page is promising. Some people are trying to get $129 for it used on Amazon.com. Yeah Right

Barry

25. KeithH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.