Elvin Jones: one of the most moving things I've read recently

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lschwart, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Louis: thank you for posting this about one of the remaining original giants of jazz. Very sad, indeed.

3. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

That's horrible! He is one of the greats.

4. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Thanks, Louis. I'm sure his wife is frantic with grief, and I know that the doctor's advice to be at home with family and friends makes sense, but I'd rather spend my last minutes playing my music with my wife hugging me ... sorry, I'm overcome at the thought of that evening outside SF ... this is so sad to me ... God bless Elvin Jones and his family.

5. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Why the hell were dragging a dying man on a stage?! WTF?!

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Wow! How sad.....but I can understand why he would want to spend his last days literally 'in the saddle' again.....a great talent and when it comes, a terribly great loss to every jazz lover around the world. Took real bravery and commitment to do that gig, not to mention on the part of his family and friends.

ED

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Obviously, because that's what Elvin wanted. As I said, amazing that he went through with it....to the end, a man who loved his work and was fortunate enough to hang with some of the titans of the art.

ED

8. Mark

Mike: I understand your observation, but it seems that's it's what he wanted and where he wanted to be.

9. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I don't know- it all seems very fishy. Being fed drumsticks by his wife in the middle of a performance? Firing all his doctors? Even if that's what he wanted, is it right to do that?

10. Mark

I guess it's his decision.

11. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Thanks for the link, Louis. I got to see Elvin do a clinic at the Percussive Arts Society in 2002, and even then he was pretty slow and weak. The place was packed and he got a lot of love and respect from fellow drummers. He's such an amazing talent.

12. lschwart

Yes. This is an image that won't be leaving my mind for a long long time. Can't imagine what it must have been like to actually see it (I won't even try and imagine what it would be like to be more closely involved than that).

L.

13. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

This says it all Gardo. I was just playing one of Phineas Newborn albums with Elvin & Ray Brown before I read the original post. Maybe it's time to put the SACD of A LOVE SUPREME since Elvin's clearly close to the end. Thanks for the amazing music, E. :(

14. lschwart

Yes. And play it loud!

L.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.