Loretta Lynn "Van Lear Rose"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member Thread Starter

Picked up a promo of this one a few days ago and have been listening to it constantly ever since. Great songs (all Loretta originals) and amazing production and backup from Jack White of the White Stripes fame. Approx. half of the album sounds like her vocals were mixed with outtakes from the Stripes last album, while the other half are somewhat closer to traditional country. "Portland, Oregon" has to be the song of the year! I was blown away when I first heard it. I'd love to make the jarheads who lumped the White Stripes in with The Strokes, Hives, etc. a few years ago listen to this and see their reaction. Will be very interesting to see how the country music establishment responds to this one...

[​IMG]

2. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I've been looking forward to picking this up. Best Buy has it for $9.99.

Sean

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

4. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Have to get this one! The cover is just so gorgeous and I simply love when two so apparently different universes of music mesh instead of clash.

5. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

rare 4-star review in USA TODAY (today), FWIW.

doug

6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Sounds Interesting. As different as Tammy Wynette with the KLF?

7. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member Thread Starter

"Portland Oregon" is the strongest track on the album IMHO but several others are quite good. Which sort of radio station did you hear it on? (Format-wise, that is.) Radio around here is so unadventerous that I'll be shocked if it receives local airplay.

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Most likely, you'd hear this on AAA stations or any program catering to the "Americana" format.

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

BTW, I sampled a little bit of this on Amazon, I will have to pick it up.

10. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I can't wait to buy this! Must swing by the big Target tonight and see if they've got a good price on it.
    Dan C

11. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Target has this one for 9.98, this CD is absolutely amazing. Like Loretta says, you have to listen to this with an open mind. I did, and I will be listening to this for a long time to come.

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Well, a big thanks to my fellow members for making me aware of this disc. After I saw it here, I started seeing reviews.......4 stars.....5 stars.....4.5 stars. I HAD to get it.
    If this isn't the Grammy winner for album of the year, then I don't know what is!!
    Portland Oregan.....man what a song.....it's Loretta Zeppelin! :righton:

13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Best album I have heard all year IMO!

14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

There is a good article on Loretta in the new No Depression magazine

15. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Has there been any word of a tour to support the record?

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Most things I mix have more than 8 tracks of percussion! :laugh:

I love his philosophy. If you want to recreate the music you worship, like Hank or the Beatles, why does it take 56 tracks to do so?

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It's almost like that old saying......a good musician knows when NOT to play!

18. John B Good

"way too much opportunity to overproduce" - the kid is absolutely right on. Be interesting to know how long it took to make this record, back in the 60's she probably made an album in a week?

"Loretta Zeppelin". :)

Will pick up this cd, but will have to listen to a record from that young white boy too

19. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Just got mine. This is a incredible album. Loretta sings her *** off, sounds less than half her age and is totally energized. I give Jack White all the credit for this most non-Nashville sounding of a pure country album.

20. John B Good

Just got it today - some reeeally great stuff, and great variety.

"Have Mercy" is acid rockabilly; "High on a Mountain Top" could have come from the Grand Old Opry. "Womens' Prison" has some mournful organ over almost narration. "Mrs Leroy Brown" seems to belong to that forgotten genre of Answer Songs, I hope Jim Croce is smiling up there. :)

Interesting seguing? or are some of the tracks just very close together?

Lots of sturdy guitar strums, high steel guitar arcs in the background, and varied pacing. None of that tedious machine drumming common in current country

I don't know if she was always a songwriter, but I'm rather surprised at how strong most of these songs are. I generally don't approve of albums that don't contain some covers, but I've got no problem with this one. 38 minutes of quality beats 79 of mostly crap anyday.

I just loooked at AMG and see she has issued a large number of albums starting in the early 60's, very few of which are available in cd format.

When I'm comfortable, I'm gonna try the disk in sequence with Neko Case and some kd lang. And a case of beer would be a good idea too.

21. SuperMusicFan2003

SuperMusicFan2003 New Member

I have never been a big Loretta Lynn fan and I have never purchased an album from her, that is until now.

"Van Lear Rose" must be one of the best albums I've ever heard. It's goes places where you'd expect and like someone said earlier, Loretta seems to be energized and she does sing her tail off.

I give much credit to Jack White for his production here, and gotta say I love that analogue tape hiss.

I have recommended this album to everyone I know and have played for a few friends. I'll tell them to just listen and won't tell them who the disc is by and once they find out that it's Loretta their jaws droop.

22. clayton

clayton Senior Member

My Kids are like OOH dad what's with the country music and when I tell them Jack Whites involved thay said OOH Cool, Anyway I always prefered folks like Loretta, Johnny Cash, Willie etc over the hat crowd. Lots of honesty in the country music old guard

23. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I REALLY want this cut to LP!

This great CD only adds to my recent interest in classic country artists. I also want to explore more of Loretta's work.

I love comeback stories like this, don't you?

Dan C

24. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

This is really an incredible album. Even those who aren't country fans will find a lot to like here. I hate to say statements like this, but this really is an album that for sure will be considered a classic. The song Little Red Shoes cracks me up! :D

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i hate to be the negative one, but any early linda ronstadt album with waddy wachtal on guitar sounds just as good to me.

sorry for the negativity.

renny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.